Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera update - A40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera update - A40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Speed camera update - A40 Reply with quote

I've just submitted two updates, I hope they make sense.

On the A40 near Acton, the DB says there are two cameras. When I drove past there on Sunday, there seemed to be just one in the middle of the dual carriageway. So, I have amended one to be reversable and suggested the other can be deleted.

Is that the right thing to do?

cheers

Alan
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently not. See here.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed camera update - A40 Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
I've just submitted two updates, I hope they make sense.

On the A40 near Acton, the DB says there are two cameras. When I drove past there on Sunday, there seemed to be just one in the middle of the dual carriageway. So, I have amended one to be reversable and suggested the other can be deleted.

Is that the right thing to do?

cheers

Alan

we normally put 2 cameras in the DB when it is a dual carraigeway - there are quite a few units that need the camera to be on a physical road so one in themiddle would not be 'picked up' - hence the duplicate - one for each carriageway :D

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be better moved to the speed camera forum section?

The reason why there are two cameras shown depends on your system.

Brands like the TomTom cannot use the "direction" information, but can use their "warn only when on route" system.
This means that in the case of a single camera which can be spun round to work in either direction, ON A DUAL CARRIAGEWAY; if there was only ONE entry in the database it is likely the TomTom would not register it when you travelled in one of the directions. therefore the decision was made to add TWO icons directly in the middle of each carriageway.

I've often meant to ask MaFt (the database supremo), how this is handled on other machines that CAN use the heading info.
It's probably too late now but maybe there should have been some better indication in the numbering system for when two apparent cameras were really just one.
I'd thought of Gatso:12345 and Gatso:12345A or Gatso:12345.1 maybe?

Or maybe there is already some clever way to strip out the "doubles" on the download for systems that can use the headings, and it just hasn't worked here?

Any words of wisdom MaFt?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

I've often meant to ask MaFt (the database supremo), how this is handled on other machines that CAN use the heading info.
It's probably too late now but maybe there should have been some better indication in the numbering system for when two apparent cameras were really just one.
I'd thought of Gatso:12345 and Gatso:12345A or Gatso:12345.1 maybe?

Or maybe there is already some clever way to strip out the "doubles" on the download for systems that can use the headings, and it just hasn't worked here?

Any words of wisdom MaFt?

the numbering is automatic and cannot be over-ridden so can at times seem random!

devices that can handle the heading data will simply be warned of one camera going one way, and the other camera going the other way!

MaFt
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - well, just delete my submissions then

regards

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: