Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Service Pack 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Pack 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have installed the SP2 on my S90 it has been good as gold, not rebooted yet in over a week, and used daily, really fast menus now and TMC works really well too.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowwolf wrote:
Since I have installed the SP2 on my S90 it has been good as gold, not rebooted yet in over a week, and used daily, really fast menus now and TMC works really well too.

Hmmm... but do you make use of custom POIs?

When you say TMC "works well", do you mean it works in some way better than before? If so, in what precise manner does it work better?

--

Cheers,

Dave
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update, i spoke to navman technical about the constant crashing problems since i upgraded to sp2 and they told me to do a complete restore.
they sent me the instructions on how to do it via email and i have to admit since i have done it the machine is performing much faster and as of yet hasnt crashed once. i know its early days yet and no doubt the machine will crash but have to say there is definately an improvement on how quicker the machine responds to when u tap on an item. fingers crossed!!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Quicker Reply with quote

Yes , SP2 definately makes the S Series quicker and slicker - but not tomtom quick - !!!

Noticed

TMC improved information at bottom of screen (eg. x incidents on your route, etc.) and improved access to TMC menu from TMC view

Less u-turns if you via off course

Smoother menus (much improved)

No crash since update

I've been running with a TomTom 720 either alongside my S90i or instead of the past week or so, and must say that I'll stick, for the moment, with my s90i

I like the route speed of the TomTom, and menu speed and responsiveness, and the "turn right over the roundabout", etc. roundabout directions. Also the overspeed notifier is superior

General directions (clarity, timing and content) together with mapping image is better on the S90

I run my S90i with PGPSW mobile cameras (only) loaded and it hasn't crashed once since the update, and it is in constant use by either myself or my collegue (the TomTom owner)

By the way, even he (an age-old tomtom user and someone who hates change) commented on the S90s exceptionally clear voice guidance
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no problems after the SP2 install.

TMC works really fast, as soon as I plug the unit in the holder and put the aerial in the socket, any road problems appear straight away on the screen, before the update, it seemed to take forever to find any problems on the roads.

Still not had it crash after install of SP2

Menu's are so much quicker now, I have my POI's turned on too
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quicker Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

TMC improved information at bottom of screen (eg. x incidents on your route, etc.)

Strange - my "non-upgraded" (I never installed SP1 either) S90i has always given me that information...

xtraseller wrote:

and improved access to TMC menu from TMC view

Again, with I've always been able to access this with just a single screen-tap.

xtraseller wrote:

Less u-turns if you via off course

Now I always found that was a bit unpredictable - sometimes it would nag you to u-turn for about half a mile before re-routing. At other times it tried once and then re-routed. Overall, though, this always worked pretty well in my experience.

xtraseller wrote:

Smoother menus (much improved)

Can't say the menus on mine were ever "rough"....? Indeed one of the few positive aspects of my S90i was its slick operation in most respects.

xtraseller wrote:

No crash since update

Never been a problem for me.

snowwolf wrote:

TMC works really fast, as soon as I plug the unit in the holder and put the aerial in the socket, any road problems appear straight away on the screen, before the update, it seemed to take forever to find any problems on the roads.

And once again, this is something that my S90i has always been really good at. I've always started to receive messages within about ten seconds.

From these descriptions it doesn't sound like SP2 has anything to offer me that I don't already have. So could it be that I have a peculiar version of the software and/or firmware which pre-empted SP2... or is it that you guys & gals have customised your units in such a way that unwittingly led to problems that SP2 has reversed?

--

Cheers

Dave
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Different Reply with quote

It could be Dave that we are all, thankfully, different and interperate things differently and see some things as positives, others see as negatives. That is why there are almost always lots of companies successful at providing the same service or product, throughout the world

BTW Smooth / Rough was refering to the speed they transfer, hot how they look, TMC incident info maybe this was me, but I have NEVER seen this before, and use my S90i virtually every day (since launch), maybe my main driving area, which isn't very incident prone. U-turns and its love of them have ALWAYS been an issue with Navman software (for most users) - it doesn't seem to be anymore
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Different Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
It could be Dave that we are all, thankfully, different and interperate things differently and see some things as positives, others see as negatives. That is why there are almost always lots of companies successful at providing the same service or product, throughout the world

Question Question Sorry, I'm not at all clear what point you are making here. The points I have made are based on factual observation of what my unit does, not "interpretation".

xtraseller wrote:

BTW Smooth / Rough was refering to the speed they transfer, hot how they look

OK, thanks. Again, though, this simply has never been an issue on my unit - it moves from one screen to another very quickly (certainly less than quarter of a second, if you want some quantification on that). The issue I *do* have with it is that in order to go from the 3D View to the Entire Route view, you have pass through the 2D, Traffic and List views first - woefully bad design - definite lack of slickness there. Has that been addressed with SP2 ?

xtraseller wrote:

TMC incident info maybe this was me, but I have NEVER seen this before, and use my S90i virtually every day (since launch), maybe my main driving area, which isn't very incident prone.

Indeed - my unit usually says "0 incidents on your route". So, as before, this does not represent an enhancement. It's actually a bug fix for those units that had somehow lost this functionality.

xtraseller wrote:

U-turns and its love of them have ALWAYS been an issue with Navman software (for most users) - it doesn't seem to be anymore

I guess, then, that this is a question of degree. For me the "nag level" is about right. Arguably what NavMan should have done was to have used SP2 to provide an enhancement with which users had the option to instruct the software to never issue a u-turn instruction at all (I think recent Navigon units have this option). Of course this is a common-sense and simple enhancement and, therefore, we're not likely to see it on a NavMan unit.

So, for me, SP2 remains a whole bundle of nothingness. I assume they've not bothered to correct minor but irritating faults like the postcode input bug?

--

Cheers,

Dave
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: SP2 Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not at all clear what point you are making here. The points I have made are based on factual observation of what my unit does, not "interpretation".

Same here

Quote:
OK, thanks. Again, though, this simply has never been an issue on my unit - it moves from one screen to another very quickly (certainly less than quarter of a second, if you want some quantification on that). The issue I *do* have with it is that in order to go from the 3D View to the Entire Route view, you have pass through the 2D, Traffic and List views first - woefully bad design - definite lack of slickness there. Has that been addressed with SP2 ?

That is poor menu design, and I have to agree. However, it is nice to have the option to access all these layouts from the navigation screen, without going through a menu system, and you definately don't want to end up with a magnifier as on the Navigon software these days, where yes it is a lot of info, but you just cannot read it quickly, when driving. A guess a fly-out menu would satisfy all

Quote:
Indeed - my unit usually says "0 incidents on your route". So, as before, this does not represent an enhancement. It's actually a bug fix for those units that had somehow lost this functionality.

This is what a Service Pack does - fix issues which surround us in all software releases, where-ever they come from. Upgrades (usually chargeable) bring significant changes to product functionality. This will be in the form of SmartST 2nd Edition for the Navman units in question, available late June this year, which will give you a live POI facility, and up dated maps. TomTom, Navigon, etc. all do this

Quote:
I guess, then, that this is a question of degree. For me the "nag level" is about right. Arguably what NavMan should have done was to have used SP2 to provide an enhancement with which users had the option to instruct the software to never issue a u-turn instruction at all (I think recent Navigon units have this option). Of course this is a common-sense and simple enhancement and, therefore, we're not likely to see it on a NavMan unit

Options are always good. Indeed I beleive my Navman icn630 used to have this tickbox. Also you need to know it is not that the Navman doesn't now ask you to perform a u-turn, it just is more sensitive to reasonable alternative routes you may be trying to peform, so not quite so persistant in making u-turns. This makes sense, surely? Unless you are just driving around aimlessly, as there will be a reason why you haven't followed its directions (busy road, roadworks, etc.)

Quote:
So, for me, SP2 remains a whole bundle of nothingness. I assume they've not bothered to correct minor but irritating faults like the postcode input bug?

Again for me it is logical to have ABC predictive for an address, with its fuzzy logic, but a postcode which is an accurate 7 digit direct input - why would you select that from a list? You wouldn't. For me it is forsight that if you select ABC predictive input for addresses, it changes back to QWERTY for postcodes and then back again for addresses. Very logical, and perfect[/quote]
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: SP2 Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not at all clear what point you are making here. The points I have made are based on factual observation of what my unit does, not "interpretation".

Same here

Quote:

That is poor menu design, and I have to agree. However, it is nice to have the option to access all these layouts from the navigation screen, without going through a menu system, and you definately don't want to end up with a magnifier as on the Navigon software these days, where yes it is a lot of info, but you just cannot read it quickly, when driving. A guess a fly-out menu would satisfy all

Quote:

This is what a Service Pack does - fix issues which surround us in all software releases, where-ever they come from. Upgrades (usually chargeable) bring significant changes to product functionality. This will be in the form of SmartST 2nd Edition for the Navman units in question, available late June this year, which will give you a live POI facility, and up dated maps. TomTom, Navigon, etc. all do this

Quote:
I guess, then, that this is a question of degree. For me the "nag level" is about right. Arguably what NavMan should have done was to have used SP2 to provide an enhancement with which users had the option to instruct the software to never issue a u-turn instruction at all (I think recent Navigon units have this option). Of course this is a common-sense and simple enhancement and, therefore, we're not likely to see it on a NavMan unit

Options are always good. Indeed I beleive my Navman icn630 used to have this tickbox. Also you need to know it is not that the Navman doesn't now ask you to perform a u-turn, it just is more sensitive to reasonable alternative routes you may be trying to peform, so not quite so persistant in making u-turns. This makes sense, surely? Unless you are just driving around aimlessly, as there will be a reason why you haven't followed its directions (busy road, roadworks, etc.)

Quote:

Again for me it is logical to have ABC predictive for an address, with its fuzzy logic, but a postcode which is an accurate 7 digit direct input - why would you select that from a list? You wouldn't. For me it is forsight that if you select ABC predictive input for addresses, it changes back to QWERTY for postcodes and then back again for addresses. Very logical, and perfect[/quote]
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SP2 Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Quote:

Same here

Sorry, I'm still none the wiser with respect to the implication of your original statement.

xtraseller wrote:

Absolutely agree with you. Again, this is one of those ergonomic ideas that is so obviously natural yet NavMan decided to implement it in an utterly stupid manner instead. It's even more galling because to view the journey stats (ETA, Time of Arrival, Mileage, etc), that functionality *does* use a fly-out menu - so why not use the same idea for switching between map views? It's Jaguar XJS syndrome: three teams of developers working on it, none of whom were talking to each other.

xtraseller wrote:

Quote:

This is what a Service Pack does - fix issues which surround us in all software releases, where-ever they come from.

So I am correct, then? This is a bug fix, not an "enhancement" as NavMan's press release states.

xtraseller wrote:

Upgrades (usually chargeable) bring significant changes to product functionality. This will be in the form of SmartST 2nd Edition for the Navman units in question, available late June this year, which will give you a live POI facility, and up dated maps.

Sadly it's of no interest to me unless the update is going to address the areas of the software that are badly designed and/or a full TMC implementation.

xtraseller wrote:

Also you need to know it is not that the Navman doesn't now ask you to perform a u-turn, it just is more sensitive to reasonable alternative routes you may be trying to peform, so not quite so persistant in making u-turns.

Fair enough but, as I said, in my experience the vast majority of times, it behaved perfectly reasonably anyway.

xtraseller wrote:

Again for me it is logical to have ABC predictive for an address, with its fuzzy logic, but a postcode which is an accurate 7 digit direct input - why would you select that from a list? You wouldn't. For me it is forsight that if you select ABC predictive input for addresses, it changes back to QWERTY for postcodes and then back again for addresses. Very logical, and perfect

No, no - the problem (at least on *my* unit) is that it does *not* use QWERTY for postcode input, despite explicitly setting the option to do so.

--

Cheers,

Dave
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Navman? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Reply with quote

Like most people who have expressed an opinion, I will never buy a Navman product again. I miss the fact that my TomTom was relatively crash free and didn't research enough to find out that NavMan was windows based and not Linux like TomTom. Silly me!

I am hoping this SP2 fixes the crashing that occurred once I had installed SP1!

I'm stuck with this machine for a little while now, so I better make the most of it.

Al.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Crash Reply with quote

Al - are you using too many POIs, creating the system crashes? If I have no custom POIs my Navman s90i never crashes (daily user), with the PGPSW mobile cams only, very very rarely crashes (once a fortnight, and never since SP2), with all the PGPSW database (and, by the way, way over Navmans recommended limit of 12,000 by around 50%), frequent crashes and slow down of unit

I am not saying it would not be better if the Navman had unlimited POIs, it is just every unit has limitations somewhere

The TomTom has poor onscreen visuals (if you like that kind of thing, but clear representation, none the less), ut poor vocal directions compared with the Navman s90i (except roundabout, where the TomTom excells)
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Crash Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Al - are you using too many POIs, creating the system crashes? If I have no custom POIs my Navman s90i never crashes (daily user), with the PGPSW mobile cams only, very very rarely crashes (once a fortnight, and never since SP2), with all the PGPSW database (and, by the way, way over Navmans recommended limit of 12,000 by around 50%), frequent crashes and slow down of unit

I have a few: Waitrose, Adsa, HSBC, M&S, PCWorld, Shell, Toys R Us but that is nowhere near 12,000 I think. Just installed SP2 yesterday - the crashing was really getting me down - and haven't tested it yet.

xtraseller wrote:
The TomTom has poor onscreen visuals (if you like that kind of thing, but clear representation, none the less), ut poor vocal directions compared with the Navman s90i (except roundabout, where the TomTom excells)

I miss the A-B routing for when I just want a journey distance when I'm not in that place, the "route via" which I find difficult to setup on the NavMan even after all this time and the bloody silly keyboard which insists I pressed a letter which is nowhere near it on the keyboard. I love the display and *adore** the traffic updates and the navpix (but the TomTom favourite on current GPS location is a feature I sorely miss) and the day/night auto change. Sometimes I think I'm missing a lot of tricks.

I've been refusing to buy a memory card for it - what's the largest it will take? - through my disappointment. If it has memory problems then that might make a difference ... does anyone have any empirical evidence that it does? I have a few hundred MB free on the unit still.

I need to buy another set of maps though - a major local road I use all the time isn't listed. And one near J10 M1 doesn't exist! Which map date are they selling online (better than 04/2007 I hope)?

I've signed up for the newletters a couple of times - does anyone else not get them when they have signed up?

Kind regards xtraseller (again) Very Happy
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Navman Reply with quote

Memory card limit is 2gb (which I have used), but possibly 4gb or more would work, but not solve the POI issues with the unit - I am told it is to do with the RAM not storage memory that POIs have issues with, so however much onboard memory card you add, no difference

Mapping upgrade will be June and TeleAtlas 2007.10 edition - this will also include their new SmartSt 2008 2nd edition with 3D landmarks (around 1,000 in Europe) and Live POIs via bluetooth and your mobile via internet (or the Navman desktop and your home connection which can then be transfered, if you prefer). A quicker key response is also promised

Newsletters? Navman are know for their lack of communication skills, and it is the main reason people knock them, not really because of their products. I've subscribed for years (since before the launch of my iCN630 - the first colour 3D talking sat nav!) and only had a handful of email updates. Best to keep trying their website - or of course one of us will announce it here (PGPSW very rarely post Navman news - probably because they don't update them often enough!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: