Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Colorado 300 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Colorado 300 problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyrambler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Colorado 300 problems Reply with quote

My husband and his friend have just purchased Colorado 300's, after seeing a review at the Outdoor Show at the NEC. The demo and resulting chat was somewhat misleading and they went away with the impression that these little gadgets would be all things to everyone. First mistake they are useless without TOPO!! and they in their wisdom thought they would come provided with the maps, the advertising is misleading. After shelling out for TOPO they decided to see if they could use their Memory Maps with the devices. After endless emails and phonecalls my husband can finally run his Memory Maps on the 300. But his costly 1:25,000 O.S.Anquet Maps are useless, after endless emails phonecalls etc. we managed to download the software into the GPS, but then when we come to try and open the downloaded routes it gives up and says corrupt file. It looks as if we will have to shell out now for some more Memor maps as we are about to lead a party of twenty on Exmoor in a couple of weeks.
As one of the fair sex and a complete novice when it comes to GPS, even I can see that surely all these manufacturers that provide mapping software should be talking to one another and finding fixes to run their software on what could be a very useful addition to the Garmin family.
Both my husband and his friend have been in contact with the firm over these and other problems and it would not be an exaggeration to say that they were less than helpful.
My husband has three Garmin products and his friend two and I am suprised that they have such a cavalier attitude to loyal customers.
Admittedly they were offered their money back but they actually like these devices an would like to keep them if they could just iron out these gliches.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado 300 problems Reply with quote

happyrambler wrote:
First mistake they are useless without TOPO!! and they in their wisdom thought they would come provided with the maps, the advertising is misleading. After shelling out for TOPO they decided to see if they could use their Memory Maps with the devices. After endless emails and phonecalls my husband can finally run his Memory Maps on the 300.

Yes - it's very confusing out there in GPS land at present. You have the GARMIN vector based mapping units alongside the raster based devices (PDA/SatMap/Active 10...) which can use familiar OS mapping.

As a Colorado 300 owner myself (I also have Anquet 1:50k, MemoryMap 1:25k) I understand the frustrations, but I use the PC based OS mapping to create the routes, print custom paper maps etc and transfer the routes/waypoints to the C300 for the walk. When I get back I transfer the tracklogs to the PC for archive and interest.

I'm assuming this is what you mean by "using memoryMap with the Colorado".

You could take a look at [url=http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.htm] which allows you to get contours and some lakes etc displayed on the C300 - I use them and they work well. They are free to use.

As to suppliers getting together to sort out mapping issues - it would be a great idea but the OS have very stringent copyright/licensing conditions which prevent this. If you live in the USA (for example) you can get the (near) equivalent maps virtually for free.

Have a google around the internet - there a a few sites offereing free Garmin compatible maps - some for the UK.
middlk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Battery Life Reply with quote

How are you guys finding the battery life on the C300, I have version 2.4 software and battery life is terrible ?.
I also find the rock and roller wheel is now got loose and is far to easy to turn, if it,s on a clip on my belt it can move around and move the wheel several times which in turn re-draws the map using more battery power than it should.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery Life Reply with quote

I got my one today and was impressed in how quick it got it's first fix. In fact I did not even realise it had.

Also on V2.4 and worked for under 1.5hrs on two 1500mAh NiCd's (not new cells).

I had set the unit to NiCd's and have some 2650mAh ones on order and may also load the beta firmware tonight.

HummerUK
middlk wrote:
How are you guys finding the battery life on the C300, I have version 2.4 software and battery life is terrible ?.
I also find the rock and roller wheel is now got loose and is far to easy to turn, if it,s on a clip on my belt it can move around and move the wheel several times which in turn re-draws the map using more battery power than it should.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Local Waypoints Only Reply with quote

I have over 100 waypoints loaded on my 300 but the Waypoint Manager only lists the 50 less than 5 miles away as does Where To?

Where To? does have a "Search From" option but it is still hard work.

Anyone else's unit not listing all their waypoints?
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the same on mine.
491 Waypoints, only 50 in view.

Waypoints-Search Near-
...A recent Find
...A waypoint
...My Current Location

These three options give flexibility to find the 491 waypoints
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
This is the same on mine.
491 Waypoints, only 50 in view.

Waypoints-Search Near-
...A recent Find
...A waypoint
...My Current Location

These three options give flexibility to find the 491 waypoints

But why do you have to?

If I want to go for a bike ride or walk to one of my waypoints I have to find one in the general direction first so it lists it Smile

Also the Waypoint Manager.
It has an option to Delete All which it does but again only seems to let you edit, correct, delete the 50 nearest.

No mention of any waypoint list limiting in the user guide...
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all editting of waypoints on the PC using Mapsource.
I have three units so have a 'master' list on the PC and transfer the list to all three units!

Searching for Waypoints is easy alphabetically, ie all French start with a F-, all Swiss start with a Sw-

I'm sure that it will be enhanced in the next software upgrade.

Are you following the other thread?
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=386262#386262
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Register Your Device @ Garmin Reply with quote

I tried today to register my device.
The where is my serial number located does not include the 300 Sad

I tried the serial number from System Info about - Invalid
Tried the number in the battery compartment - Invalid

Also tried to register my UK Topo map SD Card.
For that it says serial number already registered!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Register Your Device @ Garmin Reply with quote

HummerUK wrote:
I tried today to register my device.
The where is my serial number located does not include the 300 Sad

I tried the serial number from System Info about - Invalid
Tried the number in the battery compartment - Invalid

Also tried to register my UK Topo map SD Card.
For that it says serial number already registered!

Managed to get my C300 registered without any probs when I bought it a couple of months ago. The serial number is the nine digit number in the battery compartment.

The number from System Info is the Unit ID I think - you use this to unlock maps.

Assuming you bought the Topo V2 new then a call to Garmin support should sort it out - they are generally very helpful.

Regarding battery life.... Strumble has been doing some testimng and I have done a totally unrepresentative set of tests.

I am using 2700mAH NiMH rechargables - from www.7dayshop.com nothing fancy. After a few initial battery charge/discharge cycles I am getting about 11:00 hrs before the unit turns itself off. I do this by putting the unit on a window sill, resetting the trip information (odometer etc) and leaving it running overnight. When it turns off I pop in new batteries and check the data.

I don't get this performance in the field, but to increase the life I have the map set as North up (this helps a lot as the processing to keep rotating the map is a major battery user). I have the backlight turned well down. During most daylight conditions I find I can read the display reasonably easily. Keeping the display on the basic odometer style display will also help reduce battery wear as even in North up the mapping will cause more drain. As I tend to walk with paper maps (derived from PC s/w) I don't 'stare' at the unit all the time. I get in excess of 8hrs in this mode - which is preety good - a spare set of batteries in the rucsac ensures there shouldn't be a problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: