Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Zumo 550 / Scala Rider - Am I Going Deaf Or What?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Zumo 550 / Scala Rider - Am I Going Deaf Or What?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedStormV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Zumo 550 / Scala Rider - Am I Going Deaf Or What? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, have seen it on my travels across the WWW but forum was recommended by http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SUSTUU.

After much deliberation I've finally taken the plunge and purchased Zumo 550 from the above (& Cardo Scala Rider BT Headset).

I wanted something that I could use on the bike to plan nice rides on, or if out with other lads (or lasses) on bikes on unfamiliar roads, I could always go back there for a nice twisy section etc.

I also wanted one that could be used in the car but didn't want 2 units. The 550 seemed to fit the bill as it came with everything I'd need.

I'm still getting used to it so haven't found all the bells and whistles, however, I am having problems with the volume, or lack of it.

When doing 40MPH or above on my bike, I can hear it's telling me something, but not what, and have to look at the screen to figure it out.
The bike's fairly noisey and there's a certain amount of wind noise from my AGV Ti-Tech helmet.

However, in the car (Citroen C5) with the wife this afternoon, same problem and not just me, no radio on, window open about 1" and we could hardly make out what the unit was saying.

The only voice of the 3 standard voices which could be heard at all was the English 'Daniel'? the female voice had no chance!

The volume is set to 100% for both navigation and MP3 not that the MP3 is used on bike or in car.

Has anyone else suffered in this way?
Anyone found a solution?
Can other, perhaps louder or clearer (although they seem clear when you can here them) voices be downloaded to the unit?
Any aftermarket software to boost the volume?

I really like the unit but if I can't get more noise out of it then it's going to have to go.

Oh and what about updating maps?
We have version 10 unit. Went down A1 today where they're replacing roundabouts with slips and overpasses, Zumo still thinks they're roundabouts and had us doing cross country (on display) numerous times.

Apologies for the long post - it's a habit I have

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MikeOnABike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - volume is useless:

a) above 40mph on a bike, earplugs loosley in, windnoise/can noise coming in through lid

b) using the mount speaker in car at 70mph (AC was on at the time)

I'm going to test with different lids (I've an arai shaped head for my sins) - result may have to be a purchase of the most silent lid and BT earpiece in the car. I like using the mount speaker though. Confused
13o13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Zumo 550 / Scala Rider - Am I Going Deaf Or What? Reply with quote

However, in the car (Citroen C5) with the wife this afternoon, same problem and not just me, no radio on, window open about 1" and we could hardly make out what the unit was saying.

The only voice of the 3 standard voices which could be heard at all was the English 'Daniel'? the female voice had no chance!

The volume is set to 100% for both navigation and MP3 not that the MP3 is used on bike or in car.

Has anyone else suffered in this way?
Anyone found a solution?
Can other, perhaps louder or clearer (although they seem clear when you can here them) voices be downloaded to the unit?

Cheers 13013
Any aftermarket software to boost the volume?

I really like the unit but if I can't get more noise out of it then it's going to have to go.

Oh and what about updating maps?
We have version 10 unit. Went down A1 today where they're replacing roundabouts with slips and overpasses, Zumo still thinks they're roundabouts and had us doing cross country (on display) numerous times.

Apologies for the long post - it's a habit I have

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

First impressions were the same for me, til I read the instruction manual.
when the unit is powered up in the Car holder you have to push the volume button (Bottom Left) followed by the master volume controls -,+ on the left hand side upper. this should be loud enough to be heard in the car as well as if you are using the Bluetooth headset connection.
polkay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Zumo Forums at http://www.zumoforums.com/ there is a thread there on how to increase the volume...if you are not computer savvy there is a link to download the English British Emily voice that has been changed. I use it on my Zumo on my bike. I was recently in Europe riding Autobahns at 80-90 mph and had no problem hearing instructions or the MP3 player thru Autocom.

Danny
fraggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone said, when its in the car mount press the lower left button and then the '+' button to increae the volume.

Mine is a noisy sod, drowns out the radio, plenty of volume.
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the volumes you mention are for fine tunning.
if you press the bottom left button you change the master volume

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: