Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SDhc Cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SDhc Cards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: SDhc Cards Reply with quote

I was following a thread which for some reason i cannot find now.
It was about "what cards are best to use".
Mike was saying he uses class 6 play ones.
I can understand that but what i need a bit of help with is the shape of it.
I want to make sure i get the correct one.
All pictures of the cards on fleabay are squarish whilst the one in the go has two legs on the end, does this make a difference?
I think i should have paid more attention to the cards in the past but with the 910 everything just went on the drive.
Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing The thing in the slot of your Go is just a plastic blanking plug. Ignore the shape of it....
Don't worry, ALL actual SD cards are the same shape.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right, so what you are saying is the maps and info are all on the internal memory and the thing in the slot is a dummy, no not me Andy.
I wondered why i couldn't get no info when i tried to put on the icons that Gerry and Darren made for SD card.
Thanks for the help, i really do need to get upto speed with these cards again. Got spoilt with the 910 that was easy to find my way around.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card I currently use is a Peak Class 6 SDHC card, you will need an SDHC capable card reader for the PC as the TomTom isn't capable of writing to SDHC cards above 4GB in capacity.
If you get an 8GB or larger card simply install it to the card reader and format the card using Windows, create a folder called ''mp3'' (without the '') in the root of the card, put all your music files in this.
You can use the card for maps and voices etc. Just remember to put files on the card requires the card to be fitted in a card reader, once the data is on the card the TomTom will use the data and work with it fine - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Ah right, so what you are saying is the maps and info are all on the internal memory and the thing in the slot is a dummy, no not me Andy.

HaHa! Well put!

yes, you're dead right. As supplied, everything on the 520/720/920 is on the internal memory.
What's good about these models is that (unlike any other TTs) you can use the internal memory AND an additional SD card at the same time, so you can have maps, mp3 music, etc scattered across both places (so long as they are in the correctly named folders).

The only thing you still have to do is have all the POIs stored in the map folder for the map you want them to work with.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mike i did mean Peak, i had a look at them from your post, which i can't locate now.
I was thinking of a 4gb card. It will only be for maps.
Will i need a reader to install onto a card that size?
Many Thanks for your help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you won't. The Go x20 models can read and write successfully to SDHC cards upto and including 4GB.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
LesP2008 wrote:

HaHa! Well put!

yes, you're dead right. As supplied, everything on the 520/720/920 is on the internal memory.
What's good about these models is that (unlike any other TTs) you can use the internal memory AND an additional SD card at the same time, so you can have maps, mp3 music, etc scattered across both places (so long as they are in the correctly named folders).

The only thing you still have to do is have all the POIs stored in the map folder for the map you want them to work with.

Andy, just to qualify your statement just a bit ......

A knowledgeable user whom you know (the name 'infama' ring a bell? Cool ) with a 16 gig card and a million maps (slight exaggeration) split between his card and his 920 unit states that voice(s) related to a specific map must reside in the same memory space to work properly.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn, are you trying to wind me up. Laughing

Just when i started to get my head around it you come up with that.

Seriously though, thanks guys for putting me right.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You read my mind.... Shocked

I originally wrote "so you can have maps, mp3 music, voices etc scattered across both places (so long as they are in the correctly named folders)."

But then I had a confidence crisis and took "voices" out again!
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to "jump in" on this thread - by my query is pretty similar.

I've just bought a Sandisk 4GB SDHC card for my TomTom Go 520 - but the TomTom nor my computer seem to be able to recognise it - am I doing something wrong as TomTom say on their website that SDHC cards are compatible with this model?
Smartdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayzee33, have you tried formatting the card with correct software (not windows) http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

TT Go 6000
Previous Go 920T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to re-format it at all. It should work straight out of the box (or the 'impossible-to-get-into-plastic-bubble-thing' anyway!).

Assuming you haven't done anything to it, you should be able to just plug it in the TT and off you go.
It could just be faulty....
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
out of the box (or the 'impossible-to-get-into-plastic-bubble-thing' anyway!).

Darn - and I thought if I moved to Merry Ol' England I could avoid severed fingers and bubble-SHIELDS-UP!!! (G)
saikee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bottomed this one out yet but what I have found out are

(1) Got a 4Gb and 8Gb SDHC cards my self. I could write maps, MP3, photos etc using TomTom Hom2 or Windows explorer on both cards.

(2) The 4GB works normally. I checked it by I removing the American/Canada maps from the 920T and transferred it onto the SDHC disk. The TomTom Home 2 shows up two disks inside 920T; one 4Gb internal and one 4Gb on SDHC. When I use the 920 as a stand alone unit it allowed me to pick the "reloctaed" map and showed up the MP3 and photos stored in the SDHC card.

(3) The 8GBHC was a bit different. It worked on its own when connected with a card reader in Windows and so I could transfer the map. Mp3 and photos same as the 4Gb SDHC. However the information was not recognised by the 920 using the factory-formatted Fat32 filing system. I therefore used the link suggested here to download Panasonic formatter which formatted it in the same Fat32 filing system but to Panasonic specification. However with the special format I could get the 920 recognizing the 8Gb data operating as a stand alone unit. Everything seems to work except if the unit is connected to a PC then TomTom Home 2 could not detect the disk inside 920.

The 8Gb SDHC information, in Fat32 filing system, is always readable in a MS Windows. TomTom 920 is also able to use it when plugged in. The only problem is TomTom Home 2 does not recognize it as a working disk when it is inside 920. Windows cannot mount it and report the disk unformatted. So the American map I could choose if TomTom 920 working as a stand an alone unit disappears if I plugged the 920 into the PC and run TomTom Home 2.

If I remove the 920 from the PC the 8Gb SDHC is working again. If I withdraw the 8GbSDHC from 920 and plug it into a normal card reader attached to the PC all the files show up in the MS Windows.

From the above my conclusion is we can use 8Gb, or capacity larger than 4Gb, to store data in TomTom 920. The only problem is that the card is not recognized by TomTom Home 2. Therefore it may be just a bug in the TomTom Home 2 software that runs on a PC. This is because the same card works perfectly outside 920, inside 920 and only not recognized by a PC program (TomTom Home 2).

We could get over the problem temporarily by attach the 8Gb SDHC to a normal card reader to do the file transfers. I would love to try my hand on a 16Gb SDHC but I haven't got one.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: