Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - re traffic info - what phone 2 bt connects at once?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

re traffic info - what phone 2 bt connects at once?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: re traffic info - what phone 2 bt connects at once? Reply with quote

Re the traffic info in ttn3 - I don't beleive that my phone (a moto v500) will allow the use of 2 bt connections at the same time - at least with my handsfree connected I don't think I've ever managed to get my ipaq to talk to it.

Is this correct? (and if so would I realistically have to have a seperate phone with gprs and bt? - I have an old orange t68i that I could use with a payg sim)

Any thoughts - and what phone do allow 2 connected devices at the same time?

Cheers

Ian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, I have recently replaced my Nokia 6310 with a E200 Smartphone and have so lost my carkit (none yet available for the E200).

As a result I'm using a BT Headset and so I may have issues getting the iPAQ to talk to the E200 at the same time as the headset. I shall give it all a test over the weekend and see if it works or not.

When you think that you could have iPAQ BT to GPS, iPAQ BT to Phone, Phone BT to headet and Phone broadcasting on the cell network and all in a tin box then it's a wonder we all don't look like Duncan Goodhew!
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was half way to looking like D G before I got my TTN2, suppose I will have to kiss the rest good bye.

I am a bit new to all this so forgive what may be obvious but if I upgrade to TTN3 and take the option for traffic info. does this mean that I will be getting charged for a phone call all of the time I am on a journey?

This could run into many hours of call time on a long journey and just as expensive for lots of small jouneys.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Mobile Internet Reply with quote

I believe the traffic info is only available over GPRS where you pay for the amount of data downloaded. (02~£2 per MB).

However there are two types of GPRS, true mobile internet and WAP GPRS (there is also WAP GSM which is pay per minute). I cannot get my PDA to access the internet whilst using WAP GPRS, the PDA dials the connection over BT and the mobile connects to the WAP GPRS, but there is no internet access to the PDA, but the mobile can browse the web. Using the same phone, but with a mobile internet GPRS service, my PDA can browse the web.

Not all airtime providers offer true mobile internet GPRS.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With GPRS you pay for the data you use rather than the length of the connection. Traffic Data would be very small amounts nortmally downloaded either before you begin your journey or at set periods i.e. every 30mins etc.

Orange charge £4 for 3MB which would last you weeks if you used it for Traffic Info alone.
AlanW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of digging round the internet has turned up three different levels of GPRS implementation:

A devices are capable of simultaneous voice and data transmission
B devices support one type at a time, and switch automatically between data and voice
C devices support one type at a time, and require user intervention to switch between data and voice

That means we need Class A devices that can also maintain multiple BT connections, to use Traffic & the phone at the same time. I guess the thing to do is browse WAP (or internet) via a PDA browser & attempt to make a call at the same time. Haven't tried it though.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the phones using voice and gprs - its more complicated than that - if you have a bt headset you need a phone that supports 2 bt connections - my sony ericcson and moto handsets will only connect to one bt product at a time - thats the problem.

Talking and using gprs isn't a problem the gprs simply stalls whilst talking ang then kicks off again - no problem so wired handfree systems should be ok.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's several issues here.

Firstly, the GPRS (letter) class one. Only a Class A device can support simultaneous GPRS and voice calls. I have never yet come across a Class A phone - all the GPRS phones I've ever had are Class B.

Obviously I don't yet know how TomTom Traffic works. I've no more access to information on Navigator 3 than anyone else here - I'm waiting for the upgrade programme to open so that I can order my copy, though I'm quite happy to let the first few versions pass me by whilst I'm waiting. However TomTom selected testers for version 3, they didn't look at those participating in this forum and invite those who are particularly active here.

So long as TomTom Traffic copes OK with the Internet becoming unavailable whilst you're in a call, you'll be OK - so long as you remember that there's no traffic updates when you're on the phone (for me this isn't a problem - I make almost no use of my phone in the car).

Secondly, the Bluetooth one. Many phones do not support two simultaneous Bluetooth connections, even though one would be audio and one data - certainly my Nokia 6310i doesn't. This means that if you use Bluetooth for in-car hands free, you may not be able to use the same phone for GPRS.

I'm fortunate here - my phone car kit is wired, so there's no problem using Bluetooth for GPRS when I'm in the car.

I don't understand iancjc's comment - I think there's a typo, in that the word "headset" should read "handset". It doesn't matter whether or not your Bluetooth audio gear supports multiple connections.

Mr T mentions a third issue - you do need GPRS Internet access - GPRS WAP is no good. All providers, to my knowledge, do offer GPRS Internet access - though some restrict it to contract users only.

The inability to have both GPRS WAP and GPRS Internet access going simultaneously doesn't surprise me - few if any phones can be active simultaneously on two GPRS CIDs.

Orange offer pay as you go Internet GPRS unless things have changed recently - maybe the answer for those who have are unable to use their main phone for TomTom Traffic (because they make too many calls, don't have simultaneous Bluetooth data and voice support, or don't have GPRS Internet access) is to pick up a 6310i or similar and stick an Orange pre pay SIM in it, then put it somewhere in the car on a car charger lead (though the battery life of a 6310i is very good).

Of course, you can test your setups now - if you can set the phone up how you usually have it in the car and make a GPRS connection to the Internet from your Pocket PC, you should be ready to go when TomTom Traffic is available.

It is, of course, possible to use CSD (dial up Internet access) for TomTom Traffic - but the cost is almost certainly prohibitive. Low bandwidth connections that are kept open for long periods is where GPRS excels.

David
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

No I meant headset - but I was saying that if you have a bt headset (and want to use tt traffic) you would need a phone that connects to 2 bt devices at once.

I have an hour minimum commute each morning and night and spend approx half of each journey on the phone catching up with clients - I think that a second payg phone in the boot plugged into the power socket will do the job - I have an old t68i I can use for this - can't see it costing more than a few quid a month extra.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: