Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where are my maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are my maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Where are my maps? Reply with quote

Hi
Having had a major problem with a POI update on my i3 I have reformatted the card and copied back the files I had backed up (GMAPSUPP.IMG - 170,488kb, gmapsupp.sum - 1kb, GMAPSUPP.UNL - 1kb, Voice folder 14.8Mb and an empty POI folder). Unfortunately, when I start my i3 I get a warning page telling me that "map data must be installed" and to follow the setup guide. I don't have a setup guide. I can get past this screen using the "back" button and can select "view map" or "where to" and (once it locks on) I can see a limited map but without any significant detail. Settings / Map Source Info shows nothing. I obviously need to get the maps going but I can't work out how to. Can anyone help?
TIA.
Ramases.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an i3 with a separate card or with built in memory?

The card for mine has the following directories files:

GARMIN directory, containing.
gmapsupp.img 170,488KB (mine's on V8 mapping)
gmapsupp.unl 1KB
VOICE directory, containing 12 x .vpm files for various languages
POI directory, containing poi.gpi file

I presume yours are all in a directory named GARMIN, you didn't mention that.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, as bumpkin's post. All files present in a folder called Garmin.
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Maps not working but files seem ok .... Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
Is this an i3 with a separate card or with built in memory?

The card for mine has the following directories files:

GARMIN directory, containing.
gmapsupp.img 170,488KB (mine's on V8 mapping)
gmapsupp.unl 1KB
VOICE directory, containing 12 x .vpm files for various languages
POI directory, containing poi.gpi file

I presume yours are all in a directory named GARMIN, you didn't mention that.

Hiyer

OK, my i3 has a separate card - and IIRC it's v8 maps. I have v3.20 software and audio v2.0. Seems the files on it are the same as everyone elses but they just don't seem to be working. I'm guessing, but the fact that "Map Source" is blank tells me something, but I'm not sure what!

I'm seeing a mate later today who has an i3 and have arranged to copy his card and try that. Will it work or just cause more problems? If this fails I'll try emailing Garmin (will they be willing to help as it's out or warranty?).

Thanks for the help so far - any further advice welcomed ...

Cheers.

Ramases.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Maps not working but files seem ok .... Reply with quote

Ramases wrote:
OK, my i3 has a separate card - and IIRC it's v8 maps. I have v3.20 software and audio v2.0. Seems the files on it are the same as everyone elses but they just don't seem to be working. I'm guessing, but the fact that "Map Source" is blank tells me something, but I'm not sure what!

I'm seeing a mate later today who has an i3 and have arranged to copy his card and try that. Will it work or just cause more problems? If this fails I'll try emailing Garmin (will they be willing to help as it's out or warranty?).

Assuming you've still got the cards contents backed-up, I'd check that the card is OK, and perhaps try another?

You could run a chkdsk on it, with it in a card reader, just to check the filesystem is OK on it.

Just for completeness, when you reformatted it, did you do a quick format, and what filesystem type did you use?
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you may have to unlock the maps.
Do you have the maps and unlock code on the PC?

How can this work:-
Quote:
I'm seeing a mate later today who has an i3 and have arranged to copy his card and try that

Maps are unlocked to a specific unit!
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Maps not working but files seem ok .... Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Ramases wrote:

Assuming you've still got the cards contents backed-up, I'd check that the card is OK, and perhaps try another?

You could run a chkdsk on it, with it in a card reader, just to check the filesystem is OK on it.

Just for completeness, when you reformatted it, did you do a quick format, and what filesystem type did you use?

Hi again

I've tried a new card - no help. Also chkdsk reports no errors on either card. I did a full reformat and tried FAT and FAT32 - no help. I don't have maps disc or any other software - it came pre-loaded. Don't know what to try next.
TIA.
Colin.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Maps not working but files seem ok .... Reply with quote

Ramases wrote:
Hi again

I've tried a new card - no help. Also chkdsk reports no errors on either card. I did a full reformat and tried FAT and FAT32 - no help. I don't have maps disc or any other software - it came pre-loaded. Don't know what to try next.
TIA.
Colin.

These are definitely the files from your card, aren't they?

If you've got the unl file, then that should have your unlock code in.

I suppose it's possible that some file corruption has occurred, but if the unl file came from elsewhere, I think it would be invalid, and you'd have the symptoms you are experiencing.

Does anybody know whether there's anything unit specific in the map file (img)? If not, and you can be sure of the correct version of maps you're licensed for, somebody may be able to assist by providing this file, and if the img file isn't locked to your unit by any means other than the unlock code in the unl file, using your valid unlock code should make them work?

By that I mean that you may have some data corruption, as somebody may be able to assist by somehow providing you with the data file (img) then your valid unlock code should be a valid and legal means of using the data.
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not realise that an original Pre-loaded SD card with Garmin maps could be 'wiped clean' and then re-loaded with the same maps or copied and used in other units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As he does not have the DVD to reload, has he not 'lost' the maps?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
I did not realise that an original Pre-loaded SD card with Garmin maps could be 'wiped clean' and then re-loaded with the same maps or copied and used in other units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As he does not have the DVD to reload, has he not 'lost' the maps?

Isn't it the unlock code, though, not the SD card itself, that ties it to a particular unit?

Or do the pre-loaded SD cards not use them on i3s?

I'll have a look, there's 2 such i3s in the family (I still have one, just not with me).
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pre-loaded SD card is not locked to a unit but if you were able to 'copy' them, there would be not point in buying them from Garmin. Very Happy
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
A pre-loaded SD card is not locked to a unit but if you were able to 'copy' them, there would be not point in buying them from Garmin. Very Happy

Fair point well made ;-)

I wasn't considering the pre-loaded business, just the unlock code.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure there is a GARMIN folder on the sd card with those files inside that. Reading what you have put, you have not confirmed that you have made the GARMIN folder and it looks like you have just put the files on the card as is, which will cause the unit to complain.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:

I suspect that a preloaded card ties the unlock code to the card's serial number. When you reformat a floppy or hard disc the disc gets a new serial number and I suspect that the same happens with an SD card. That may be how the maps are tied to a particular card. The DOS command "dir" will show the hexadecimal serial number of the card. Start- Run - cmd, Enter, then type dir in the DOS window.

By reformatting you have scuppered the relationship between the card's ID and the unlock code. Tell Garmin your problem and they may give you a new code, but they may want to know your card's new ID to do so.

Moral: When you back up a card make sure that you know its Volume Serial Number.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: