Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Broken screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Broken screen Reply with quote

My son borrowed my TomTom and the mount fell off the windscreen and the screen now has a spider's web effect crack starting on the top right hand corner and working in and down. The outer glass doesn't seem to be actually broken but it's affecting the touchscreen in some way. For example if you touch Navigate to it's fine but if you the try to touch Address or the arrow below to take you to the next page it behaves like I have touched Back in the bottom right hand corner.

Can this be repaired and at what cost? Am I as well buying a new unit?

I recently bought new maps for the UK but more importantly for USA & Canada. If I have to buy a new unit will I be able to still use my USA map?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jem16
B----y Nora. I bet your son is having to keep a low profile. What action to take regarding the screen? Well, what is the actual device? How old is it? Was it in good nick before the accident?

I suppose if you search on the net you may find a place that will replace your screen. But I bet the price of the replacement will be near the price of a new Tomtom. Good luck.

PS. I know that it’s a bit late now, but a screen protector is a good investment.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get in touch with SatNavShop.

They will be able to give advice on your problem.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi jem16
B----y Nora. I bet your son is having to keep a low profile. What action to take regarding the screen? Well, what is the actual device? How old is it? Was it in good nick before the accident?

It's a TomTom One v1 bought December 2005. It was perfect before the accident.
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
I would get in touch with SatNavShop.

They will be able to give advice on your problem.

Emailed them explaining about cracked screen.

Quote was £65 - worth fixing or not?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think you'll get another Device as good as the ONE for £65.

If you manage to buy a second hand Device for that money you won't know it's history.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jem16
So its £65 0n the old one or about £145 on a new one. I’m afraid its decision time. It’s a blow that can befall any of us I suppose.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also be aware that your USA map will not work with a regional One Third Edition as there is insufficient memory in the unit, this will make a new item purchase slightly dearer to maintain capability to run the USA map.
Although the 720 with full Euro map has been seen at bargain prices as low as £169 recently, and one of these would run your map once you get the map activation sorted out by TomTom - Mike
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You should also be aware that your USA map will not work with a regional One Third Edition as there is insufficient memory in the unit, this will make a new item purchase slightly dearer to maintain capability to run the USA map.

I don't think I would consider the One v3 as it has no SD slot and as you say would not run the USA map. I have looked at the One XL Europe on Amazon for £143.20 or a 520 for £169.99. Would either of these be suitable?

Quote:
Although the 720 with full Euro map has been seen at bargain prices as low as £169 recently, and one of these would run your map once you get the map activation sorted out by TomTom - Mike

Haven't seen the 720 for £169 anywhere - where was it?

What does the 520 or 720 offer over the One XL?

My map was downloaded through TomTom Home. How do I get the map activation sorted if I decide to get a new unit?

Still not entirely sure what to do. Is satnavshop recommended as the best place to get it fixed? What is their service and turnaround like?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One Third Edition Europe version has sufficient memory to hold the USA map but I wouldn't recommend it to be honest, the One XL will be fine and is a decent device, although for very little extra cost the x20 devices which are being heavily discounted are a good buy (if you want the extra features).

One XL can only use Bluetooth via a phone for data connection, it will also accept the RDS-TMC traffic receiver option, the x20 can be used as full hands free for the phone, mp3 player, FM transmitter etc - they are a far more comprehensive device.
The 520 has less onboard storage memory than the 720, this is to house the larger full European road map that comes with the 720, otherwise they are the same they both have SD card slots.

Both Comet and Halfords had the 720 on the shelf in store for £169 over the Easter weekend, although both stores have a current price of £229 for the 720 and £199 for the 520. Perhaps the next Bank Holiday will see similar discounts in the stores, who knows.

In terms or recommendations you won't find better than satnavshop for repairs - Mike
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The One Third Edition Europe version has sufficient memory to hold the USA map but I wouldn't recommend it to be honest, the One XL will be fine and is a decent device, although for very little extra cost the x20 devices which are being heavily discounted are a good buy (if you want the extra features).

One XL can only use Bluetooth via a phone for data connection, it will also accept the RDS-TMC traffic receiver option, the x20 can be used as full hands free for the phone, mp3 player, FM transmitter etc - they are a far more comprehensive device.
The 520 has less onboard storage memory than the 720, this is to house the larger full European road map that comes with the 720, otherwise they are the same they both have SD card slots.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - very helpful. It will also help my son who is looking to buy his own too.

I don't think I need the extra features as my car has Bluetooth handsfree and an ipod connector already.

Quote:
In terms or recommendations you won't find better than satnavshop for repairs - Mike

That's good to know. I have asked a few more questions in an email to satnavshop so we'll see what the reply brings.

One last question;

How do I get the maps sorted out with TomTom? They were downloaded through TomTom Home.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get the new unit give TT Support a ring on 0845 161 0009 and ask them to transfer the map to your new device as the old one broke, it might be worth having a digital photo of the old broken unit and a scanned copy of the new device receipt to e-mail to them as proof - Mike
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Would you get it repaired or go for a new one?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it does all you want and you know the history of the use/ abuse the device has seen I would be inclined to keep the unit and pay for the repair as it is the cheaper option and won't involve dealing with TT Support to get your other map activated - Mike
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike.

The unit has been used fairly infrequently - more occasional use. I think a repair might be the most sensible option.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: