Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Speed Cameras Reply with quote

The Navman speed camera database has been updated today
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Speed Cameras Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The Navman speed camera database has been updated today

Fascinating as this news doubtless is, please don't post it here. We offer our own service and don't wish to serve as an advertising hoarding for Navman's!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Support your userbase Reply with quote

Sorry - i believed the main reason why PocketGPSWorld is so popular with users, including myself, is that the forums are alive with independent information, by users for users, supported by paid for advertising which surround us

The Speed Camera Database was an off-shot of that communitity

So a quick note to other Navman users who subscribe (and indeed may as I do, subscribe to BOTH yours and theres) would be welcome

Obviously I this is not the case. It has turned into a forum to generate interest in the database. A commercial entity. Pitty that.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We welcome news and view on devices and other matters. What we don't welcome is our forum being used as free advertising for a competitors service. If Navman wish to announce their database has been released I'm sure they are more than capable of doing so.

I can imagine Navman's response were we to ask them to announce the release of our latest database!

Commercial considerations are a fact of life, we have wages and running costs to pay and in all other aspects we are impartial, but where the safety camera database is concerned we clearly have a business to run.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: End Reply with quote

But we ALL don't seem to mind knocking other databases on the forum

Annoucement made. Your point made.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: End Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
But we ALL don't seem to mind knocking other databases on the forum

Annoucement made. Your point made.

Indeed, and that is possible because we have a forum, where is Navman's? We don't censor comments or opinion on our database, nor have we censored any posts discussing competitor products or comparison of theirs and ours, I simply draw the line at announcements such as this.

Note: I edited my post above whilst you were responding. I am not attacking you, just asking that posts advertising a competitor service such as this are not welcomed. I don't think this is an unfair stance to take.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Come on Reply with quote

I understand that, but surely you know Navman need all the help they can get! There communication skills are non existant. The ability to respond to customers via a forum limited. They are never going to compete against your database

Anyway, won't mention it here again
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Forum? Reply with quote

Perhaps this place should not be called a Forum, I was led to believe that a Forum is.

A public meeting or assembly for open discussion
A public facility to meet for open discussion

I did get an email from Navman saying about the update was ready, but I must admit I do sometimes log onto here before I check my email, to see if any upgrades or firmware upgrades have been announced

Soon as I got the email, I logged straight onto this site to check if anyone had put in any input on the upgrade
(you know what upgrades can be like sometimes)

I can see where your both coming from, but I really don't think that mentioning about a Navman upgrade will steal any revenue from the site.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have issues with installation then feel free to discuss, it's a simple request not to advertise.
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, I would not even thought about it as advertising if I had not seen the topic, perhaps I am very nieve or just quite thick :-)

I have always used your camera data base and would still use it, but Navman have limited the POI's on my S90 I am 100% sure they have done this so users can't use your data base, soooooooo damn annoying.

And I bet Navman will not address this in any firmware upgrade.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of the POI limit is disappointing. Whether this was intentional (I doubt it) or not, I cannot believe they don't see this as an issue that requires rectification.

No other device in this bracket suffers such a limitation yet Navman either don't recognise it as the issue it is or simply no longer care. It's not hard to imagine a lack of concern given the disruption and period of uncertainty that accompanies a major take-over.
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite agree with you Darren, I have alsways used Navman and found them very good ish, in the past, I have had lots of problems with my S90 since I bought it, even after the last firmware upgrade, mine still restarts many times on a day trip, also my TMC has stopped working (another post on here) but I do like my S90 dispite all this and live in hope they finally get things sorted
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At risk of wandering OT, we have always enjoyed a great relationship with Navman UK although this has waned since the Mio buyout. Mio seem far less interested in maintaining relationships with community sites sadly.

Navman were once a fantastic company, receptive, and forward thinking. I personally think their last great units were the first iCN's. I suspect turmoil behind the scenes at this time lead to a lack of investment and they rested on their laurels for far too long.

It's a real shame as what we need least is to lose a major player but I've said it before, SmartST has long since passed it's sell by date and Mio's decision to favour it is short sighted. I only hope they invest heavily to re-design it from the ground up. Mio had decent hardware but I can understand that having to buy in iGO would never work long term BUT they ain't gonna grab a larger market share using SmartST in its current format and customers will be long gone if they don't sort that sharpish!
snowwolf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer your right, Navman were always really helpfull when you called them, I have had and still have the Pin 100 and made it into the Pin 300, what a great bit of kit this is, I still have it in the car just in case, I liked the way you could add all the other software onto it, like Fugawi and the like, which is great when off roading in the 4x4 and on the mountain bike, you can't add any of this sort of software to the S90 :-(

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: