Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Drivesmart new features on the horizon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Drivesmart new features on the horizon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WLMOATE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Drivesmart new features on the horizon Reply with quote

Hello DS users its a long while since I have made a post but I have some interesting news hot of the press. I have been testing a new operating system that gives us some new features and a new database loader.

The features are a blackbox flight recorder , this logs your postion and speed every 1 seconds once you are near a camera which can then be downloaded and used in a court in case if you need to contest a ticket. See the file it creates below

The next feature is a new loader that automaticlly detects the com port been used. So no more connection issues ( at last) There is then a press of a single button which automaticlly downloads the latest database and operating and loads them into the DS without the need to power on and off

The software is still in Beta so will change looks I have been informed. It has a few small issues but the main building blocks are a great addition to the DS.

An for all you none believers I have no connection with DS .

There are also some really good features coming but I cant give away too much detail, it is a very clever web service that your DS interacts with. For a taster a screen shot can be seen below

One final thing there are some new voices recorded by people from the BBC and MTV, I have heard them and they are good. ( No I cant send you them)

Before you ask I have no given release date and no it won't be in 2 weeks :-) As soon as it is practical to release a date will be announced

Feel free to ask some questions

MY-SOS, Benefon TWIG, DriveSmart, Wayfinder
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, is there a version of the software that will still allow DS users to upload the PGPSW database?

MaFt
WLMOATE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to upload an extra database is still in the loader.

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, something i just thought of - how would the blackbox thingy stand in court? i can see from your screen shot that you changed speed by a max of 2mph between each 1 second interval. could it not be argued then that during that 1 second interval you could change speed by 2mph thus putting you over the speed limit threshold for the split second that a gatso snapped you?

also, are mobile camera's obliged to log the time to the nearest second of any speeders? or even there exact gps position? if not then it may not be very helpful as evidence against a mobile conviction unless you were a very careful driver and stayed within the limit for a 1mile stretch around the mobile cameras rough area or within a few minutes either side of the time of conviction?

also, if it's a new camera not in the database then you're stuffed as it wouldn't log it for you!!

will it work with custom databases (PGPSW) or just the official drivesmart one?

devils advocate i know, but that's what i'm here for :D good idea though!

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how easy / difficult would it be to edit / fake the "evidence" from the Black Box Flight Recorder?

If the data is stored in a flat file it's easy to edit or fake.

If it's in a proprietary format how can you prove to a court what was recorded and stored is what is shown on the screen and hasn't been altered during "translation"?

Unless this device meets some sort of approval process and is calibrated regulary i can't see it lasting long in any court case.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Drivesmart new features on the horizon Reply with quote

WLMOATE wrote:
The features are a blackbox flight recorder , this logs your postion and speed every 1 seconds once you are near a camera which can then be downloaded and used in a court in case if you need to contest a ticket.

Hi WLMOATE, good to see you are still active on the DS front.

Hope I'm not throwing any spanners into the works, i will try and keep positive, but you have asked for questions so two sides are required.

Firstly this is only any good if the database is accurate so a PGPSW option would be a must have, as the DS version wasn't any where near accurate when members of the forum added data, now it has no members input to update at all.

What is the % figures on being nicked with a wrong camera reading that is so far off scale to make this extra info worthwhile. I know 'way out' mph figures do happen, but i would have thought fairly rare, sometimes a few mph over doesn't make much difference, you are nicked anyway!
It wouldn't be worth the extra legal costs to argue over a couple of mph.

Yesterday Kent police dropped over a hundred fines due to an alleged misuse of a mobile speed camera. I know that the police aren't always 'upfront' with confessions but they did try here.

If we were honest most of us using camera detectors would fit into one of the following -
a) speeding is normal and knowing where the camera is saves getting caught, or
b) we drive on or very near the max speed limit and tolerances allowed don't justify the constant viewing of the speedo limit to keep within the allowances and be safe at the same time, but care is taken not to push your luck if possible,

Option a) isn't for this post and is another topic elsewhere.
I hope I fall within b) but in the past (before the gadgets) i was often nicked for a few measly mph over the limit but never argued as i knew i was in the wrong anyway, so treated it as a fair cop.

If a motorist genuinely doesn't speed or never gets near to constantly driving 'on the line', then he wouldn't have any need for a DS unit or any other speed detector, so this extra info on 'what speed was i doing at the time' isn't relevant, so who would want to use this info?

This software would only be worth using to argue the more serious mistakes as being accused of 100 when only doing 40mph, How often does that happen?.

I can't see where the software is going to be much use, as the exact moment it is waiting for, to come into good use and prove a point, is so rare.

It does throw up other issues, in a court all the software evidence would have to be 'untampered' with, so given in all it's entirety, so what about if it is seen that on a previous camera you were speeding as the warning was set and hard braking got you safely through the camera?

I think i would rather stay as I am now, i have a feeling that to cover that 'odd' occassion when the camera truly lies isn't worth having all this extra info in the car, it could come back to end up shooting yourself in the foot.
One day a blackbox will be compulsory in the car, i will take my chances until that day.

All the other points sound good, i like the idea of a new loader the existing one is too complicated.

WLMOATE wrote:
An for all you none believers I have no connection with DS .
Not relevant, it's good to have the heads up.
Good Luck on your beta testing.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
WLMOATE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new loader still allows 3rd party databases

I can see the point regarding using the data in court, as it is just a plain text file at the minute. I can make the suggestion that it should be some other format and tied to the unit and the unit to the person.

The web/ds interaction parts are not ready for screen shots yet, but they will be popular.

Though the new loader is good, along with the voices and the ability to see when you last updated the DS on the screen.

I will keep you posted as to progress

DSDeveloper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Latest Update Reply with quote

Quote:
Firstly this is only any good if the database is accurate so a PGPSW option would be a must have, as the DS version wasn't any where near accurate when members of the forum added data, now it has no members input to update at all.

There is still input from DS users that we receive, also the camera partnerships and also by third party. To work out accuracy between the two databases, maybe test them side by side and do some `objective` testing.

There was a test case recently, which we can supply the information for where someone produced in court data from a blackbox unit he had designed himself when he was snapped by a imporperly set up GATSO in London. The algorithms produced and his description impressed the judge, case dismissed.

Yes its just text in the beta, but we will almost certainly add MD5Sum (checksum) and a new non tamper algo so the data will be real and from the unit.

The extra database will be kept PGPS compatible, but we wont be releasing the new database format for the USA or Canada to anyone for now. There are some minor modifications for the additional database, the vectors have been removed, you can just use angle. If you need the new format, it can be supplied. Its also possible to make the PGPS database to be sent direct from server to the unit if thats is what you prefer to use.

There are a lot more web based features that Wayne has not mentioned as well as other goodies in the new OS and update sw.

Thanks go out to the beta testers and Wayne for their time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: