Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New type of camera?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New type of camera?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodstone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: New Camera Reply with quote

The sensor is pointing down at first set of lines. think its there to catch people slowing down before camera. nothing as yet on other pole.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone local to that camera please have a closer look at the area.

2nd page on this thread, 4th picture. Shows some metalwork pole with ladder going up it behind the fence and skip. What is that?

If its a mobile phone mast then there is every chance that the new camera is in breach of ACPO guidlines...................Shouldnt be within a certain (50meters i think, top of my head) of a mobile phone basestation.

May be a lighting pole for a stadium or similar though, cant tell.

Steve
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Andy_P2002 post pick 1/2/3 if you look at pick 1 and 2 you will see a white disc with a gold ring around it this is a height sensor so is there a low bridge or a weight limit on this road they also use these in bus lanes so they might even add one of those
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonys66 wrote:
In Andy_P2002 post pick 1/2/3 if you look at pick 1 and 2 you will see a white disc with a gold ring around it this is a height sensor so is there a low bridge or a weight limit on this road they also use these in bus lanes so they might even add one of those

That is a bus lane camera.

The first three pic's taken by Andy_P2002 were from other established cameras on his walk prior to taking the controversial pictures-4 to 7.
All these cameras are within a small walk of each other on the A3.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Anyone local to that camera please have a closer look at the area.

2nd page on this thread, 4th picture. Shows some metalwork pole with ladder going up it behind the fence and skip. What is that?

If its a mobile phone mast then there is every chance that the new camera is in breach of ACPO guidlines...................Shouldnt be within a certain (50meters i think, top of my head) of a mobile phone basestation.

May be a lighting pole for a stadium or similar though, cant tell.

Steve

There are golf clubs here on both sides of the road, I wouldn't have thought a golf club would use a stadium type mast lighting pole, so more likely a phone mast.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a phone mast, you can even see it on Google Earth/Maps casting its shadow, see Google Maps link.

Do we know for certain that there are such guidelines about camera placement close to such masts, any references for it?
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ACPO Guidelines:

"When selecting a casualty reduction site, treat with extra caution places with view of: high voltage overhead lines, transmitting masts or tower, airports or harbours, and any other place where high power radar transmitters may be expected to operate.
Never point a speedmeter at a civil or military aircraft, vessel or armoured vehicle. Many military aircraft, vehicles or vessels have target acquisition detectors, some of which initiate automatic counter measures.
With the current popularity of Citizen Band radio transmitters, mobile telephones and satellite or radio communication systems, it may be difficult in a suburban street to tell the difference between transmitting aerials and domestic receiving aerials.
It is important, therefore, to ensure no interference is present by carrying out 180º and 360º repeated checks in accordance with the instructions for a particular device. Checks must be made when the device is set in the measuring mode and with no vehicles present in the field of view, to verify the meter display is blank and/or the radio interference indicator is not indicating the presence of interference.
Do not use GSM phones when using any radar device.
Some meters are fitted with RFI protection circuits. The operation is described in the operator’s handbook relevant to the device."

A camera van parks just by the access to our estate (yes, its marked in your database, Laughing Out Loud) and he was directly opposite a street furniture type basestation. After taking pics of him I approached and got chatting to him. I asked if he knew he wasnt supposed to operate the LTI20/20 or any sort of speed detection device within a reasonable (I thought I had read 50 yrds but cant find the reference now) distance of a radio tower. He said that he did. So I asked why he was parked so close to one then? Am I, oh, I didnt realise, are you sure. Yes I replied, its there, I installed it so I know what it is, Laughing Out Loud.

Next time I saw the camera van, it had moved a bit further down the road and never seen it as close to the mast again.

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and useful. I may approach the London SCP and ask for their comment on this installation!
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the many links to the ACPO guidelines:

http://www.pepipoo.com/files/ACPO/ACPO_full.htm

I did have a pdf copy but seem to of lost it!

I did maybe think that the location could be tested for RF interference and could be quite easily and be within any recomended levels. BUT, and its a big BUT the operator of the basestation can and often does upgrade the equipment in their sites that could change any readings that are taken from the location. A simple optimisation of the antenna (tilt up and down or degree of direction) could change readings let alone a full kit swap inside the cabin.

I am not an RF engineer and dont know the full story with possible interference but if ACPO suggest that its a possibilty then who knows.

Regarding my conversation with the talivan operator (who was a really nice guy BTW) I noted that his TETRA system was switched on in the rear of the talivan. Thats also a very very big NO NO according to ACPO. Also had a mobile phone on his belt, switched on, another NO NO........

Having said all that, I think the operators round here (Fife) are more reasonable than others I read about. Not sure if their rules of engagement are less strict and they give you some leeway to slow down etc.

I have always said that someone driving at say 85mph on a clear DC or motorway in good conditions and sees a talivan from a good distance and reacts accordingly is a more observant driver than one that slams on their brakes 100 yards away from said talivan even if they are within the prescribed speed limit. One could then say a more observant driver will be a safer driver. I quite often see cars braking ahead for no apparent reason and treat that with suspicion of either an incident that I cant yet see or a Talivan.
I understand that in NI (from a PSNI pal) that when speed checking, say on a bridge, they set a "gate". This gate has a far distance and a near distance. Dont matter what speed people are doing outside those distances but if they come within those far and near distances and are speeding thats them done. I am also led to believe that the "gate" is quite close to the Talivan so to give the motorist a chance. Also something to do with speeding to be endemic over there, if they did prosecute everyone then the system would grind to a halt overnight!

Anyway, wandered way off topic there, sorry!

Steve
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, the ACPO guidelines are just that, guidelines.
It is a well known fact that guidelines are for ignoring, unless they are EU 'guidelines' which seem to be IMMEDIATELY cast in stone and enforced with the full weight of the law.
goodstone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Revised Photo Camera Site A3 Reply with quote

Hello ppl,

Jst got better photo at site. it is a mobile mast behind, approx 50-100 meters away from camera. Picture below. Please note Block roadworks sign on previous picture on page page 4. Could be part of bigger project. will keep you informed of progress.

Anthony
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50m away from a radio tower is I beleive within the guidlines anyway, although like anything, there are so many variables, who knows!

Its another thing to throw in the equation if fighting a case though!

Steve
john1234567890
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been following this thread for a while noticed the new camera on my daily drive and decided to find out what it was since I've never seen anything like it. Anyway I got home this morning and went about visiting my usual websites and found this article:

http://pistonheads.com/speed/default.asp?storyId=18076

Seems it is a new type of camera that a german company are running as a trial, to gain approval from the home office. The manufacturer is http://www.robot.de.

The article also states that the camera is not enforcing. Who wants to be the first one to test that?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find, well done!
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, we now know what it is - well at least some of it.

Any add-ons to a camera that include ANPR can only be good.

Seems a lot of gadgets for just ANPR though, there must be a lot more surprises waiting. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: