Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
MacFixer, the iPhone, iPod, and iPad specialists
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Harman Kardon GPS 500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Harman Kardon GPS 500
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 05, 2008
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Windup - Tried what you suggested; if you don't put a space in then you don't get an opportunity to enter any other digits - they are all greyed out. If you then press "DONE" you get a choice of many CT post codes from which you can make a choice. However, if you put in a space after the first 4 digits the unit allows you to enter another 3 digits - in other words the full post code. Whether you tried this no-one will ever know and maybe your unit was faulty all along! Probably best to assume this was the case!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
windup
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 14, 2008
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
Hi Windup - Tried what you suggested; if you don't put a space in then you don't get an opportunity to enter any other digits - they are all greyed out. If you then press "DONE" you get a choice of many CT post codes from which you can make a choice. However, if you put in a space after the first 4 digits the unit allows you to enter another 3 digits - in other words the full post code. Whether you tried this no-one will ever know and maybe your unit was faulty all along! Probably best to assume this was the case!


Terry,
I can't believe I may have done that but never mind.
Many thanks for your help.
Adios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mwayman
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 06, 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: HK GPS 500 Reply with quote

Thanks to all who suggested putting a space in the postcode. I tried it today and all seems well. It seems obvious really and that's perhaps why no mention of it in the instructions. However I've spent years using MS Autoroute on the PC and it was never necessary to leave a space. So there's my excuse! The speedcam warnings are now more bearable after I set it to warn only when over the limit. Re TMC, I checked it several times today and it occasionally advised that TMC was present and gave the name of the radio station, Classic then Capital. However, I've yet to receive any kind of visual or audible warning about re-routing.
Whilst driving through central London today I noted that many of the suggested turns were impossible due to some being closed off or no right/left turns. It is possible to advise Tele Atlas re any changes and they then update their software once verified. I'd be prepared to do that if they would give regular updates, say every 3 months, for a nominal fee. All in all, this little SatNav is growing on me and I'll probably hang onto it after all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
glesgaguy
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 11, 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very satisfied with this unit, regarding the postcode entry you do have to enter the "dash - " symbol between the first 4 digits and the last 3 digits,if you type the first 5 digits it gives you several address options, the 5 digit input is handy if you are unsure of the full postcode, it gives you the option to scroll through several addresses in the 4 digit area.

One little fault I have found with the unit is at my local four exit/entry roundabout, if approaching from a certain direction it gives the instruction "take 4th exit" now that would take you back in the direction you have just travelled, I believe the reason for this is that one of the exit/entries has a large grass island and the unit may be counting the entry as an exit, although the green map route does show the correct exit.

I like the fact that I can use it as a MP3 player if Iam walking in the city and I need directions, I can listen to music and get directions at the same time Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
glesgaguy
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 11, 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm that this unit does in fact come with pre loaded speed/saftey cam identification, free without subcription, just download and run the installer program.

I'm unsure if the warnings are only given in the map view (that's when it worked for me) or if they are available also on planned journeys (need to try that).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 05, 2008
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glesgaguy wrote:
Just to confirm that this unit does in fact come with pre loaded speed/saftey cam identification, free without subcription, just download and run the installer program.

I'm unsure if the warnings are only given in the map view (that's when it worked for me) or if they are available also on planned journeys (need to try that).


Very interested to hear you say that speed camera database is included; I paid 19 euros for it! Silly me! Where did you find the installer programme?

Regards Terry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
glesgaguy
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 11, 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
glesgaguy wrote:
Just to confirm that this unit does in fact come with pre loaded speed/saftey cam identification, free without subcription, just download and run the installer program.

I'm unsure if the warnings are only given in the map view (that's when it worked for me) or if they are available also on planned journeys (need to try that).


Very interested to hear you say that speed camera database is included; I paid 19 euros for it! Silly me! Where did you find the installer programme?

Regards Terry


I believe it would be the same web site that you paid your subcription to.
The installer is POI WARNER, you only need to download this to get the data.
The Free version of the saftey cam enabeler only installs the fix cams, the mobile cams are not installed.
Can you confirm if the subcription gives warnings when you are on a planned route ?
I have only tested it on the map view when it gave audable and visual warning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terrywallis
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 05, 2008
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the speedcam mode works in both "map" and "navigation" modes. For some reason it gives the maximum speed at camera sites as 1 mph less than the actual speed (ie 29mph in a 30 mph area). Better safe than sorry I suppose! I will visit the POI Warner site again and see if I can download just the loader. Although I downloaded both static and mobile camera data my machine has yet to announce a temporary camera site, eventhough I have passed through locations where my wife's Talex says there may be a mobile camera.
Have you used the MP3 player yet? If so, how do you get it to play an album in track order, and not in alphabetical order as it seems hell bent on doing!
Regards, Terry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mwayman
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 06, 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Backup??? Reply with quote

Any other satnavs I've had come with some sort of backup media,usually a DVD or SD card. I wonder where we stand if the device goes belly up and we lose all the data???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor


Joined: May 29, 2005
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just picked one of these up from Maplin (129.99 minus 7 if you sign up online for their newsletter as you get a discount code). None of my local Morrisons had these, so looks like I missed out on that deal...

Anyway, so far, so good. The device came with the latest firmware revision, and so far, has not had any problems whatsoever. The navigation software is a customised version of iGO, which is also shipped with Mio units among others. The maps on the GPS 500 are allegedly Q4 2006, where as the new model, the GPS 510, has map data from Q2 2007. The maps are from TeleAtlas, so are the same ones that you'll find in a TomTom unit, and although I'd have liked to have had slightly newer revisions, for the price, I'm not too fussed. The way I see it, even if the latest roads arent on there, it'll still route me somehow to where I want to get, or as near as matters. I'm not a heavy sat nav user, so I wouldnt pay top dollar for the latest and greatest maps anyway.

The postcode finder thats been discussed is not an issue. I have not had any problems using full UK postcode searching, provided you use a space between the first and last parts of the postcode. The touch screen is very responsive, and as it's a decent size, I've not had issues with mis keying like I have when using satnav on my PDA.

The speed camera database is a bit of an odd one. It would appear that you can get free fixed camera data by downloading the application previously discussed, and using that to copy the database to a memory card (you will need a memory card for this). Once copied over, you will need to reset the device using a pin on the bottom right of the unit for them to appear (didnt realise this at first!). I will try this feature out in anger shortly, and report back, but from a quick scan of the maps, I can see right away that the camera database is not complete which is a shame. To be honest though, if you really want good speed camera alerts, and directional awareness so you only get warned when approaching cameras on your side of the road, none of the solutions I've tried previously have ever come close to my Origin B2. I've come to the conclusion that if you want sat nav, buy a sat nav. If you want good speed camera alerts, buy a device for that purpose. Sat nav's with speed cam alerts are always a little rough, as they are for the most part, a rebranding of their simple POI system. I'll let you know if the GPS 500 changes my mind on this.

The TMC system does tune reliably to broadcasts with TMC data (for me, either Essex FM, or Classic FM), but I've been fortunate enough to not get into any traffic congestion recently, so I need to reserve judgement on this feature for now.

So far, I really like the unit. Yes, the maps arent bang up to date, and the speed camera system is likely to be as lacklustre as the other satnav's I've used, but for the money, you get a very nice looking device, with a good battery, a glorious widescreen display, good car mounting system and the added bonus of music and video playback if that floats your boat. The nav software is very capable, and getting full europe coverage is a bonus too for the price. Provided you're aware of the above, I think you'll find it hard to be disappointed with this unit. If you're expecting a sat nav that gives you the moon on a stick, look elsewhere and increase your budget accordingly, otherwise go and grab one from Maplin while they're on offer (or Morrisons if you're lucky) and enjoy it for what it is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mwayman
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 06, 2008
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maxrom,I think you just about summed it up all pretty well. No such thing as a perfect SatNav out there, but for the money, this unit is very good. By the way, ebay has one of these going for 26 at the moment...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor


Joined: May 29, 2005
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

26!?! For that price, I'd buy a second one just to play movies on... much cheaper than those Archos portable media players, and the screen is bigger than those too..!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
glesgaguy
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 11, 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terrywallis wrote:
Yes, the speedcam mode works in both "map" and "navigation" modes. For some reason it gives the maximum speed at camera sites as 1 mph less than the actual speed (ie 29mph in a 30 mph area). Better safe than sorry I suppose! I will visit the POI Warner site again and see if I can download just the loader. Although I downloaded both static and mobile camera data my machine has yet to announce a temporary camera site, eventhough I have passed through locations where my wife's Talex says there may be a mobile camera.
Have you used the MP3 player yet? If so, how do you get it to play an album in track order, and not in alphabetical order as it seems hell bent on doing!
Regards, Terry


Thanks for the Info.
Regards the MP3's, I haven't figured this out myself yet, I don't have any numbered tracks in my album folders.
The unit seems to recognise the Albums ok but as you say it plays tracks in alphabetic order, however if you select ARTIST then GENRE or ALBUM then GENRE it seem to list Numeric values in the albums on the card, maybe you have to set a playlist. I've tried Sync in Windows Media Player but I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
glesgaguy
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Apr 11, 2008
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxrom wrote:


The speed camera database is a bit of an odd one. It would appear that you can get free fixed camera data by downloading the application previously discussed, and using that to copy the database to a memory card (you will need a memory card for this). Once copied over, you will need to reset the device using a pin on the bottom right of the unit for them to appear (didnt realise this at first!). I will try this feature out in anger shortly, and report back, but from a quick scan of the maps, I can see right away that the camera database is not complete which is a shame. To be honest though, if you really want good speed camera alerts, and directional awareness so you only get warned when approaching cameras on your side of the road, none of the solutions I've tried previously have ever come close to my Origin B2. I've come to the conclusion that if you want sat nav, buy a sat nav. If you want good speed camera alerts, buy a device for that purpose. Sat nav's with speed cam alerts are always a little rough, as they are for the most part, a rebranding of their simple POI system. I'll let you know if the GPS 500 changes my mind on this.
.


Great summation Maxrom. You say that data can be copied on to the SD card, would you know what kind of data could be used ? as a newbie to SAT NAV and on searching there seems to be specific data for certain makes (free).
Would you know which Model the HK may be compatable with ?
I'm very happy with the Free data on the unit at present, as I don't do that much mileage, but who knows ? I may want to try and update it in the future and free would be better Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maxrom
Occasional Visitor


Joined: May 29, 2005
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to repeat the question, but has anyone ever seen traffic information on this device using TMC? I've done some research, and TMC is indeed not a free service in the UK, but manufacturers of equipment used in the UK are supposed to license TMC from one of the two providers. The TMC data is not encrypted, so could be used by any device capable of receiving it, so that fact that my unit picks up a TMC signal, and confirms that TMC is present, you'd think traffic info would come through.... nothing yet though (although luckily, I've still yet to find any serious congestion.. thankfully!).

Anyone else seen traffic info on their units in the UK?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
21.021 (01 Feb 23)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping