Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cutomized poi's for my go 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutomized poi's for my go 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Cutomized poi's for my go 300 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
A newby I'm afraid a friend has given me a tom tom go 300 which i have been using and love it, when i got it it had customized poi alerts (the spoken ones ) he said he got from this site.
I have since updated it to version 7.162 and they have disappeared and the usual bells whistles etc have come back,are they still available to download and re install for this version on here and how do you do it??
I appologise if i have posted were i shouldn't have or for asking a silly question but please be gentle with me as i am a complete techno phobe and an email is about my limit !

Thanks
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome to the forum here is link to pois...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

and with the new firmware you can use the ogg file method for putting warnings on..... Cool
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For spoken alerts for POI files please see THIS Page which contains downloads and more importantly the instructions to use the files - Mike
bradz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone thanks very much for your help BUT as i have previously mentioned I'm hopeless with computers i have managed to get the file i require (Vicky consolidated ) i have unzipped it pasted it into the folder saying great Britain maps and nothing still all my original warning sounds??
I'm sure you guys show me what I'm doing wrong but you will probably all need therapy by the time you are finished with me!!!

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, it's an easy fix...

Let's just re-cap what you've done so far:
1. The POIs you are talking about are the PGPSW speed camera database?

2. You've got the "consolidated by type" version (that tells you the TYPE of camera (Gatso, redlight, Mobile ec.) but NOT the speed)?

3. You've downloaded the zip archive for the "consolidated by type" ogg sound alerts?

4. You've unzipped it to produce 6 files ?
pocketgps_uk_gatso.ogg
pocketgps_uk_mobile.ogg
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ogg
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ogg
pocketgps_uk_specs.ogg
pocketgps_uk_temp.ogg

5. You've copied those 6 files into the map folder where there are already files called:
pocketgps_uk_gatso.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2

If you are with me so far, then the last thing you need to do is go through the "Warn when near" set-up AGAIN, for EACH camera type.

With the files in place, go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn when near POI
Select the first camera type in the list, and if asked whether you want to delete or remove the warning answer NO.

You should now be asked to select the warning distance, followed by the 'Warn Only if POI on route' tickbox option.
If, in between those two, you are given an option to choose a normal sound effect, something has gone wrong as the system SHOULD pick up the correct audio file if it is named exactly the same as the camera data file.

Now repeat the above, setting up the POI warning for EACH camera category you have installed to the device.

If that isn't your problem, we'll start again Laughing
bradz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Firstly thanks very much for showing an interest and taking the time to compose such a helpful and lengthly post.
Unfortunately i have (i think ) done everything you suggested and it still only offers me the standard sounds when i try to manage my poi's.

1 I have downloaded the correct files but i only get 5 not 6 (Vicky consolidated) Mobile,red light,temps,gatso,specs ??

2 The folder i have tried copying them into is called great Britain maps also within that i have a folder called ov2 i have tried in there as well because the files you mention to look for appear in both of them ??

3 Tried the manage pois routine and it still only offers me the standard sounds ??

HOWEVER here is some information that may help you understand what I'm doing wrong..
Firstly when i unzip the files to extract them it turns them into a winamp audio file ?? is this correct as you mention an ogg file (sorry if thats a silly question ).
And most amazingly i tried in desperation copying them into my sounds folder and they seem to work!! when i go to the manage your poi's and set the cameras up it still offers me the standard sounds but the down loaded ones have been added and although its a bit fidly you can set them to the relevant camera types.

Again any guidance you could give me on how to get them set up in the correct manner would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradz wrote:
1 I have downloaded the correct files but i only get 5 not 6 (Vicky consolidated) Mobile,red light,temps,gatso,specs ??

Not all the sets have all the files. You can copy the "mobile" ogg file to one with "pmobile" instead if you wish.

Quote:
2 The folder i have tried copying them into is called great Britain maps also within that i have a folder called ov2 i have tried in there as well because the files you mention to look for appear in both of them ??

The files need to be in the map folder itself (the ov2, bmp and ogg files). I'm not sure if it would ever look for something in a sub-folder such as ov2.

Quote:
Firstly when i unzip the files to extract them it turns them into a winamp audio file ?? is this correct as you mention an ogg file (sorry if thats a silly question ).

The file itself ends with .ogg (make sure you have extensions shown - from any folder, click Tools | Folder options... | View tab | deselect "Hide extensions for known file types"). Your PC defaults to ogg files being loaded by Winamp which is why you get that icon.

Quote:
And most amazingly i tried in desperation copying them into my sounds folder and they seem to work!! when i go to the manage your poi's and set the cameras up it still offers me the standard sounds but the down loaded ones have been added and although its a bit fidly you can set them to the relevant camera types.

This is the alternative way of setting up the sounds. If you have it working like this, then that's fine. You could have renamed the ogg files to something shorter then they would have been more visible. Also, you can put the files in a sub-folder of 'sounds' which would then give you them in a list instead of icons.

You can select the "mobile" sound for pmobiles as well using this method.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You took the words right out of my mouth, Gerry! Thumbs Up
bradz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
Once again thanks for the information you have provided and I'm sorry about the delay in replying as i have been away working.

Being utterly useless with technology i think i will leave them in the sounds folder as they seem to be working fine and to be honest i don't think i would manage the alternative method you kindly provided!!

Just one more question though if i may what is the difference between a "mobile" and a "pmobile" the later of which i have not got? and do i need to get this warning?

Many Thanks
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradz wrote:

Just one more question though if i may what is the difference between a "mobile" and a "pmobile" the later of which i have not got? and do i need to get this warning?

Many Thanks

Please, read the information on this page. (Right hand side, just below the text "Speed camera Submission").
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't think it has been mentioned but you're camera database will be out of date. Much like anti-virus software it has to be kept updated to be of any use so you may wish to consider subscribing so you can get the latest data.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: