Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help with cumulative height gain please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with cumulative height gain please.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Help with cumulative height gain please. Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Legend HCx. When I transfer a tracklog to MM I can see the gps altitudes in the tracklog properties, but MM doesn't calculate a cumulative height gain. I've tried converting the tracklog into a route within MM which does have the facility to calculate height gain, but the gps altitudes aren't transferred from the tracklog into the route. Is there any way of summarising the tracklog altitude data in MM, or will I have to use a third party program such as GPS Utility?

Thanks for any advice
Tony
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I transfer a tracklog to MM I can see the gps altitudes in the tracklog properties, but MM doesn't calculate a cumulative height gain.

Yes, tracks and routes are completely different animals in MM but I must admit I'm not sure why they are treated so very differently. It would make perfect sense to give a total height gain, after all you can display the elevation profile.

Quote:
I've tried converting the tracklog into a route within MM which does have the facility to calculate height gain, but the gps altitudes aren't transferred from the tracklog into the route.

MM is correct not to transfer the GPS altitudes into the route: it wouldn't make sense. This principle was discussed recently from a different angle in connection with GPX files. MM cannot make any use of external altitude data because it has its own elevation model, and must use that.

Quote:
Is there any way of summarising the tracklog altitude data in MM...

Having converted the track into a route, MM will use its own elevation model to show height gain, profile etc. of the route - is that enough?.
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having converted the track into a route, MM will use its own elevation model to show height gain, profile etc. of the route - is that enough?.

Ah, but there's the rub; MM doesn't use it's own profile data - or at least I can't work out how to get it to do so. When I convert the imported tracklog to a route, MM doesn't show any altitude data in the route properties and doesn't calculate height gain/loss. Am I missing something?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you getting elevation data displayed by the basic map?

MemoryMap has two files a .qct which is the map information and a .qed which is the elevation model. Both need to be in the same directory and have the same file name.

The easy way to check is to open the file, ensure the Data button is selected and look at the information displayed in the info box alongside the cursor. It should show position and elevation.

Imports of tracklogs in MemoryMap V5 should allow you to use either GPS or internal elevation information in creating a profile.
burtonian
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil I think you've explained it.

I'm importing a tracklog from a bike ride in Shropshire. For that ride I only have the OS 1:250,000 road atlas map supplied by MM, not a 1:25,000 scale.

Although contours are shown on the 1:250k the cursor shows no elevation data, whereas on the 1:25k it does. Therefore to get elevation data for the Shropshire tracklog I guess I'll have to either export to a third party program or buy more detailed MM mapping e.g. 1:50k series.

Have I understood correctly? If so it'll be a choice between GPS Utility software or a big Birthday and Christmas list!!
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The (free) European Elevation data file download from MM's website includes the UK, so you can use that with areas of the UK that you don't have 1:50k or 1:25k mapping. Just rename it the same as the map, but with a .QED extension. However, the (horizontal) resolution is very poor compared with the 1:50k data, so it's of limited accuracy.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: