Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beware of upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Beware of upgrades Reply with quote

I purchased the original TomTom Go, when it first came out. I recently decided that it was time to purchase the latest maps. Somehow, I ended up with both the old and new maps on my device. One was interfering with the other and I was finding that street names were missing, and warning sounds that I set, would mysteriously re-set themselves.
I asked TT tech support for advice. I did various things, up to calling Holland at £'s / minute. The upshot of this is when you upgrade your maps, "Buyer beware". I have now lost every favourite and POI that I have collected over the years, despite making a backup as recommended by TomTom. Evil or Very Mad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on your backup for a file called something like MapSettings.cfg

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 2 Map Folders on the Device, you must have installed a larger SD Card. The reason there could be 2 Maps is because the Folders are named differently and one won't overwrite the other.

There should also be no reason for them to interfere with each other.

For the POI you only need to Copy the OV2 and BMP Files to the New Map Folder. An Explorer Backup is preferred to a HOME Backup as there have been issues in the past with HOME.

The File that contains Favourites, Home location, etc. resides in the .cfg File in the Map Folder. On older Maps this was named the same as the Map Folder. Great_Britain.cfg if the Map Folder was Great_Britain.

That is now changed in that all New Maps use MapSettings.cfg. All that is needed is to change the File Name accordingly.

Is there a reason why you have retained the old Map? Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard, sorry about the delay getting back to you. When I bought the new maps, nowhere did it say to delete the old one. I thought that if I deleted it, my POI's and Favourites would go with it. Rolling Eyes

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. How big is your SD Card, and do you have 2 Maps on it? If the SD Card is big enough, you won't be asked to delete anything.

Did you do an Explorer Backup, or a HOME Backup? Did you do it before installing the new Map?

Let's start from there. We need as much information as possible, because we only know the problem, and what you did, through what you tell us. Smile

john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased an upgrade of the mapping on my old tomtom go I bought a new fast speed 1gb card I then added the map to the card( after copying the contents from your original SD card) !

If I go to switch maps I can now choose between the older version or the newer version via the switch map menu button.

Have you looked in your Tomtom account to see if you can still access it??
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Oldboy, this is mostly academic now.........

I noticed that sometimes when trying to navigate to an address in a city, the street name would not be listed. I am talking about old main streets, not new streets on the outskirts.

I contacted TomTom who said that I must have too many files on my device, but if I download and run a little applet, that will cure all my problems. There was a warning that some files would be deleted. Now I am quite clever! I'll do a backup first - bulletproof. WRONG.

I backed up using TT Home, I ran the applet and tried my device. I lost all POI's and favourites from the last four years or whetever, but it didn't matter, because I had cleverly made a backup previously - right? WRONG. I restored the backup and got my POI's and Favourites back. A few days later, I went on a long trip up the A1 only to find that the M1 / A1 link road had disappeared, even though I had it two weeks previously!
In essence I could have all my POI's etc. and my old maps or new maps without any of the old files, but not a combination of both.

Well I restored, backed up, copied, pasted and goodness knows how many combinations of all the above. I had files and folders everywhere! I was fuming with anger. I deleted every reference to TomTom on my PC and went to buy a Garmin Nuvi 760T!
Nice, solid, well built model, but the software was a complete let down, so I sent it back, bit the bullet and now am the proud owner of a TomTom Go 720 T.
The one thing that I have learned from this is that TomTom Home backups are not to be trusted. I also do a manual copy to a different folder on my PC Stop it!

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
Hello Oldboy, this is mostly academic now.........

I noticed that sometimes when trying to navigate to an address in a city, the street name would not be listed. I am talking about old main streets, not new streets on the outskirts.

I contacted TomTom who said that I must have too many files on my device, but if I download and run a little applet, that will cure all my problems. There was a warning that some files would be deleted. Now I am quite clever! I'll do a backup first - bulletproof. WRONG.

I backed up using TT Home, I ran the applet and tried my device. I lost all POI's and favourites from the last four years or whetever, but it didn't matter, because I had cleverly made a backup previously - right? WRONG. I restored the backup and got my POI's and Favourites back. A few days later, I went on a long trip up the A1 only to find that the M1 / A1 link road had disappeared, even though I had it two weeks previously!
In essence I could have all my POI's etc. and my old maps or new maps without any of the old files, but not a combination of both.

Well I restored, backed up, copied, pasted and goodness knows how many combinations of all the above. I had files and folders everywhere! I was fuming with anger. I deleted every reference to TomTom on my PC and went to buy a Garmin Nuvi 760T!
Nice, solid, well built model, but the software was a complete let down, so I sent it back, bit the bullet and now am the proud owner of a TomTom Go 720 T.
The one thing that I have learned from this is that TomTom Home backups are not to be trusted. I also do a manual copy to a different folder on my PC Stop it!

That has always been the general consensus on the forum DO NO TRUST TOMTOM HOME I like you learned the hard way now I use tomtom home as little as possible .
One last piece of advise may sure you disconnect your device correctly when using Tomtom home.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
One last piece of advise may sure you disconnect your device correctly when using Tomtom home.
Make sure you disconnect your Device correctly whenever you have connected it to the PC.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: