Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - does any one have a nonbuzzy 720????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

does any one have a nonbuzzy 720????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cejsmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: does any one have a nonbuzzy 720???? Reply with quote

I had my first bluetooth call today and while it was better than my first 720 it still buzzed abit.

I was just wondering if anyone had one that didn't.

Also why should we have to put the volume upto 100% to hear phone calls clearly ( and no I'm not deaf and the car isn't full of noise)
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

All 720 have this problem. It is a design flaw.
If you feel cheated then you should do.
My advice try and get your money back if you can.
It sounds like you've not yet enjoyed the full psycotic nature of this device yet. Sometimes they go completely mental when making mobile bluetooth calls, start screaming like a machne gun and shaking violently; and you can't shut them down.

Get your money back - you've been robbed.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uknaughtydog is obviously not a happy TomTom customer, but there are many thousands who are...
Remember there aren't many people who join forums like this just to say "my unit works fine".
cazmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: buzzy noises Reply with quote

Then let me be one of the first......MY TOMTOM 720 WORKS FINE. Razz
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be new here but I have had considerable experience of forum use with other things.

As I eagerly await the arrival of my 920T tomorrow I can only say what a God send this forum has been 'in preparation' . Backup straight away, potential problems etc etc.

I do however think the last point is well made. Forums traditionally attract the negative comments and provide a release for the frustration of those affected, however, -

I would love to hear how many others are actually really pleased with their x20 and find that they work as they should. Perhaps then I could start to shake of the trepidation that has now arisen as a result of reading many of the recent posts on here. To be honest I am now really questioning whether I should have bought the Garmin after all!!!!

Wink
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Question - The 520/720/920 are the exact same unit with just different mapping - yes?

My 520 works fine. The Bluetooth handsfree does crash sometimes. But this during a number of specific moments :-

1- Network handoff during callsetup. When the mobile handsover the Control Channel from one Cell to another during setup TomTom gets confused. Possibly over the delay in setup

2- Calls dropped then quick re-call or the caller calls you back. Again this linked with 1

3- Quick Call succession. I'm working on why i think this happens. Waiting for cell logs from one of the operators.

Other than that it works ok. It's when you end up dropping a call with a quick re-dial the TTG seems to get confused.

I often wonder if we are expecting just too much from these units. If using a cellphone is critical to your day-to-day operations then purchase a fitted handsfree kit?

For people like me who can live without making calls on-the-go the TTG is a very usable and worthwhile unit.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:
Quick Question - The 520/720/920 are the exact same unit with just different mapping - yes?

Not quite.
The 520 and the 720 are the same (in the UK at least) apart from the amount of internal memory to fit the maps onto (1GB for the 520, 2GB for the 720).

The 920 has several differences (4GB memory, a remote control, and Enhanced Position Technology (EPT) accelerometer and gyroscope to cover short loss of satellite signal. In the UK the 920 only comes complete with the Traffic receiver in the box, whereas the other two can come with or without it.

See Darren's review HERE for more details on the differences.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from inheriting the loss of signal and cursor in the field scenarios (which also happens with my 910) in the last 3 weeks everything else on the 720 appears to be fine.
Just as well i suppose as TomTom have enough problems on their plate with a host of ongoing issues.

I am hoping the latest bug will be a price one on the X30's as in a fair price. Looking at the x20's it is obvious the mark up is quite high as the prices being offered by some retailers were very keen if you judge it by the RRP.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 720 also works perfectly. It is my only one and had it since nov/dec last year. It is not true to say a particular fault is inherent with all units,that is why i felt it necessary to reply.

have you tried it without the power plugged in? perhaps its your car causing interference and not the tomtom!! Shocked Wink Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Hands free fault on two occasions, both times the power lead had fallen out of the socket while in hire cars, this is over around 9 months.
The unit seems to require external power for the hands free connection to work reliably - a minor problem considering the device is supplied with a charger cable which the instructions clearly state should be used - Mike
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handsfree works on my 2nd 720 but it's too quiet to use on a motorway.

My first 720 had the buzzing fault, but that was when it was first launched.
Thought they would have that sorted by now. Rolling Eyes
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried my GO720 with my Nokia E65 and it seemed to work fine.
I wasn't plugged into the charger.
I have to admit that the volume could have been a little louder but I've not really experimented with it that much.

Shouldn't really be talking on the phone whilst driving really anyway I guess !!

Cheers

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you aware there is a seperate volume control available while using the Hands Free with the phone? - to set the level make a call and while using the unit Hands Free tap the lower left of the screen then slide the volume control to the required level, this is different to the nav mode audio level (even though it appears the same) - Mike
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Mike,
I'll give that a try next time I'm bluetoothed.

Cheers

Gavin

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
smspeedy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720T works perfectly well.I have followed the advise on here and backed up etc.I have done all the updates and the unit is still flawless in operation.One gripe is the traffic option,but i think that is more the poor system at fault than the Tom Tom itself.

Steve.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: