Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help for newbie please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help for newbie please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hethmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Help for newbie please Reply with quote

Ive had my Garmin nuvi 200W for a few weeks now and am getting the hang of it (totaly non techi) I am being urged by Garmin to sub to their speed camera alerts which are £30 a year. Sorry to be a thicko, but would this site provide me with more comprehensive info than the official Garmin site please?
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

without a doubt as you have the combined input from all types of sat nav users inputting new cameras daily this sites camera data is the most comprehensive there is Laughing
hethmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply. Ive just been trying to understand how to download. I have the nuvi 200W - is it a case of just plugging in and downloading or do I have to make choices as I cant understand all the techi stuff on the stickies? Embarassed

Ive just looked at how to download - first of all - Im worried about this:

Ensure that you have Proximity Alerts turned on in the units settings
2. If you have a newer unit with the Garmin / Cyclops camera database installed then you may want to turn off alerts for this database to avoid duplicate warnings.

The other thing is, it only mentions Windows XP on the instructions - I have XP right now but a new puter is coming Monday with Vista - will that be compatible please?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have subscribed here you can download the database. The format you need to select is Garmin POILoader and then Consolidated.

You need a program called POILoader from Garmin Download free here.

Once you have the database you need to unzip it into a folder on your PC and use POILoader to load it onto the Nuvi.

Full instructions are here

Don't forget we are here if you have problems.
---
Quote:
Ensure that you have Proximity Alerts turned on in the units settings

They probably will be one already but look around the settings for Proximity Alerts.

Quote:
If you have a newer unit with the Garmin / Cyclops camera database installed then you may want to turn off alerts for this database to avoid duplicate warnings.

Once you find the Proximity Alerts section you'll see you can tick or untick the Garmin Database. Untick it to turn it off.

The PGPSW database is cheaper, more up to date, updated more often and you have the opportunity to be given a Free Lifetime Subscription (see this thread.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hethmar wrote:
The other thing is, it only mentions Windows XP on the instructions - I have XP right now but a new puter is coming Monday with Vista - will that be compatible please?

It all works well with Vista, I'm using the Garmin POILoader and Ash10's Camera Manager in Vista x64 Ultimate with no problems at all.
hethmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys, I guess Im a bit nervous of doing the wrong thing, messing up the garmin and them washing their hands of me cos I didnt use their downloads.

Ill have a look in a second again or I may wait til Monday when I get the new computer.

Very grateful for everyones kind assistance Wink
hethmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, have new puter with Vista. I havent paid my sub yet as Im not sure if I can manage this Rolling Eyes

Ive downloaded the POI thing from Garmin. But I tried to look to see which program I should download from here and I cant see the "Consolidated" thing you said to choose please?
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hethmar wrote:
Right, have new puter with Vista. I havent paid my sub yet as Im not sure if I can manage this Rolling Eyes

Ive downloaded the POI thing from Garmin. But I tried to look to see which program I should download from here and I cant see the "Consolidated" thing you said to choose please?

hethmar the reason why you cant see them is I haven't paid my sub yet when you have subscribed you will have access to the database. "its well worth the money" and you will always get advice from the forum if you have a problem .......

Wiz
hethmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Rolling Eyes Is that why? Embarassed I saw the list of programs and thought I should be seeing consolidated on there. (I am a natural blond - before I went grey that is)
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere (blonde or otherwise!).

You'll find no shortage of help here (pretty much 24/7) and this database is more than head and shoulders above the Garmin one - not to mention that it's cheaper
hethmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, sub paid, Chose Garmin, chose Consolidated and downloaded now worrying about the extracting bit but I will carry on trying.
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hethmar wrote:
Right, sub paid, Chose Garmin, chose Consolidated and downloaded now worrying about the extracting bit but I will carry on trying.

good on you hethmar. step 1 complete just take a step at a time you'll soon be doing it without thought. Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hethmar wrote:

if you right-click the file you downloaded you should have an option of 'extract files to...' - do this and it will ask you where you want the files extracting to. then run poiloader and tell it where you extracted the files to!

if you get stuck, just shout!

MaFt
hethmar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to have a rest after that. Ok, I right clicked on the pgsp files and extracted to new folder I named "Garmin POI File" . At this point I need to connect the Garmin to the puter and then the POIloader will recognise it and then I have to add that file I made. Ooo er. Shocked

(You should stickie this thread for computer dummies Laughing )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: