Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MioMap 3.3 for C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MioMap 3.3 for C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I have seen a non cosher version of 3.3 that has a folder called tts in its folder list. I did not entertain trying it, so can't say whether it works or not.
I'm going to stick with 3.2. It's OK for me. Very Happy I have found that the routing of the Honda satnave leaves a lot to be desired. Sad

Ah, it must be that version of 3.3 that I read about - the mainstream/legal version does seem to have tts support but only in relation to the commands that are hard wired in to the miomap.exe.

Out of interest how much extra did the sat nav option for the Honda cost? I looked in to Ford and Fiat options and the cost of the sat nav was about a quarter of the price of the car!

If anyone is interested here are some problems I've found with 3.3 that were present in earlier versions of 3.2 but were fixed in the latest version of 3.2.

I've tested 3.3 for quite a few hours now and there are some annoying problems. Oddly this version seems to re-introduce some of the voice direction problems that were ironed out between various versions of 3.2. One example is the bear right instruction (instead of turn right) being given at certain junctions. I rolled back to 3.2 and tested at 3 junctions and found as I thought that the problem isn't present with 3.2. I've tested this with all of the bundled 3.3 voices - old and new ones. Whilst the new tts based voices aren't as good as the old non tts ones the problem is also present with the tried and trusted voices too.

This version also has problems detecting the appropriate turn point: I was given an instruction to turn left when in fact the correct turn according to the map (and commonsense) was to turn right. The software had regarded the left turn as a mere bend in the same road (despite the fact that it is clearly a left turn and the road name changes), ignored the left turn and instead provided instructions for trhe next right turn. The latest version of 3.2 doesn't do this although earlier versions did. It also gives a turn direction where the road name of a straight road changes and doesn't give a turn direction when there is a turn but the road name stays the same! I've tested with 3.2 and this doesn't happen.

GPS positioning also isn't working well for me: I think it may be software error checking but the GPS positioning isn't always accurate - either lagging behind or jumping ahead slightly of the correct position. I know that GPS positioning isn't completely accurate (even military grade devices incorporate error correction for unavoidable motion) but the problem with this version of 3.3. for me is that it can tip the unit in to distracting route recalculation. Whilst waiting at traffic lights waiting for a turn the unit sometimes (but not always) calculates that I have gone past the traffic lights missing the correct junction turn and recalculates the route. It shows the inaccurate position on the map also.

Some of the TMC bugs seem to be fixed. One that hasn't been is the one whereby an opposite direction jam can trigger a route recalculation if the opposite direction jam crosses a roundabout which is taken in by your route (even if you exit the roundabout before crossing the jam i.e don't cross over the jam line).

The lack of tts, for me, questions the value of this update especially when in many ways it seems to be a step back for the voice direction refinement that was introduced by the lastest version of 3.2.

I don't know if these problems were corrected in the latest 3.3 update (January 2008). It isn't available for non widescreen devices - September seems to be the last update.

I'll may go back to 3.2 or try to install a version of 3.3 on SD card (it uses the same license file as the one provided with the unit).
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Thanks for the information Gareth.

This is a change of direction then because the previous iGo was available on a card to run in any Windows Mobile device.

But would it really have been a worthwhile chargeable upgrade to a C710? There's no proper answer to that of course, it would be a very personal decision.

Sal

Sorry I didn't explain what I meant very well - iGo (including iGo 8) is available as a non installation app for Windows CE devices but my understanding has been that it isn't licensed for use on Mio PNA devices - this is gist of the response I got from Navngo who referred me to the oem supplier (Mio). Support doesn't seem to be available. Nobody would likely have a reasonable (or even an unreasonable) objection to people using purchased software though.

Still, the iGo (2006) software doesn't work brilliantly on Mio PNAs. The core function of sat nav works very well but a) exiting of the app to the desktop does not work b) resuming from standby means that device ports (GPS and TMC) have to be manually detected using software menus. There are also problems with bluetooth.

I've tried iGo 2006 with an SD card bought for a PDA. I used the soft hack to access the Windows desktop on the Mio PNA - the unit wasn't otherwise unlocked and this may make a difference.

I am impressed though with the speed and helpfulness with which Navngo answered my query and I wouldn't hesitate to buy iGo software in the future.

I'm tempted by iGo 8 but I suspect that there will be some compatibility problems and I'm not sure whether or not the C710s processor is up to rendering with good quality and speed some of the more funky features of the software such as road elevation and 3d buildings.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Out of interest how much extra did the sat nav option for the Honda cost? I looked in to Ford and Fiat options and the cost of the sat nav was about a quarter of the price of the car!

Not sure. When I said new, I didn't mean NEW, just new to me. Its actualy a May 07 car. I don't know how much the satnav update is, but I expact that your statement is not far from the truth if I know Honda prices.
Thanks for the breakdown on the 3.3. I agree that the tts based voice directions are pretty awful. As I said before, nothing has convinced me to redo the data.zip so that I can use 3.3. Crying or Very sad
I was playing with the unlocking software the other day which also includes some commands for altering the SIF Star lll receiver. I set it to track smoothing which gave me a positional delay and also overshoot at halt junctions with quite a delay before the speed read correctly. I pretty soon switched that off Confused
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Retty wrote:

Not sure. When I said new, I didn't mean NEW, just new to me. Its actualy a May 07 car. I don't know how much the satnav update is, but I expact that your statement is not far from the truth if I know Honda prices.
Thanks for the breakdown on the 3.3. I agree that the tts based voice directions are pretty awful. As I said before, nothing has convinced me to redo the data.zip so that I can use 3.3. Crying or Very sad
I was playing with the unlocking software the other day which also includes some commands for altering the SIF Star lll receiver. I set it to track smoothing which gave me a positional delay and also overshoot at halt junctions with quite a delay before the speed read correctly. I pretty soon switched that off Confused

Interesting - that sounds exactly like what is happening to me with Miomap 3.3 (but I haven't altered any settings at all). I've re-tested with 3.2 (this evening) and the GPS positioning is perfect.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: