Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MioMap 3.3 for C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MioMap 3.3 for C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal
Thanks for that. Very Happy now I'm seriously confused as to what to download and try. Shocked Any Ideas? or must I download everything and do a mix and match to try to get it working.
At the moment 3.2 works for me, but I like fiddling.

Trev
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the technical expression is 'suck it and see'

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal
I was realy, realy not wanting (but expacting) that answer. Crying or Very sad I never did like technical expressions.
I might have a go, but there again, I might not. 3.2 is OK but I believe that there are a couple of nice features in 3.3.
Shame about Mio dropping Igo (or was it the other way round?). I tried a navman before I got th3 710. Didn't like the nav. Could see no point in the photos etc. Oh well, I'll try the Greece map that I saw in your link somewhere and see if that works. Not that I have any intention of going to Greece, but must be complete if poss
Very Happy
Trev
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Sal
I was realy, realy not wanting (but expacting) that answer. Crying or Very sad I never did like technical expressions.
I might have a go, but there again, I might not. 3.2 is OK but I believe that there are a couple of nice features in 3.3.
Shame about Mio dropping Igo (or was it the other way round?). I tried a navman before I got th3 710. Didn't like the nav. Could see no point in the photos etc. Oh well, I'll try the Greece map that I saw in your link somewhere and see if that works. Not that I have any intention of going to Greece, but must be complete if poss
Very Happy
Trev

3.3 provides bug fixes over 3.2 (and introduces 1 or 2 of its own).

The major bug fix, as far as I can see, is TMC direction reporting for left hand drive.

The annoying thing about 3.3 is that the map routing animation isn't as fluid as with 3.2 - when you encounter a direction change there's a pause on the map animation which means that you can't see your actual road position (annoying when one direction comes quickly after another).

Bear in mind that this is the September version of 3.3 and not the most recent widescreen January version.

The tts voices also seem to lack speed cam warnings :-(

The intelligent keyboard is great and the tunnel mode is pretty funky too (managed to test it briefly on my way to Dover yesterday) ;-)

The skins are also great although a bit of hacking is needed to get some of the widescreen ones working with the C710. Bluetooth is also problematic.

Other than that some niggles (the main one being the map animation) it's a big improvement on 3.2 - it also seems to be more stable although the geographic specific lockups do still happen (? firmware problem)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now got the updater to work with the new url as posted by retty. MioMap 3.3 update downloaded and installed data.zip, failedto load a .bmp now PNA don't work. Have to persevere on that one. Downloaded and installed Denmark, Greece and Ireland maps. Must now have a fiddle and see if I can get the main prog downloaded.
Why the hell don't they download everything you need first and THEN put it on the PNA??? (rhetorical question)
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Now got the updater to work with the new url as posted by retty. MioMap 3.3 update downloaded and installed data.zip, failedto load a .bmp now PNA don't work. Have to persevere on that one. Downloaded and installed Denmark, Greece and Ireland maps. Must now have a fiddle and see if I can get the main prog downloaded.
Why the hell don't they download everything you need first and THEN put it on the PNA??? (rhetorical question)

Don't know - the update process can render the PNA useless which is why I always back up the existing installation (I've had to use the transfer hack on occasion to make the unit usable).

Which bmp did the update process fail to load?

One problem with this updater is that it can cause XP to be lose network connection functions (requiring a reboot). I don't know why this is but I've replicated it on 2 PCs.

It's best to get it while you can though because it's at least possible that, following Mio's major breach of contract fallout with Navngo, the iGo based Miomap software will be removed from the update server in the nearish future.

The new iGo powered devices have already been removed from pride of place on the Mio website and now can only be found in the legacy device series menus of the site.

I hope that Navngo produce SD card versions of their software compatible with Win CE. I note that TomTom has done this (with previous versions of their software) but the installation process doesn't seem to be easy (or ? possible) on a CX10 device which can't connect to a PC as a fully functional Pocket PC. I haven't unlocked my device but this may be the way to go.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update hung twice. Crying or Very sad Both times it was trying to put a file aral.bmp into a folder that did not exist on my 710. The first was attempting to upload it to MioMap\GFX\Brand_Big. I created the folder and ran update again. It then proceded to load all the *.bmps into my folder. It stuck again in attempting to upload the same file into \GFX\Brand_Small. I created the folder and ran update again. It once again proceded to load all the *.bmps into my folder, and continue with the update with no more ado. Very Happy
I suspect that if both the folders are created by the user prior to the update, all will be OK, but I havn't tested this theory.
Not all good news though. Crying or Very sad It promptly has a 'Fatal Error' whilst 'Starting'. I also noticed that there was no TTS folder.
I'm going to try a clear out of the PNA, A reload of 3.2 from the DVD then an update. I suspect that some of the stuff that I have done to my installation of 3.2 is screwing up the 3.3 update.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
The update hung twice. Crying or Very sad Both times it was trying to put a file aral.bmp into a folder that did not exist on my 710. The first was attempting to upload it to MioMap\GFX\Brand_Big. I created the folder and ran update again. It then proceded to load all the *.bmps into my folder. It stuck again in attempting to upload the same file into \GFX\Brand_Small. I created the folder and ran update again. It once again proceded to load all the *.bmps into my folder, and continue with the update with no more ado. Very Happy
I suspect that if both the folders are created by the user prior to the update, all will be OK, but I havn't tested this theory.
Not all good news though. Crying or Very sad It promptly has a 'Fatal Error' whilst 'Starting'. I also noticed that there was no TTS folder.
I'm going to try a clear out of the PNA, A reload of 3.2 from the DVD then an update. I suspect that some of the stuff that I have done to my installation of 3.2 is screwing up the 3.3 update.

That's the most likely explanation. I updated an out of the "box" 3.2 installation and although there were problems (big ones) the folders and files seemed to be created correctly. I say "seemed" to be created correctly bacause I have no speed cam warnings when using tts voices.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Retty
Retty wrote:

That's the most likely explanation. I updated an out of the "box" 3.2 installation and although there were problems (big ones) the folders and files seemed to be created correctly. I say "seemed" to be created correctly bacause I have no speed cam warnings when using tts voices.

That's pretty much what I did. I first created a copy of my 3.2 DVD on my hard drive. I then copied over all the stuff in the Cache folder of the update overwriting the original. Deleted the unwanted languages and voices etc. to make installation quicker. Then deleted MioMap from the PNA and did an installation from my new installation set. It now works. Well doesn't crash on startup anyway.
I havn't really tested it out yet on a trip of any kind, but first impressions are:- My usual TMC supplier is passed by, even though it says TMC present.
I like the Intellegent keyboard input.
I don't like the standard skin, having modified my own.
I don't have any TTS folder or .dll in the cache folder so presumably this did not download for some reson or another.
Oh well. Go for a drive and see how it behaves
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Hi Retty
Retty wrote:

That's pretty much what I did. I first created a copy of my 3.2 DVD on my hard drive. I then copied over all the stuff in the Cache folder of the update overwriting the original. Deleted the unwanted languages and voices etc. to make installation quicker. Then deleted MioMap from the PNA and did an installation from my new installation set. It now works. Well doesn't crash on startup anyway.
I havn't really tested it out yet on a trip of any kind, but first impressions are:- My usual TMC supplier is passed by, even though it says TMC present.
I like the Intellegent keyboard input.
I don't like the standard skin, having modified my own.
I don't have any TTS folder or .dll in the cache folder so presumably this did not download for some reson or another.
Oh well. Go for a drive and see how it behaves

There are some niggles aside from the map animation. The biggest one so far, which I've just discovered, is that when in an unknown area clicking on a space on the map doesn't always result in the place name being displayed. With 3.2 clicking on a space on the map resulted in a place name/road name label being displayed. It doesn't work as well with 3.3 - it works sometimes but the label is displayed under other onscreen items and the touch screen function doesn't always display the label (just the Follow icon).

Anyway, it's good that you managed to sort the problem out. Not sure why TMC isn't working though - mine seems to be working okay (Classic FM).
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igo 8, thats the way to go!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Igo 8, thats the way to go!!

Thanks for the info. I may investigate. I had thought of Igo 6 but could not find any gen.
Is Igo 8 available legally to run on the Mio C710?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

If it's sold as a separate software product then the answer is almost certainly yes. Perhaps MaFt can advise since he is now using it?

But since you have MioMap 3.2 or .3 working, why spent money on new software?

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

If it's sold as a separate software product then the answer is almost certainly yes. Perhaps MaFt can advise since he is now using it?

But since you have MioMap 3.2 or .3 working, why spent money on new software?

Sal

The answer is certainly "no" - it isn't available as a *legally* implemented product for PNA devices. There are, of course, various hacks.

Navngo have no plans to provide any of their PDA products for PNA devices (I received an email response from the a couple of weeks ago which was clear about oem sources as the only resource for PNA owners).

As I have said elsewhere TomTom has produces CE versions of TomTom software but even this os compatible software cannot be installed - without hacks - on CE powered PNA devices.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Gareth.

This is a change of direction then because the previous iGo was available on a card to run in any Windows Mobile device.

But would it really have been a worthwhile chargeable upgrade to a C710? There's no proper answer to that of course, it would be a very personal decision.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: