Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost GPS fix. TomTom 6 / HTC TYTN2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost GPS fix. TomTom 6 / HTC TYTN2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjt57
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Lost GPS fix. TomTom 6 / HTC TYTN2 Reply with quote

I am using an HTC TYTn2 on Orange with TomTom 6. I am having problems with the GPS fix, I am in Weston super Mare but TomTom is telling me I am in various locations in Europe.. The fone uses a program called Quick GPS to help speed up the Gps fix but I have been told on another forum (Modaco) that the problem is probably caused by an erroneous location entered into the GPS cache (possibly caused by Quick GPS) .it isn't cleared after a reset (soft, or hard) as it's kept within the chip itself; you need a way to flush the GPS info and download new info

I need to find a way to repopulate the GPS receiver cache with valid data (and a soft or hard reset of the device WON'T achieve that); this means finding an applcation that will cold start the GPS Receiver

Can anyone help with this problem? My appologies if this is in wrong forum.... My First post Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What maps do you have installed? Do you have the Western Europe map or Uk and other Countries as separate maps? which map have you got selected in TomTom?
kjt57
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have the Western European Maps installed.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if that's the clue......my TyTN runs just fine. I have installed seperately, UK, France, US, Aus, Spain, Germany, and each one is OK when swapped accordingly....I run everything on a 6Gb card....music, films, etc.etc.
kjt57
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was advised to start TomTom and leave running for an hour or so in direct sight of the sky. Left on a table in the garden for two hours, now showing the correct location.
Apparently doing this clears the memory and sorts the problem. Phone and Tomtom now OK
Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much clear the memory as refresh it with uptodate data. Every time you switch a GPS on it downloads data from the satellites themselves. QuickFix is designed to speed up this process but could well have been corrupt and caused the issue.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'QuickFix' is currupted....keeps saying failed..try again. How do I 'uncurrupt' it ?
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own your device. I have had several PDAs from Orange based on the HTC brand previously though. (use a BlackBerry now - unlike WM5/6 it delivers the dream it promises).

Not all HTC devices are the same in terms of OS after each Mobile provider has added their own software and Orange have, in my experience, a history of software that up GPS of various flavours.

If you want a test, back up your device, hard reset it and restart (by poking reset button with stylus) just before the device starts adding the customised software.

Can't guarantee it'll work but in the absence of a solution it's worth a shot.

Related post by me http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28701&highlight=orange+htc+rom

Different issue but gives details of the approach.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: