Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2008 Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2008 Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBL47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered the 2008 disc on the 8th February....still...waiting.
Just excuses from Garmin.
Mistake getting a Garmin in the first place.

JBL47
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You really need the new maps that bad?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have to admit, they don't handle expectations with these disks very well.

I know from the past that they can take quite a while to arrive, but Garmin don't keep you informed about this.

If you didn't know, you'd just assume they either hadn't done it, or it had got lost in the post. And when you contact them, they just say "Be patient, it will arrive...".

But as I said, they don't handle their customers expectations very well about it. No ETA, no interim contact or emails explaining the delay. They just sound snotty about it if you contact them about it not having arrived - and as a customer, how would you know if it was simply very slow at getting to you, or never going to (ie either lost, or not dealt with).
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBL47 wrote:
Ordered the 2008 disc on the 8th February....still...waiting.
Just excuses from Garmin.
JBL47

When I went to order mine (from Garmin UK web site) they put up a list of authorised resellers to order from (i.e. NOT directly from GARMIN). I picked globalpositioningsystems.co.uk (aka Expansys) as they had stock in and I got mine within a few days. (ordered Friday - received Tuesday). Ordering from the GARMIN website will trigger an order to be placed from the US I believe - and will add to the delivery time.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well you have to admit, they don't handle expectations with these disks very well.

I know from the past that they can take quite a while to arrive, but Garmin don't keep you informed about this.

IIRC it took ~8 months to get my v9 DVD by which time i decided against it as the v10 (2008) update was on the horizon.

However i wouldn't decide against Garmin on the strength of this problem, but i suppose it depends on how important the updates are to you. Some feel they have to have the latest maps, but i suspect most wouldn't notice the difference between v9 and v10 without a struggle.

At least you haven't paid for the DVD up front and are still waiting...

Having said that i understand the frustration.....
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely - I wouldn't choose against Garmin based on this.

After all, I don't get the same potential for a free update with my TomTom.

And personally, so long as I get it at some point, hopefully before the next update is available ;-), I'll be happy.

All that said, I don't think it would take much organisation or effort to keep people informed. As a generalism, I like to think that Garmin treat their customers well in terms of support, but I don't think it puts them beyond mentioning things they could do better.

Personally, as I said, I was aware the disks could take a while - but the longer it drags on for, it does make you start wondering if you're ever going to get it, and that if you're just patient and keep quiet, by the time it's reached the point of no return, you don't want them turning 'round and saying "Well it's too late to tell us now...".
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi M8s

According to one website, the information about ordering the disk through my.garmin.com or a local retailer/website is not entirely correct as there seem to be two update disk versions.

According to the instructions, the disk with the product code 13-0368-RMU can be bought directly from them, including a code to get it unlocked. This is for most of the nüvi series (except 7x0, which already have 2008 on them), zümo and StreetPilot c5x0.

The other units, like the rest of the StreetPilot series, iQue, Quest 2, GPSmap and etrex need a disk with product code 13-0368-UP. For that one, they explicitly state that it must be ordered through my.garmin.com, no other way is possible.

I own a Quest 2, so for that I have to wait for Garmin to send out the disk (ordered 10th of February, not arrived yet).

My guess is, that the units with SD cards or which don't have any "internal" map can be updated with the first version on sale by different websites.
For the units that need to update the internal, non-removable flash memory, the second version not available anywhere else is required.

BeatO

If someone likes to check the site I've got the information from, here is the link. This page is in German! The site is usually very trustworthy and accurate, so I assume this information is correct as well.

Addition: The above is of course only for the units accepting the NT version of the maps. But they write, that the non-NT version can only be ordered through myGarmin as well.
JBL47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't NEED to update as such, but my map versions are v8 I think, at least 3 yrs old and I am finding that some newer roads/byepasses etc are not on, so when the Garmin website said that v10 was "now available" I thought that an update was a good idea, and ordered.
But I am not impressed with the Garmin, just little things, eg
it doesn't give adequate warning to enter a slip road, it confuses bends with turns, it is dated with road priority and junctions. I was hoping that the update might be more accurate and precise and serve another 2/3 yrs, then bin and get another make.
But still waiting for the disc.......
JBL47
frankiex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a UK & IRE 2008 SD card from ACTIVEGPS.CO.UK
It came the following day!

Frank
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBL47 wrote:

But I am not impressed with the Garmin, just little things, eg
it doesn't give adequate warning to enter a slip road, it confuses bends with turns, it is dated with road priority and junctions. I was hoping that the update might be more accurate and precise and serve another 2/3 yrs, then bin and get another make.
But still waiting for the disc.......
JBL47

The 'confusing bends with turns' seems to happen when the road changes name around the bend. I get this on a local road a short distance from home. V2008 doesn't fix this. It's only a minor inconvenience IMHO. My nuvi has always given me at least 0.6 mile first warning to junction - and the next turn indicator can show 40miles to exit (as it did on my trip down the M6 to the Outoor Show the other week). How much warning do you need? The distance to the exit on a m/w as displayed by a nuvi is to the actual junction (not the start of the slip road). The motorway has sufficient signs to warn of the exit in addition. Road priority? Even if they (Garmin/TT et al) tried to show this - would you trust it? I wouldn't - it can change with virtually no notice. As has been said in these forums before: a satnav is an AID to navigation - nothing else.
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I travel back up from Cheshire to Scotland i get continue 146 miles that is a little soul destroying.
Especially when I used to do the trip on a Monday morning at 4am

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: