Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My POIs were imported - Why don't they work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My POIs were imported - Why don't they work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikelikegps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: My POIs were imported - Why don't they work? Reply with quote

Good morning

I own the X970 and I need some help.

I am trying to install a list of POIs and so far, I've figured out, that I can create a text file, put it in the exact format as in the instructions, save it as an "asc file". I know the next step is to run the Content Manager, but this does not start until your unit is connected, which makes sense.

The first problem I was having was having my GPS connect to my PC. The one I use the most has Windows Vista, but I also try my other computer with Windows XP.

After numerous attempts, as well as installs and uninstalls, of the disc, I figured out if I plug the USB in and then out, once or twice and wait long enough, it connects.

Now that I've connected, I try to run Content Manager and an error box comes up, first in French, then after I click OK, in English, which says something like "the program had to terminate 80000..." I don't remember exactly. And, again, I've tried everyhting I could think of.

I even tried to use Explorer to move my "asc file" manually from my PC to the "My POIs" folder on my unit, which I was able to do, but does not come up when I look on unit afterwards. I guess POIs do not install any other way but through the Content Manager?

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by mikelikegps on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Posting 3 very similar threads is a bit confusing though, watch out for low flying mods Wink

There is a support article on the VM site about installing under Vista, I assume you have v7 as you don't say. The link to the article is http://tinyurl.com/3buf3p

Hope this helps as a first call, if not I'm afraid you'll have to wait for some Vista savvy person to come along. I think Gee Pee may be able to help as I've seen him mention this.

Good luck
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Content Manager fails when I try to start it Reply with quote

mikelikegps wrote:
Good morning

I own the X970 and I need some help.

I am trying to install a list of POIs and so far, I've figured out, that I can create a text file, put it in the exact format as in the instructions, save it as an "asc file". I know the next step is to run the Content Manager, but this does not start until your unit is connected, which makes sense.

The first problem I was having was having my GPS connect to my PC. The one I use the most has Windows Vista, but I also try my other computer with Windows XP.

After numerous attempts, as well as installs and uninstalls, of the disc, I figured out if I plug the USB in and then out, once or twice and wait long enough, it connects.

Now that I've connected, I try to run Content Manager and an error box comes up, first in French, then after I click OK, in English, which says something like "the program had to terminate 80000..." I don't remember exactly. And, again, I've tried everyhting I could think of.

I even tried to use Explorer to move my "asc file" manually from my PC to the "My POIs" folder on my unit, which I was able to do, but does not come up when I look on unit afterwards. I guess POIs do not install any other way but through the Content Manager?

Any other suggestions?

Mike is quite right, I have been through some of this. And, yes you [b]have to use Content Manager to work with the your X970T.[/b]

The are a couple of points which you should be aware of:-

1. The is two different 'synch' programmes: one for Win XP (MS Active Synch) and another for Vista (Windows Mobile Device Centre).
2. When you connect your device to two different machines, it seems that when you go back to machine No1 it is reluctant to connect. I don't know if I made a mistake but I had registered my device on my desktop and then to use it on my laptop (Vista) I had again to go through the registration process again. When I returned later to the PC, it would not recognise it!

Another quirk is that the device seems only to recognise the USB port that I originally used to register the device and not any other. I cannot rationalise that -- seems stupid, but there you are!

I only use the POIs - safety camera's provided by VM as I have another device which I use only for the UK, my trusty Navman. The VM POIs (Safety cams and others) are very easy to install. Just select them from the list, click ADD and after you have been through the whole list that you wish to install, make sure you go to the end of the entire list then update - do not leave until you get the OK.

Graham
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry, I realised that I have not really answered your post.

You have already found out that you must use the Content Manager to communicate with your X970.

If you have a machine with WinXP on it, for preference use that one. Vista can be a bit touchy. Sad I assume you have used Content Manager to register the device Question
Try this: Ensure there are no running programmes on your PC. Connect your VM X970 to the USB and the PC and switch it on. Click on Content Manager to open it. Sit back and wait - go for a cuppa. When you are connected, the X970 will have a picture of a SD card-arrow-and a Monitor with a large red X (it means do not remove SD card).
Come back when you can get a connection (or not). It might be necessary to uninstall/reinstall Content Manager if (its possible) it has become corrupted Idea
Graham
ivecoviv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find that your POI's are entred under My Saved Addresses.
The POI section seem to be reserved for Vm's entrys
Viv
mikelikegps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Thank you - this is the latest Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions. This is where I am now: I am able to connect after playing around plugging, unplugging, one USB, then another (all on the Vista laptop), eventually it connects, with the Mobile Device.

Also, I was able to import my created POI file that I saved as an asc file, and it was successful and it automatically turned into a ppi file.

But... I cannot seem to utilize my pois even though they are listed under My ViaMichelin , My Pois...

VM is taking forever to get me an answer. Anybody have an idea what I am still missing?

Thanks!

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: