Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A77 Speed Limit Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A77 Speed Limit Change
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJA416
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: A77 Speed Limit Change Reply with quote

A section of the A77, between Ayr and Kilmarnock (Scotland) will have its speed limit reduced from Monday 10 March to a 50mph limit. This is in an effort to reduce accidents along this stretch of road - and there have been a few over the years.

The new 50mph limit will apply north and southbound from just south of the Dutch House roundabout (A78 junction) to north of Bogend Toll (Tarbolton Road). The new speed limit signs are in place, but still covered up.

There are 3 sets of SPECS cameras in this section covering both north and southbound and another set have just been installed south of the Dutch House roundabout. This will enable this entire section of road to be covered by the SPECS cameras.

The A77 is a busy section of road (34,000 vehicles a day according to the local paper) and is the main link between Ayrshire and the M77/M8, Glasgow.

I have already added the two new specs cameras to the database and they show as purple at the moment (I assume waiting for verification, but I can verify them !!). Camera numbers 46145 and 46146.

For the info of all who use this road Exclamation

Question My question.....do you wish me to go into the database and record the change in speed limit for the now 8 cameras covering this section. I have all the camera numbers from the map but the new limit does not take effect until 10 March. Will I record this in the comments section so that the next release of the database can be amended with the new limit on that date Question
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: A77 Speed Limit Change Reply with quote

BJA416 wrote:
I have already added the two new specs cameras to the database and they show as purple at the moment (I assume waiting for verification, but I can verify them !!). Camera numbers 46145 and 46146.

For the info of all who use this road Exclamation

Question My question.....do you wish me to go into the database and record the change in speed limit for the now 8 cameras covering this section. I have all the camera numbers from the map but the new limit does not take effect until 10 March. Will I record this in the comments section so that the next release of the database can be amended with the new limit on that date Question

Thank you very much for this. Thumbs Up

Firstly, if you can see cameras 46145 and 46146 as coloured squares on the database map, it means they got there due to your submission, are awaiting verification and when verified could well award you a free lifetime membership (assuming you are a subscribed member). Congratulations in anticipation. The only people who can see new cameras before they get accepted as live cameras are the likes of me (Staff, Moderators and Verifiers) plus the one and only person who submits them. You can't verify them yourself, I'm afraid - only one of us high and mighty bigwigs can do that. Twisted Evil But we do have a high and mighty bigwig not far from there, who is very keen and so with luck, your submissions won't have to wait too long if he's anywhere around there in the near future.

For the others and speed limit changes for a wholesale bunch like this, you have the choice of using the camera submission page - all you need do for each one is enter the camera ID number and type (e.g. Specs), choose the "Change" entry, then type details in the comments box e.g. "Speed limit changing permanently to 50mph on and from 10th March 2008". But it does mean one page completion for each camera.

If that's a bit long-winded to do many identical entries, you could instead send an email to camerasATpocketgpsworld.com (with @ instead of AT of course) giving a list of all the cameras affected and describing the change just as you have above. I'm sorry we can't simply take the submissions from this post of yours, but there's a cute system which semi-automates the process and the post doesn't do the business unfortunately.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack the post (a bit). I can see a Black square where I submitted a camera. Is that the same as a "coloured" square that you mentioned above?

Alan
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
Sorry to hijack the post (a bit). I can see a Black square where I submitted a camera. Is that the same as a "coloured" square that you mentioned above?

Alan
Can you give us a map reference as I've looked up and down the A77 and I don't see any black squares. However, in general, if you click on the icon, the camera details are displayed just below the map.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question was really for Dennis (or another PGW moderator). According to the second post, you see a square for any camera which you have reported but has not been accepted yet. I was just wondering if the colour was significant.

Alan
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:

Alan

Is this cam on the A77? because I can't see one either from a quick look.
Tell us the Cam ID or Lat/Long would be good
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys... are you all forgetting this text from above the map?
Quote:
NEW: The submission map below now shows active sites, pending mobile sites and your own submissions that have been provisionally included (i.e. not every submission)

Alan... black is the "colour" of the square for a fixed camera submission.
Other colours are:
red: redlight
red/black: redspeed
light blue (aqua): specs
medium blue: monitron
dark blue: truvelo
light blue (aqua): safe-t-cam
green: temp
purple: mobile
orange: remove
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification

Alan
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
guys... are you all forgetting this text from above the map?
Quote:
NEW: The submission map below now shows active sites, pending mobile sites and your own submissions that have been provisionally included (i.e. not every submission)

Alan... black is the "colour" of the square for a fixed camera submission.
Other colours are:
red: redlight
red/black: redspeed
light blue (aqua): specs
medium blue: monitron
dark blue: truvelo
light blue (aqua): safe-t-cam
green: temp
purple: mobile
orange: remove

Er Andy - I think he means an INVERTED Black Square... As in predominantly coloured Black, rather than bordered black.

As I have one myself like this for a MOBILE camera site I submitted a couple of weeks back.

And I was given to assume that it means a NOT-YET-VERIFIED submission, that's all???

Try:

54.9553182 by -1.6746425

For the example of the one that I submitted, not yet verified, which is a combined ANPR/Mobile Camera Hard Stand area on the side of the A1 Trunk Road, as per the SpeedSafe (formerly Northumbria Safety Camera Partnership)/Local Authorities/H.A. joint plan for the A1 scheme (a dedicated range of sites along the A1 that can be used for both ANPR police vehicles, and mobile camera speed vans).

Mine has not yet been verified, so I have not yet been credited (as I suspect I am more than likely to be the actual first submitter for this site, for reasons best kept to me for now *Laughing Out Loud*).

If you CAN'T see any image on the map at those co-ordinates, it means they are only visible to the submitter - but as verifier, you might know better about how this works.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shad
'Your' cam also shows up to a verifier as a white cam on a black background with a white square border. The speed is shown in Green. It is almost an inverse of the mobile on the slip road about 300 yards to the east of 'your' cam under the bridge.
I am certain that the 'rules' say that if you can see a pmobile, it is 'yours' as no one else can see it apart from the PGPSW team et al.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to see what you see, because I'm seeing the verifiers' data and if I log out I cannot see the map at all.

But the square I meant was a black edge with black cross-hairs.
_ _
l_l_l
l_l_l
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Shad
'Your' cam also shows up to a verifier as a white cam on a black background with a white square border. The speed is shown in Green. It is almost an inverse of the mobile on the slip road about 300 yards to the east of 'your' cam under the bridge.
I am certain that the 'rules' say that if you can see a pmobile, it is 'yours' as no one else can see it apart from the PGPSW team et al.

Thanks M8TJT,

That's what I thought.

Now all I need to is hopefully get it verified soon, to qualify for the Free Subscription, but I trust this is only a matter of time, as the first two similar sites slightly further south on the A1, are already verified and confirmed in the Camera Database / On the map.

Mine is just the next site to rollout, so should hopefully be confirmed soon once a Verifier can drive past and see it for themselves.

@ Andy, yeah Andy mate, M8TJT has it correct... For those users submitting, until it is verified, the user themselves can see their submission on the map.

Imagine a normal map (that is our Google Submission Map here, not TT), with a Mobile symbol on it...

Picture that, but all in black, with a white tripod instead.

That's what we see. Albeit I would guess the symbol itself would be different dependant upon what type of camera it is being reported.

And this is what I think the other poster was alluding to mate.

Thanks both of you, for the info.

Hopefully my site will get verified soon, so that I can also join the club and prove that accreditation really does happen for real, as many have already posted to say, on here.

Cheers all.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Try:
54.9553182 by -1.6746425

At this location I, a humble subscriber, can see a pMobile 70 icon (one of these but with a 70 in the bottom right corner). (Is it really that close to the bridge or is this enough distance away to stop drivers on Hollingside Rd getting an "on route" warning?)

As unverified mobiles are included in the standard download, they show on the map for everyone (or so I thought). This is different to unverified "fixed location" cameras that can only be seen by the submitter, verifiers and the team.

Isn't it time a key index of the possible icons seen by users is included on the map page (even as a expand box)?
Brodit ProClip mount
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
Try:
54.9553182 by -1.6746425

At this location I, a humble subscriber, can see a pMobile 70 icon (one of these but with a 70 in the bottom right corner). (Is it really that close to the bridge or is this enough distance away to stop drivers on Hollingside Rd getting an "on route" warning?)

It's a hard stand ON the A1 itself, nothing to do with the bridge above it, but to be fair, I think I have located it a tad close to the bridge - it is a fraction before it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Try:

54.9553182 by -1.6746425

For the example of the one that I submitted, not yet verified, which is a combined ANPR/Mobile Camera Hard Stand area on the side of the A1 Trunk Road, as per the SpeedSafe (formerly Northumbria Safety Camera Partnership)/Local Authorities/H.A. joint plan for the A1 scheme (a dedicated range of sites along the A1 that can be used for both ANPR police vehicles, and mobile camera speed vans).

Are you saying you DIDN'T see a mobile camera operating at this location? You've submitted it on the basis of "information received" or researched? For example

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: