Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nuvi 710 or 760
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nuvi 710 or 760

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnic6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: nuvi 710 or 760 Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am considering getting a nuvi 710 or 760 as they can store saved "routes".

A couple of questions:-

I prefer to make up routes on the computer, will routes made on City Navigator 7, tied to a StreetPilot III be able to be downloaded to and work with the nuvi?

If not, can you get a version of the nuvi maps to work with mapsource on the PC at a "sensible" price. Garmin seem to be talking around £120 for the mapsource disc Sad which seems a bit over the top! I'm quite surprised the computer version of the maps is not included.

I have also looked at the TomTom 720, but as far as I can see it can not store saved routes. If it can will someone please enlighten me?

Cheers

Bob
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: nuvi 710 or 760 Reply with quote

bobnic6 wrote:

I prefer to make up routes on the computer, will routes made on City Navigator 7, tied to a StreetPilot III be able to be downloaded to and work with the nuvi?

I have heard that if the map products are not the same, then the results are not always as expected. I don't own a unit with this capability, so don't actually know - but I would have thought it would only be a problem if the map versions were the other way round...ie if the PC route referred to roads that the unit didn't know about.

BTW - apparently, if you rename the .gpx file that Mapsource copies down, you can far exceed the 10 pre-defined routes that the Nüvi 7xx advertises. You just have to access them in batches of 10, from individual files. It's not known if this is a bug or a feature!

Quote:
If not, can you get a version of the nuvi maps to work with mapsource on the PC at a "sensible" price.

A call to Garmin is probably in order. The Americans have always been able to get a copy, just by asking, whereas we are told "you don't need it". However, there is a case for the Nüvi 7xx needing it! (Not much point having downloadable routes, if you've nowhere to download them from!)
bobnic6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: nuvi 710 or 760 Reply with quote

Well! I spoke to Garmin UK and to get the mapping DVD for UK/Europe would be some £140 Rolling Eyes so that looks like a non-starter. Apparently people do not want to create routes on the computer and download them - Garmin.

Bob

PhilHornby wrote:
bobnic6 wrote:

I have heard that if the map products are not the same, then the results are not always as expected. I don't own a unit with this capability, so don't actually know - but I would have thought it would only be a problem if the map versions were the other way round...ie if the PC route referred to roads that the unit didn't know about.

BTW - apparently, if you rename the .gpx file that Mapsource copies down, you can far exceed the 10 pre-defined routes that the Nüvi 7xx advertises. You just have to access them in batches of 10, from individual files. It's not known if this is a bug or a feature!

Quote:
If not, can you get a version of the nuvi maps to work with mapsource on the PC at a "sensible" price.

A call to Garmin is probably in order. The Americans have always been able to get a copy, just by asking, whereas we are told "you don't need it". However, there is a case for the Nüvi 7xx needing it! (Not much point having downloadable routes, if you've nowhere to download them from!)
Rolling Eyes
missing_user

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy Metroguide for the PC as your maps are identical!
£12 on eBay!
Remember routes constructed on any PC and transferred to any Garmin unit will contain the Start/Via Points/Finish. The Units then work out the route depending on the 'options' set within the unit!!!!!
bobnic6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: nuvi 710 or 760 Reply with quote

Hi Phil

PhilHornby wrote:

Can you expand on that please? For example what would the .gpx file be called?

If you have more of these "route" files, do they show up in the nuvi's menu?

My N760 arrived this morning and is now charging.

Also, I've seen references to backing up the nuvi to a computer file, is that simply a case of copying everything from the nuvi to the computer? are there any hidden files on the nuvi?

Cheers

Bob
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: nuvi 710 or 760 Reply with quote

bobnic6 wrote:
PhilHornby wrote:

BTW - apparently, if you rename the .gpx file that Mapsource copies down, you can far exceed the 10 pre-defined routes that the Nüvi 7xx advertises.

Can you expand on that please? For example what would the .gpx file be called?

Not with any degree of authority Smile

I *think* Mapsource transfers Routes in the same way it transfers Favourites - ie. it creates TEMP.GPX in \Garmin\gpx. But whereas most units delete the file, the 7xx doesn't appear to. (I don't know if this only applies to gpx files containing routes.) By all accounts, there is an 'Import' function to access these routes - ie they are not automatically loaded. If you rename TEMP.gpx to somethingelse.gpx it prevents it being overwritten next time you run Mapsource. I understand the Import routine lets you choose which .gpx file to import the routes from.

Arrow http://POI-Factory.com is probably a good place to look for more information.

Quote:
I've seen references to backing up the nuvi to a computer file, is that simply a case of copying everything from the nuvi to the computer? are there any hidden files on the nuvi?

Yes - plug it in and treat it like flash drive - backup everything (make take hours, depending on size of maps). I don't believe there are any hidden files.

Code:
dir x: /ah /s
is one way to find out!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: