Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Speed Cams over riding PGSW Ones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Speed Cams over riding PGSW Ones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Tom Tom Speed Cams over riding PGSW Ones Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have seen the many threads of users having the problem I am having (After using the search button Very Happy ), I painstakingly set up the speed zoned Cameras all over the UK and Europe (I travel alot) only to have those Censored at Tom Tom remove all the warnings all 73 of them Evil or Very Mad !!!!! Which I hasten to add where typed in spoken warnings as you can do this with the 920.

I understand that if I save the MapSettings.cfg file before I connect to Home to get the mapshare updates I should be OK. One thing I noticed and I dont now if this will help anyone is that it happened after I had downloaded some additional POI's from TT Home such as Travelodge etc Sad .

My other questions are when it does this does it keep activating the TT Speed cameras even though they were switched off. They keep over riding the PGPSW ones I go to the unit it says the TT ones are switched off, but what I have to do is switch them back on so they are not "Greyed Out" then switch them back off again to get them to shut up! Also by saving the MapSettings.cfg file will this negate the changes to the map via the mapshare?

All replies Welcome

SDM197.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few penn'orth of ideas ...
1. Try to use TT Home as infrequently as possible.
2. Whenever possible, try not to use TT Home.

Now, first question may be how many POIs have you loaded? (Did you use the TT ones, or the ones from here?) There is a limit to how many the 720 will handle (and I'm not sure if anyone has been able to tie down how many - it was at first thought to be 300, but I think that's been reconsidered). Count how many files you have with the extension .OV2.

You could completely do away with the TT camera sets. Do a backup of everything (using Windows Explorer), so that you can always re-instate them if you wish, then on your 920 in Windows Explorer, delete all the files for their cameras. There are three files for each camera type, e.g. ...

Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2
Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2.dct
Autovelox_IT_TomTom.ov2.ver

Alternatively, in TT Home menu page 2, Remove items from my device, then select all the cameras.

Either way, you'll know the cameras can't mess you up any more (although I doubt that TT cameras are that clever anyway)!

You must have put in an awful lot of effort to type in all the spoken warnings. Didn't you fancy the ones available from here? I know there's not a lot of Euro ones yet, but I do believe they are under consideration.

MapSettings.cfg will not harm your Mapshare changes - it retains your personal settings, like the warnings, your Favourites and recent destinations etc.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the reply, I have the PGPSW Speed cams for the UK & Europe the speed zoned ones as I like to know the speed restriction of the camera and this seems to be the only way of achieving this. I do alot of driving and if you are in unfamiliar territory and you see a camera you look for a speed limit sign and more often than not there isn't one. The other POI's I have loaded are Shell Garages, Travelodge, and Premier Inn's, and Motorway Exits, thats it, no others 35 OV2 files in total, thats not including the TT ones which bring it to 91! I have now removed the TT ones and I have 80 OV2 Files.

Thanks for the recommendation on the spoken warnings, it is a pain to have to type them all out again!

SDM197.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:
The other POI's I have loaded are Shell Garages, Travelodge, and Premier Inn's, and Motorway Exits, thats it, no others 35 OV2 files in total, thats not including the TT ones which bring it to 91!

Thanks for the recommendation on the spoken warnings, it is a pain to have to type them all out again!

SDM197.

I have to say the spoken warnings from here are worth the annual subscription by themselves!

I can't get my head round your numbers.
35 not counting TT's .... bring it to 91 ??? You said you'd done 73 typed warnings, so I assume 73 PGPSW camera types (OV2s). I can't make any of those figures add up to (as many as, or as few as) 91. The numbers can be relevant, as if you overload with POIs, the device ignores some, without any logic as to which it ignores - it doesn't seem to be unionised (first in, last out - last in, first out) and none of us can suss out which get chosen. Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
without any logic as to which it ignores - it doesn't seem to be unionised (first in, last out - last in, first out) and none of us can suss out which get chosen. Rolling Eyes

Sods Law it will be the ones you need the most. Rolling Eyes
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Sorry I was having a lack of brain storm on the oV2 Files the total is 80 broken down as follows. I have now 73 PGPS Speedcam speedzoned Europe & UK ones, plus Travelodge, Premier Inns, MWay Exits, Shell Garages, GB Pharmacy GB Police Stations I presume these are TomTom as I never put them there plus one called PA7314 which I have no idea what it is any ideas anyone?

SDM197
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB Pharmacy and GB Police Stations are two of the add-on files that TomTom produced in a big hurry when (because of the new "Help Me feature in v7 software) people started to realise how dreadful the POIs were for the UK. They also produced ones for GB Dentists and Doctors, surprised you've not got those too.
You can get them all (plus the guides) HERE

Anyway, I've just posted elsewhere, that if you have v715 maps you don't need those add-on files any more as they have been included in the standard POI categories. so you could delete those two if you are on v715 maps.

As for the PA7314 file, that means you must have corrected the position of a Hotel at some point... Wink

The PAxxxx.ov2 files are any updates you've made to the built-in POIs using Mapshare. The four-digit number relates it to one of the POI categories and 7314 is "Hotel/Motel". I've posted a list of all the codes here if you're interested:
MapShare Codes
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I've posted a list of all the codes here if you're interested:
MapShare Codes

I wonder whether one of the moderators could apply a 'sticky' to the listing of the poi codes, Andy. I know I need to reference it from time to time and I suspect others would find it most useful, too.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "sticky" HERE (but then I can make it sticky myself there! Laughing )
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
wonder whether one of the moderators could apply a 'sticky' to the listing of the poi codes, Andy. I know I need to reference it from time to time and I suspect others would find it most useful, too.

Done.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn (and anyone else). Did you know you can use those codes to MERGE your own POI files with the built in ones?
See this forum topic for details.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
dhn wrote:
wonder whether one of the moderators could apply a 'sticky' to the listing of the poi codes, Andy. I know I need to reference it from time to time and I suspect others would find it most useful, too.

Done.

Clap
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
dhn (and anyone else). Did you know you can use those codes to MERGE your own POI files with the built in ones?
See this forum topic for details.

I remember seeing that post of yours, Andy, and that is one reason I wanted easy access to the poi codes (now accomplished, thanks to you and the kindly mod).

And thanks for all your guidance with all aspects of the software & hardware for the tt units.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: