Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused newbie... Which version ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused newbie... Which version ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loser40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Confused newbie... Which version ? Reply with quote

Hi...

I have a HTC TyTN2 Pocket PC on Vodafone, with Tomtom Navigator 6, & Western Europe maps.

I'm not sure which version of the Safety Camera S/W to D/L.

I was going to download it from here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras&op=SelectPackage (this is the right page - yes?) but I'm offered 3 different versions.

They are; Consolidated Type, Single File, & Speed Zoned !

Which do I download ? ... and will it be a Western European version ??

In short, would someone who understands this process kindly post links and advice :)

TIA.

Regards,

Mark.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the bottom of the initial speed camera page (below the table of supported devices), there's an explanation of each version of the database.

If you want details of UK cameras, download the UK database for your selected option. If you want other european cameras IN ADDITION to UK cameras, then download the European database as well. However, if you don't drive on the continent, then I would argue that it isn't necessary to have the European database.

Also, note that if you decide on the speed-zoned version of the database, you will end up with many POI files which, depending on the TomTom version that you have, use up a significant propotion of your available quota of POIs - particularly if you decide on both UK AND European databases.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, the choice of version is down to your personal preference. Every version of the database has EXACTLY the same cameras in it, they are just divided up into different numbers of sub-sections fo people who want more information about camera type and speed. Also, some machines can only load ONE user file, so they are stuck with the simplest "all-in-one file" version.

On Navigator 6 you are allowed 100 maximum user-POI files.
The fully split up "speed-zoned" version of the database will use up 31 of those (or 24 if you leave off the optional un-confirmed "pMobile" files).
loser40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: So Andy.... Reply with quote

... Which set up would I need to download to have the all singing, all dancig 'best' speed camera alert settings ?

Also, could I install the basic all-in-one version and the bells and whistles version and preference the complete version & have the all in one as a.back up ?

Links and advicefor this newbie much appreciated.

TIA.

Mark.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: So Andy.... Reply with quote

loser40 wrote:
... Which set up would I need to download to have the all singing, all dancig 'best' speed camera alert settings ?

Speedzoned... plus spoken warnings from HERE

Quote:
Also, could I install the basic all-in-one version and the bells and whistles version and preference the complete version & have the all in one as a.back up ?

If you do, you will get two alerts for every camera (unless you set it up NOT to show on the map and NOT to "warn when near").

Some people do this deliberately, in order to get a warning some way away and another when you get nearer. (But it uses up yet more POI categories).

I assume you've seen the help file HERE?
loser40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: PoiEdit Problem... Reply with quote

Hi...

Thanks for all the sound advice previously posted.

Ive just D/L the PoiEdit application and an trying to set it up to auto-update...

...however, when I try configure this application Im having no luck 'cos the 'AutoUpdate Sites & Status' page ( http://www.poiedit.com/sites.htm ) states pocketgpsworld.com site is offline.

Is this a regular thing or a temporary blip ?

I really was hoping I could use this facility as an easy update method !

TIA.

Mark.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POIEdit method of updating POI files on your device is not supported by this web site, what you need to do is download the relevent file set, extract the files from the zip archive and copy/ paste the files to the map folder on your device - Mike
loser40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Not supported ??? Reply with quote

Hi,

Im surprised that you say that it isnt supported 'cos the application has a download link on this site which says otherwise.

Why say it is supported when it isnt... and why cant the site adopt this update method - it would be so much easier.

M.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't supported POIedit for over two years now, it is incapable of functioning with our subscription system which creates files 'on the fly' from a master database.

I wasn't aware any links remained but if you can tell where where you saw it I'll remove it.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I wasn't aware any links remained but if you can tell where where you saw it I'll remove it.
I think he is referring to this -
http://www.poiedit.com/sites.htm

Bottom of page.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey, its hard enough maintaining our site without worrying about others!

I'll send them an email and ask to be removed Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: