Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i an expensive mistake?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i an expensive mistake?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that downloaded quite a treat just have to wait till tomorrow to put it to test. keeping everything crossed that they have ironed out all the bugs with this sp1. hopefully wont have anything bad to report tomorrow about it
fingers crossed chaps!!
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Service Pack Updates Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Service Pack 1 is out today for the full S Series in the UK and also one for the F10 unit

Downloading it as I type... available from the Navman.com website (does not patch from Navdesk - large 145mb file)

I can't seem to find out what the service pack actually fixes/adds. Is there a changelog anywhere reasonable?

TIA

Al.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

Haven't been anywhere to test it yet, will later today and tomorrow but it would appear that the map tap pop-up has been tuned and adjusted to function a little better and re-routing changed

Awaiting a reply on Navman for the actual list - will post when they respond

It installed no problem at all, although you do need your CD as it removes the voice files (it warns you first though!)
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Service Pack 1 is out today for the full S Series in the UK

xtraseller How did you put it in your s90i?
Thanks

P.S Your right about the TMC is much better then the Tom Tom 910

Just be truthful and follow your heart
Life is how you make it

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I'm now a happy Garman Man
abbz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what a disapointment..... system still reboots itself and cant say ive seen any differences with this service pack 1. Does anyone know what changes have actually occurred ?
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbz wrote:
well what a disapointment..... system still reboots itself and cant say ive seen any differences with this service pack 1. Does anyone know what changes have actually occurred ?

Supposedly route calculation times are faster. No official word on any other changes, though.

--

Cheers,

Dave
jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi abbz

Same problem of rebooting. Navman support said it would be fixed. I installed no problem on Sunday. Today I drove from SE London to Birmingham and back, a total of about 320 miles and 5+ hours on the road. Worked fine up to 6 minutes from home when it rebooted.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

So here is what it gives us...

Summary

This service pack will deliver the following changes, enhancements and fixes:

Continental routing enhancement for F10 and S30 users
On-screen prompt and translation enhancements
Improved routing for the state of Queensland, Australia
Route calculation and route guidance bug fixes
Subscription enhancements
Expanded speed camera coverage for Italy, Andorra and Portugal.
Minor bug fixes
General Improvements and Enhancements

Continental routing enhancement for F10 and S30 users
Continental routing has been enabled, allowing F10 and S30 users to travel across multiple countries within a continent.

On-screen prompt and translation enhancements
Various on-screen prompts and translations have been rewritten to make them more user friendly.

Improved routing for the state of Queensland, Australia
Map routing for the state of Queensland has been improved enabling users to travel with accurate route and reroute calculation.

Route calculation and route guidance bug fixes
Route calculation and route guidance bug fixes have been made.

Subscription enhancements
Subscription enhancements have been made to NavDesk to handle duplicate safety cameras and custom POIs.
The new types of safety cameras include:
Safety cameras (mobile)
Safety cameras (average)
Red Light cameras

Expanded speed camera coverage for Italy, Andorra and Portugal
Speed camera information is now available for Italy, Andorra and Portugal.

Minor bug fixes
Minor bug fixes have been made to the software.

...so worth an update I guess
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Updates Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
So here is what it gives us...

[snip]
...so worth an update I guess

Thanks xtra. Appreciated. I installed it a couple of days ago, the bluetooth seems to work much better now - I had to re-pair the phone every time i used it.

We all know that local knowledge is better than any sat nav but I woudl kill for the tomtom's compass on my Navman that showed me in which direction my destination was and how far. I really really miss it, expecially going through london when the small roads are sometimes the best option. The direction I'm going thing is pretty much useless to me.

As you can guess I'm an ex-tomtom user!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Preference Reply with quote

alexpj it is the same for us all, that we all have little bits from every gadget that we would like to see in another, and the crazy thing is these things are often the simple items and you cannot see why a manufacture doesn't just steel the idea from another and throw it in to their pot with their new innovative ideas also, providing a sure-fire winner. Too simple, I guess

Overall though my Navman S series is the best all rounded sat nav experience I've had so far, just where is that lane advisor from my Navigon unit...!
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

TMC is best I've used, often not requiring a ariel lead even down here in South Wales!

After I wrote that review - as I say, Amazon won't allow me to update it - I realised that I'd overlooked something blindingly obvious: NavMan's TMC implementation doesn't include Projected Delay information which, for many situations, almost completely undermines the point of having TMC. Other manufacturers include it - why not NavMan?

This is a TMC Pro feature and requires paying extra for the data. How much more would you pay for your TMC receiver to have that feature?
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Review Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
DaveMatthews wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

TMC is best I've used, often not requiring a ariel lead even down here in South Wales!

After I wrote that review - as I say, Amazon won't allow me to update it - I realised that I'd overlooked something blindingly obvious: NavMan's TMC implementation doesn't include Projected Delay information which, for many situations, almost completely undermines the point of having TMC. Other manufacturers include it - why not NavMan?

This is a TMC Pro feature and requires paying extra for the data. How much more would you pay for your TMC receiver to have that feature?

The S90i is the top-of-the-range model, supposedly competing with the likes of TomTom whose traffic implementation*does* include this info...

How much extra would I have been prepared to pay for it? About £50, I think... which would have meant it would have cost me £300 in total... which, by a strange coincidence, is exactly what the original retail price was. What with all its other problems, is it any wonder prices on this unit are in freefall?

Just out of interest, what other features are available with TMC Pro that we're not getting with NavMan?

--

Cheers

Dave
jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update.. Service pack did not cure rebooting issue neither did re installation of software. I went to Devon last week, it rebooted nine times.

Now, to be fair to Navman support they agreed to take the unit back for repair on Monday this week, on Tuesday I received the prepaid envelope and jiffy back. They say it will be returned within 10 working days.

Lets see if the workshop are as efficient as the help desk.
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jassythedog wrote:
Just a quick update.. Service pack did not cure rebooting issue neither did re installation of software. I went to Devon last week, it rebooted nine times.

Now, to be fair to Navman support they agreed to take the unit back for repair on Monday this week, on Tuesday I received the prepaid envelope and jiffy back. They say it will be returned within 10 working days.

Lets see if the workshop are as efficient as the help desk.

It's very bizarre for me replying to your message I'm now experiencing the same issues as you:
I went to Devon last week too!
And my S90i is now starting to reboot regularly since the SP; it didn't before.

I suppose we shouldn't be that surprised about the rebooting - it's Windows after all Laughing (joking all you windows fanboys). TomTom is Linux based.

Is there a SP2 in the works? (not kidding)
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Service Pack 2 Reply with quote

Don't know about Service Pack 2 but SmartST 2008 2nd Edition with Navman Connect and 2007.10 mapping (current 2007.4) is due as an option in April / May for existing customers, and all looks for release on time, when they launch the new S 30 3D and S 50 3D

So that may be the answer to any unhappy customers with SP1

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: