Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i an expensive mistake?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i an expensive mistake?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

I agree - and it really doesn't effect me, but it seems (on PGPSW at least) they take quite a bit of flack for it, so might as well get it fixed to keep everyone happy! Cannot be that difficult?!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Software is made up of a series of requirements, Problems with software are either the requirements do not match the customer requirements, or it is implemented incorrectly and does not meet the requirements.

TheM has expressed the view that because it performs to the Navmans requirement, it is not a problem, which is, strictly speaking, correct; it is not a problem for Navman, but is is for the Customers. This disconnect between Customers and Software development houses historically leads to the colapse of a software development house, as customers choose other software provideres.

Looking at the other side, when a software provider meets Customer Requirements, you histoically end up with large monopolies.

So is Navman the same as Netscape was, and Tomtom the Google? Oh - thats right,, TT and Google are in bed tegether already, so where does that leave Navman.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Software is made up of a series of requirements, Problems with software are either the requirements do not match the customer requirements, or it is implemented incorrectly and does not meet the requirements.

In theory this shouldn't happen because any company that wanted its products to be a success would invite a group of potential customers to carry out trialling a good six months before launch. Some aspects of the S-series are so poorly thought out that I can only conclude that in a rush to get the range to market, either this didn't happen or NavMan simply ignored the feedback.

robertn wrote:

TheM has expressed the view that because it performs to the Navmans requirement, it is not a problem, which is, strictly speaking, correct;

You mean they wanted it to be cr*p? Exclamation Question

robertn wrote:

it is not a problem for Navman, but is is for the Customers. This disconnect between Customers and Software development houses historically leads to the colapse of a software development house, as customers choose other software provideres.

Quite right, too. As far as I'm concerned the upcoming Service Pack is NavMan's chance to address all the problems of the S-series. If they don't deliver, I'm off to TomTom or Navigon. This would be a shame because with just a few, simple software improvements the S-series has the potential to be the best SatNav system on the market.

robertn wrote:

Looking at the other side, when a software provider meets Customer Requirements, you histoically end up with large monopolies.

[/quote]

Well that also depends on how well you market the product. (I'm amazed Navigon haven't been bought up yet - generally great products but abysmal Customer Service.)

robertn wrote:

So is Navman the same as Netscape was, and Tomtom the Google? Oh - thats right,, TT and Google are in bed tegether already, so where does that leave Navman.

I think they'll survive because the S-series seems to be an unfortunate "blip" on an otherwise pretty good reputation. I suspect the current range is an almost-working "prototype" for the range that will succeed it.

--

Cheers,

Dave
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
TheM has expressed the view that because it performs to the Navmans requirement, it is not a problem,

Not quite -- I just said that since Desktop's warning suggests that this limit is known and recognized, it cannot be called a bug. You can call it a problem, though.

robertn wrote:
which is, strictly speaking, correct; it is not a problem for Navman, but is is for the Customers. This disconnect between Customers and Software development houses historically leads to the colapse of a software development house, as customers choose other software provideres.

Yes and no. This problem affects only a limited number of customers -- if that limited number was responsible for most of the income than it certainly would be a problem that can collapse a company. However, if that part brings in money in proportion to their number, then problem for survival of the company depends on the size of that fraction.

PND software is traditionally full of compromises -- if you build address search capabilities that work well in Europe, experience will be horrible for US users, and vice versa. You can, of course, support both but first you need to know about differences. If you are located on one side of the globe than you may do your best to understand the needs of the people on the other side and still miss a few things that may be obvious to them but would never occur to you. The way you eventually find out about the problem is when someone starts complaining about it.

Anywhere else in the world 12k POIs is a huge amount -- it's hardly conceivable that any individual user would ever need that many. It's not unreasonable from Navman to assume that anything above that is in the commercial domain and that whoever needs that many can talk to them directly to have data converted to the format subscription service uses. And this is exactly the case -- PGPSW database is not free, it is paid for service. PGPSW could talk to Navman about having their database converted so that they can offer service to their subscribers on par with Navman's subscription service (speed sensitivity and direction awareness -- if PGPSW has that sort of data in their database) or split their data into parcels to cover different locations, since it is their product that is causing this issue to their subscribers.

You may point out that other products support more than 12k easily, and that older Navman's products used to do that as well -- but, again, this is an issue that affects ONLY UK PGPSW database subscribers. It is not uncommon for new edition of PC OS to have compatibility issues with older editions of application software targeted at previous edition of that OS -- application software makers than work with OS maker to resolve the issue and either make a patch for their software or release a new version. Following that logic, shouldn't PGPSW work with Navman to resolve the issue or adjust their product to work with Navman's units?

I'm not saying that Navman shouldn't do something about it, just that there are other options.
jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started this thread and was sceptical about performing a cold reset to fix the intermittent rebooting. I was correct to be sceptical it happened again last night, twice. Maybe the service pack will address this!

I wont hold my breath though and I think I was correct also to think that this was an expensive mistake.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jassythedog wrote:
[...] fix the intermittent rebooting. I was correct to be sceptical it happened again last night, twice. Maybe the service pack will address this!

What were you doing when the reset happened?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...throwing it out the window..... Very Happy
jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One was pulling out of a service station after getting diesel, so the unit had been sitting in the cradle for a short period not moving, and one was simply driving and got to a junction then - crash.

It rebooted and once I accepted that PIA message Safety Agreement, it recalculated the route and verything worked fine again, trouble was I had travelled a mile or so by then.

I reported this to Navman at 7am this morning by e-mail and right now at 8pm no response. Sad
jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Robert. Made me smile.
jassythedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Service Pack for S90i Reply with quote

This from Navman support today.

I can inform you that the Service Pack will solve the problem of rebooting the unit.
I can also comfirm that the Service Pack will come out next week.
I hope that this will help you.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Navman Customer Support Team

No other info on bug fixes available as yet Very Happy
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Service Pack for S90i Reply with quote

jassythedog wrote:
Navman Customer Support Team

The most underworked people in the world?

jassythedog wrote:
the Service Pack will solve the problem of rebooting the unit.

Huh? I don't have a problem rebooting mine. I hold the button down for a few seconds and it reboots - what's the problem? They're now fixing problems that don't exist!?!

Thanks, anyway, Jassy.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Service Pack 1 Reply with quote

Navman have confirmed the UK Service Pack 1 for the S Series will be on their website this Wednesday 13th February 2008
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: I have no problem Reply with quote

I have just got my s90i & used it. I must admit I not had a problem with it. Actually I prefer it to the Tom Tom Not Worthy .
Cheers

Just be truthful and follow your heart
Life is how you make it

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I'm now a happy Garman Man
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Problems Reply with quote

You are right, in normal use there isn't any major flaws with the unit, and in my opinion also, it out performs my Garmin Nuvi, TomTom and Navigon 7110 units - the service pack will hopefully just improve things further and iron out any niggles some are having
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Service Pack Updates Reply with quote

Service Pack 1 is out today for the full S Series in the UK and also one for the F10 unit

Downloading it as I type... available from the Navman.com website (does not patch from Navdesk - large 145mb file)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: