Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advertising the PocketGPSWorld.com Safety Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advertising the PocketGPSWorld.com Safety Camera Database
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
After PayPal and the VAT man take their cut

At the risk of making a fool of myself (again), could there be any benefit from the addition of other types of payment?

Bank transfer?

Direct Debit?

Cut out the middleman and then more from each subscription could possibly go to PGPSW.

If people use their PGPSW ID as the reference, it's possible to keep track of subscriptions.

Now I'm going to crawl back into my hole and await any response from a safe distance.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A valid Question but banks won't entertain Direct Debits for this kind of service as there is no physical product, they have a particular aversion to electronic media. Bank transfer is OK but tracking it is the hard part, we don't get any notification so would have to keep checking the account and manually cross referencing against members, a royal PITA!

We do accept cheque/PO payments but again we get them sent with no details on them apart from the name on the cheque, no address, no user-name etc. If we can find a user account with that name we can sometime track them, on other occasions we've had to hold on and wait fort he payee to contact us asking why he hasn't been activated.

What we really need now is to ramp up the user base and get the product known in a wider circle. We can't afford adverts in Top Gear etc but know we have an excellent product that would be of benefit to many more users than we have currently. we want to ramp up the user-base to give us the freedom to add more features, invest in custom update apps for platforms, over the air updates for those devices that could make use of the feature etc. Perhaps even employ an assistant for MaFt who works tirelessly on the database itself!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
What we really need now is to ramp up the user base and get the product known in a wider circle. We can't afford adverts in Top Gear etc but know we have an excellent product that would be of benefit to many more users than we have currently. we want to ramp up the user-base to give us the freedom to add more features, invest in custom update apps for platforms, over the air updates for those devices that could make use of the feature etc. Perhaps even employ an assistant for MaFt who works tirelessly on the database itself!

I wonder - you've negotiated a PGPSW member discount with Easy Devices, if you had flyers printed would they be prepared to slip them in with goods being shipped to customers? Or could there be another way of distributing flyers cheaply?

Put a notice out in the next newsletter and/or post on the PGPSW home page asking members who have websites to add a link to PGPSW, with the incentive that (at present) member discounts are being considered for referrals. I shall certainly be doing this myself.

What we could really do with is somebody who has an in-depth knowledge of marketing.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that Handtec have an advert on the PGSW site.

I also notice that on the Handtec site, they show where they listed:

Google

Yahoo

MSN

...would it be possible to add PGPSW to this list?[/img]
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you guys have thought of this before but what about sponsors, and I don't mean like the subaru team. More like Navman, Garmin, Handtec sponsoring you.

Sponsorship goes both ways, so you could get onto the manufacturers websites that way.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGPSW wallpapers and screen savers?

Embroidered cases for GPS or laptops?

Non-embroidered merchandise - mugs, golf umbrellas?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally, when I've been to places like PC World, there have been representatives from the likes of HP and Epson demonstrating equipment and giving advice.

With prior arrangement, would it be conceivable for teams of PGPSW members to do something similar at places like Halfords - demonstrating GPS devices and giving impartial advice?

Edited to add: and those members could promote the PGPSW database as they're demonstrating units
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

advertising in motorway services?

Perhaps one or two to start with as a pilot scheme before considering the whole network.

I can't remember, but on the sign up page is there a section asking "where did you hear about PGPSW?"
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
advertising in motorway services?

Perhaps one or two to start with as a pilot scheme before considering the whole network.

I liked that idea too, it's fantastically targetted and the ones in the toilets are always read! The issue is cost, I made enquiries a while back and they wouldn't entertain small sample trials, it was all or nothing and that was very very expensive!
Quote:
I can't remember, but on the sign up page is there a section asking "where did you hear about PGPSW?"

Now that is a good idea, it would give us some useful data, I'll see if we can get this added Smile
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we could do is sponsor DennisN's van and slap a mock-up satellite to it, like the Red Bull cars.

Dennis might feel a little self conscious driving it, but he'll get noticed. Laughing

Back on a more serious note, a flyer in the supplement of the weekend newspapers.

I suspect that advertising in a local newspaper would be cheaper than a national, but then it would have to be multiplied so many times to target the whole population - but this might give an indication of whether something bigger might be worthwhile.

You have already mentioned that Top Gear magazine would be too expensive, but could Auto Trader / Exchange and Mart or A N Other popular purchase be worthy of consideration?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
What we could do is sponsor DennisN's van and slap a mock-up satellite to it, like the Red Bull cars.

Dennis might feel a little self conscious driving it, but he'll get noticed. Laughing

Watch out there! You could well imagine that he'd charge per mile, and based upon the billions of miles he does, that could be costly. Rolling Eyes

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

Watch out there! You could well imagine that he'd charge per mile, and based upon the billions of miles he does, that could be costly. Rolling Eyes

No as costly as if he charged by the deer of peasant Laughing

The question is, would he or the sponsor pay for repairs? Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
You have already mentioned that Top Gear magazine would be too expensive,

We're actively looking at this for a single issue as a trial, if it doesn't work we'll have to cancel Christmas in the PGPS Households as it ain't cheap but I think it's worth a try.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works and that you don't have to cancel Christmas.

...I'm rather disappointed that out of over 213,000 members I can count the number of contributors to this thread on 2 fingers and although I have no marketing background I have the lion's share of posts Crying or Very sad
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I hope it works and that you don't have to cancel Christmas.

...I'm rather disappointed that out of over 213,000 members I can count the number of contributors to this thread on 2 fingers and although I have no marketing background I have the lion's share of posts Crying or Very sad

There might only be two contributors, but you are being watched Surprised

Being in business myself, advertising although a necessary tool to create work, can be a financial killer if not used wisely.
Flyers are good if handled correctly but in my industry we look on one lead in a thousand flyers sent out, that is an awful lot of wasted paper and money to lose, in this case each new lead is only worth £19 (minus the overheads) = “not a lot left” so figures have to be calculated to make it profitable.

Maybe a member who is a printer could offer his/hers services and materials at "cost" to create a cheaper flyer to soften the costs.

Serious thought needs to inserted into these ideas, when I have any sensible to suggest I will throw an idea into the pot, meanwhile I’m watching you - Surprised Thumbs Up
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: