Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Frustrating Routing Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Frustrating Routing Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theopental
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Frustrating Routing Problem Reply with quote

OK what am I doing wrong please?

I have a new etrex Vista HCx and a new copy of memory map

Im totally happy creating routes and transferring them to my Garmin

When I plot a circular route from my house the etrex automatically finds the last point on the route (my back door) and assumes its arrived thus ignoring all of the other points and just stops navigating before its even started

I tried to stop it but Im just flummoxed
I think I found a manual for a less expensive Vista that has an option to look for waypoints in order but I cant find this oon mine

OK so then I tried to be clever
I loaded up a route that starts a mile away from my house and ends in the next street

Annoyingly the unit just finds the nearest waypoint to it, which is again the end of the route, and tells me to go here - not the first waypoint and start of my route

Does this ring any bells please?

Its very annoying to say the least Smile

Theo
DSum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is no help, but - yes - it does ring bells. I used to get this problem with my old basic eTrex, and never really found a reliable way around it, except to miss out the starting point, start the walk, and then start it routing when I was in the vicinity of the first waypoint.

I lost that machine, so I upgraded to a Vista HCx, which I love - except that it had to be replaced because of a fault, and now I've had to send the second one away because it has a different fault. I haven't had a chance to see whether I get your problem with the new eTrex, but it doesn't sound hopeful...
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a circular path you are wanting to follow, the obvious thing to do is have two routes, one from start to midway, the other from midway to finish/start.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a slightly different technique for setting waypoints. I know it's nice to create a circular route but...

Mark the start waypoint 50m up the start path and then you don't have any issues like you describe. Likewise set intermediate waypoints just PAST the obvious points (path junctions etc) in the direction you want to take - this way when you get to the path junction the GPS is still pointing to the waypoint - showing you which direction/path to take. Of course if you are walking off paths (eg across Kinder Scout) then set waypoints where you need them (e.g. the "off the top" path).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: