Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon Michelin Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
In this thread and not in the news section at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

What's wrong with my profile?
Darren wrote:

And where is 'here', perhaps you could update your profile?

Ah I see now, I thought 'over here' referred to your geographical location and not this thread hence my suggestion that you updated your profile with where you lived!

I did in fact mention the Navigon tie up was being mooted in my initial post here but it has since been confirmed.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC - can you provide a link to the press release of 25 Jan you mention please? I've had a look on the Navigon sites but can't see anything in their press section (not even the French one).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reported in GPS Business News here.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the original press release (in German): http://www.navigon.com/site/de/de/press/archive/2008/230
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope they don't forget about the UK market. When I was looking at a new GPS unit it was a choice between a VM x980t or a Navigon. I went with VM as it was a brand name I recognised Laughing

But I have a feeling that a Navigon GPS with some of the VM stuff added would be a dream of a GPS unit Wink Just hope they don't limit themselves to France Rolling Eyes

Any way we can start a petition to ensure the UK and rest of europe get the units too.... and maybe a discount on a migration Wink
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit afraid that Navigon will only use the Michelin brand and guides to promote their devices in France and nothing more. Navigon will never swap their own software nor card material (Navteq) for Michelin stuff

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Let's hope they don't forget about the UK market. When I was looking at a new GPS unit it was a choice between a VM x980t or a Navigon. I went with VM as it was a brand name I recognised Laughing
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Let's hope they don't forget about the UK market. When I was looking at a new GPS unit it was a choice between a VM x980t or a Navigon. I went with VM as it was a brand name I recognised
That's exactly why I finally decided on VM. I have been buying their maps & guides for more years than I dare to remember. Have they shot themselves in the foot with this decision? I don't think the bean counters will give a damn but it with the rise in sales of satnav systems, the old established paper map & guide side of the business is sure to suffer in the long run. It is a great shame that this has come about as I thought there was great future in the the product especially with all the developments that were being made.

Where is Stu by the way? I am trying to contact him re my X980T before I have to give up and throw it away and start all over again, but then if the postings are true and Navigon and not going to do anything more than just put a VM logo on their own devices; I might as well.
Clive06
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drifter47 wrote:

...............Where is Stu by the way? I am trying to contact him re my X980T before I have to give up and throw it away and start all over again, but then if the postings are true and Navigon and not going to do anything more than just put a VM logo on their own devices; I might as well.

If VM have now moved the goal posts from their advertisement ie withdrawn the updates option - would they not have to give you your money back?

Last edited by Clive06 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and I have to say that the removal of this option looks as if someone has decided the cancel the update system. As far as I know, there has been no official announcement of the withdrawl of Michelin from the PND market. It would have made sense to get as many people as possible to sign up for this to offset the costs etc. I have a horrible feeling that we will receive refunds for the sub rather than the updates as and when there is an official announcement.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
Yes and I have to say that the removal of this option looks as if someone has decided the cancel the update system. As far as I know, there has been no official announcement of the withdrawl of Michelin from the PND market. It would have made sense to get as many people as possible to sign up for this to offset the costs etc. I have a horrible feeling that we will receive refunds for the sub rather than the updates as and when there is an official announcement.

Well if this is true then I'm disgusted with VM for keeping customers in the dark. Navigon have a press release on the web and VM are saying nothing at all to anyone.
I get the feeling they just no longer care about existing customers and if the Advantage program has been removed then how on earth do I get my money back? Maybe they are hoping people will simply forget about the map updates owed to them.

Come on VM it's time you actually talked to your customers and let us know what is happening. (Not you Stu. I'm talking an official statement on the VM website) We shouldn't be expected to look on the web and forums for information on what is happening. Twisted Evil
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Advantage programme business does seem to be a straightforward case of VM reneging on their commitments. On Jan 11 Stuart said

Quote:
Anyone who has signed up for upgrade services (2 yrs Maps and Guides) and is worried need not be as these will be valid and new maps and guides will come out to you as expected. You can still sign up for the subscription programme until the end of 2008.

which MUST have been based on internal information.

As well as those who feel betrayed when they have already paid for it, I feel cheated in as much as this was a consideration in my going for VM, and I have held off registering thinking I still had plenty of time from what Stu said! and I had only just got up-to-date maps with the new 980.

I suspect we won't hear anything from Stu until he has some cast-iron news, given that VM have already contradicted him on this particular issue, though I guess he will still be able to help with problems.

Drifter47 - is your problem anything the forum might be able to help with? I'm not sure I would jack in the VM unit yet just because of the sell-out - it still remains one of the superior ones on the market at present (I think) with more flexibility than many, and the maps are at least current at the moment.

Thanks to Darren and EddyDC for their press release links by the way.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about the Advantage program. As someone has already said all links to the Advantage program have been removed so they are clearly not allowing anymore people to sign up, but what about the people who are already signed up.

At the moment VM have left us in the dark over everything. If they are not careful the handling of this will hurt the overal brand as ViaMichelin and Michelin are no longer on my list of top brands and I would think twice about buying 'any' products from them in future. Not because they have dropped the PND market but because they are not being open and honest of what is happening.

I can only assume that Stu (deepfour) has been let go as he's not posted any updates on what is happening.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Stu is still there but has his hands tied until he is officially let go Wink
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Drifter47 - is your problem anything the forum might be able to help with? I'm not sure I would jack in the VM unit yet just because of the sell-out - it still remains one of the superior ones on the market at present (I think) with more flexibility than many, and the maps are at least current at the moment.

Dear BigPerk, many thanks for the suggestion but I think my device is beyond any help. It is a tale of woe (what was that from Up Pompeii – woe, woe, thrice time’s woe?) and all probably comes about with me fiddling with things that I should not have.

Before I had the PND I used the VM website to plan journeys into MyViaMichelin part of their website. Then I got the X980T and set it all up, contact manager included, and then registered it with VM. Somewhere in the process I think I stupidly registered in another name (just what is a pseudo name VM?) and it went downhill after that. The PND worked perfectly but the VM website page would not download to the browser page any maps.

Because I thought it was Michelin’s use of cookies and Active X & JavaScript etc in my PC and after weeks of frustration of trying to get some help from customer services, I DELETED all the VM files on my PC to start afresh – WRONG that just compounded the problems. PC has now been restored back to ‘factory settings’. Stu kindly looked at the PND before all this business of them leaving the market took place and I thought everything was okay. Unfortunately I did not have a version 7 disc so a mate copied his but it was not satisfactory. I have pushed and clicked every button available. Have made hard reboots and soft reboots and now I have a miserable looking PND which before this fiddling I could still partially use.

Even with the updated software, it is still not going to help me as I think I need to go right back to when I first opened the box and start all over again. And then update to the latest download available on the VM site and then hope that the promised v7 update will arrive. BUT before all that VM Customer Services have got to find my previously registered usernames etc and delete them from their system as the registration process is telling me that the email address is being used by some else, yes ME!

I said it was tale of woe, but what the heck, do I care? It will probably end up in the bin if it don’t get fixed but I not going worry too much about it as I off to my favourite city (Paris) this week with my wife for a romantic few days and will not be needing a satnav! Wink
Teessider66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Good news? Reply with quote

I have just received my v7 software with the latest cartography from VM through the Aug-Dec 2007 upgrade scheme.

Accompanying the letter was an invitation to join the "Two Years Maps and Guides" offer.

The contact email address is viamichelin8282@custompromo.fr

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: