Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin to Leave PND Market
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greychin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the combining the Red and Green Guides into the 980 was very usefull and should have been pushed harder. That alone will be missed greatly.
Yes Stu lots of companies keep everybody on there toes. Its a very sad fact that quality is not a selling point anymore. As a carpenter is a real struggle to find high quality tools that you can work with and not just use once and throw away. I dont want that and i expect most of the forum dont either.
Michelin only make one map and i wish they had only made one PND and made it the best. Mac's have that policy and have a small market of very loyal followers. But they make money and have fun. Perhaps VM need to think again and stun us all with a high quality niche product. Good for their image of only producing the best?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
The loss of any manufacturer in a market place is sad as in concentrates the market and stops innovation and allows those who dominate the market to control pricing more.

Absolutely, there is nothing good about this.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two year update scheme is excellent which makes it more of a pity that Michelin is pulling out of the market. Having made the mistake of buying a Sony U70T which never got updated by them with new maps (guess which brand I strongly advise against) and then TomTom Navigator for the pocket PC which also seems to be unsurported now, four updates over 2 years for about £70 is a bargin.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was interesting that prices of TomTom, Garmin etc seemed to have dropped since the introduction of the V7.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley wrote:
Sorry - but I think this is GREAT news. The market has clearly decided, and I for one invested time and patience only discovering their mapping product was one of the worst available, with details of POIs and road alignments some five years out of date. Considering Michelin's PAPER maps are without equal anywhere in Europe, their electronic equivalent was a sad excuse and simply a 'me too' approach to fly the flag. I still have memories of arriving in Northern Ireland to find NO roads connecting Belfast and Derry (this was 2004 mapping) yet when you complain you are told that was 'all the information' that was available to them! Yet Garmin and Autoroute managed to have reasonable coverage since 2002.

Sorry about the staff, but with the mapping now in the domain of Navteq and a few others, hopefully VM will simply be just a bad memory.

VM simply purchase the maps from TeleAtlas. How can a major company pulling out of the market be good for anyone, even worse is the prospect the the mapping companies may no longer be independent giving 2 companies major power and control of the GPS market.

Also find it strange you claim the units have 2004 maps when Stu points out the devices were not even available then.

Your entitled to your view, but you seem very slanted against a product you seem to know very little about. Mapping was not the only thing that VM products provided. You can have fantastic maps but rubbish routing in the software.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can have fantastic maps but rubbish routing in the software.

and VM's routing software is IMHO some of the best out there. I have had a number of units in my time (and all the ones with TeleAtlas had the same mapping mistakes) and nothing plots routes better than the VM.

Yes, it can try to send you down the odd narrow lane or on and off a M-way via a slip road on 'Quickest' setting but it is almost faultless on the Recommended setting (which often turned out to be quicker than the 'Quickest' setting in any case Smile)

There are a couple of bugs in the software and I still don't think the menus are as intuitive as they could be (albeit vastly improved over v6) but all in all a nice piece of kit.

Maybe VM with all their maps could go into the mapping business and teach Navteq ad Teleatlas a thing or two.............
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said both Darren and Stu. Uninformed posts like the one above do so much harm by their inaccuracies, that I am glad to see, unusually, people sticking up for a product. It is very easy to find fault and most forum posts are of either the critical or 'here's another error' type of content & praise is rare. Thanks for setting the matter right.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All larger faceless companies would do well to take a few tips from Stuart's operation.

A bit of personal contact goes a long way and helps to make customers feel part of a family and not just a figure on the balance sheet.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren...That was entirely the reason I was on here and I am glad its worked but sorry it wont continue...well Not for VM anyway!!

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu

Could we have some words of wisdom from you re those of us who have purchased in the last few months and as yet have not taken the update option. Should we and if yes should we do it now or later?
greychin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davegthomas wrote:
Stu

Could we have some words of wisdom from you re those of us who have purchased in the last few months and as yet have not taken the update option. Should we and if yes should we do it now or later?

i would echo this. i have the 2 year updates but i have not got the v7 update for my x980t. shal i go ahead? would you say the v7 will be worked on any more or are the programmers being let go as well?

cheers mart
iwishiwasntabuilder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no bad loss i got a 950t as a replacement when some scrote nicked my mio 510e in spain
since then ive had tom tom, garmin, navman, bought another mio 510e of ebay i have to say that the mio is by far the best sat nav i paid 280 euro`s for the via garbage thats the only reason i have not chucked out the window on the a1 on t he way to work. be warned
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Navigon Michelin Reply with quote

Strange that I don't see anything about this over here, but Navigon released a press release on Jan 25th announcing a ViaMichelin-NAVIGON device for Q2. Problem is that it'll be only available in France for the time being.
The question is if this PND will be as good as the navigon devices. I don't see Navigon launch a system that competes with their own.

Last edited by EddyDC on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon Michelin Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Strange that I don't anything about this over here.

And where is 'here', perhaps you could update your profile?
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon Michelin Reply with quote

In this thread and not in the news section at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

What's wrong with my profile?
Darren wrote:

And where is 'here', perhaps you could update your profile?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: