Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 250W Usage questions - re POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

250W Usage questions - re POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: 250W Usage questions - re POI's Reply with quote

Hi,
Have just received a Garmin 250W with Euro maps for christmas and initial testing has shown it to be ok (used Destinator 6 on a PDA before)

Couple of quick (newbie..)questions for the forum please...

1/ The 250W seems to come with a number of pre-defined POI's..Will these be 'lost' when any new POI's are loaded as various posts mention that everything is replaced?? and if so is there any way to save them first??

2/ Is the 257 category limit still an issue ???

2a/ and by category do you mean 257 * csv files ?? or 257 individual entries ??

3/ if it does does this include the built in ones ??

4/ Can you add/update your own roads in (i.e. a new bypass around where I live turns "miss bossy" mad..constantly recalculating until it find a piece of road it knows about.... map says its "City Navigator Europe NT 2008")

5/ Speed cameras - having used the speed database, on the PDA, from here before and wanting to use it again, do I have to get rid of the Garmin one first or do they install together/over each other/conflict with one another ?

6/ anyone had any issues with the Garmin lock or Pin number/location??

Cheers and thanks in advance. (and apologies if these have been asked before - still searching as theres a lot to see!!!)

Regards
PeterSm
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: 250W Usage questions - re POI's Reply with quote

PeterSm wrote:

1/ The 250W seems to come with a number of pre-defined POI's..Will these be 'lost' when any new POI's are loaded as various posts mention that everything is replaced?? and if so is there any way to save them first??

No - there is a separate list of "Custom POI's"

Quote:
4/ Can you add/update your own roads in (i.e. a new bypass around where I live turns "miss bossy" mad..constantly recalculating until it find a piece of road it knows about.... map says its "City Navigator Europe NT 2008")

You can create your own maps....However, creating your own 'routeable' maps, that overlay City Navigator is a fairly major undertaking. Adding something extra, like a map of Alton Towers, is a more realistic proposition Smile

You already have later maps than most of us.
Quote:

5/ Speed cameras - having used the speed database, on the PDA, from here before and wanting to use it again, do I have to get rid of the Garmin one first or do they install together/over each other/conflict with one another ?

No, you don't have to get rid of the Garmin ones - I run both sets, but with different parameters. Garmin's POI Loader creates POI.GPI when run - overwriting any existing file. You can rename POI.GPI to 'somethingelse.GPI' to create multiple 'sets' of POI's. The Garmin Safety Camera alerts are stored in Safety_camera_UnitedKingdom.gpi (or Cyclopsxxxxx.gpi)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 250W Usage questions - re POI's Reply with quote

PeterSm wrote:

2/ Is the 257 category limit still an issue ???

2a/ and by category do you mean 257 * csv files ?? or 257 individual entries ??

3/ if it does does this include the built in ones ??

i wouldn't have thought so - the problems in the other units were ironed out before, i think, the 250w was released. i've not seen any 200/250/250w users complaining since they were released.

the limit was the number of bitmaps (so we discovered later) but basically the number of poi categories as opposed to lines in a poi file. and no, it did not include the built in ones as these are in the map data itself

MaFt
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you....

Sorry just a couple of follow ups if I can be be so bold.....

When dealing with all these POIs would you recommend spending time grouping into sub folders with a few related CSV's and loading that way or just throw the lot of CSV's at the box ??

the Garmin CSV caters for a 4th set of values. Do you know apart from pestering providers or checking each one if there is anything that can translate -1234,51.4444,starbucks to say -1234,51.4444,starbucks,Watford (i.e. tell me -1234,51,444 is Watford)??
I know you can load the file, find the poi, show the map and edit but any shortcuts recommended??

Got a subscription and downloaded the Speed cameras and very useful it is too...again re 4th column, does it affect the T&C's of use if I modify (for my own use of course) to add data into the text field ??

Cheers..
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterSm wrote:

the Garmin CSV caters for a 4th set of values. Do you know apart from pestering providers or checking each one if there is anything that can translate -1234,51.4444,starbucks to say -1234,51.4444,starbucks,Watford (i.e. tell me -1234,51,444 is Watford)??

it would need editing manually in excel / notepad etc. BUT the 4th column data only shows up when you have selected the actual poi. eg - where to / extras / custom pois / starbuck / select the relevent poi THEN it will say starbucks and 'watford' underneath it. if you include the name in the 3rd column then you can see this is the initial search and use 4th column for address,phone number, opening times etc?

PeterSm wrote:

Got a subscription and downloaded the Speed cameras and very useful it is too...again re 4th column, does it affect the T&C's of use if I modify (for my own use of course) to add data into the text field ??

not a problem but there's around 13,000 cameras there Wink also, you would have to redo this for every release.

mind me asking what info you were wanting in it?

MaFt
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt,

Many thanks for the reply....

No specific reason. I travel a bit so just wanted to know if I could add things such that this camera is in a, that camera was in b , its on the A5,A4148,hidden behind a tree, over a bridge, at the bottom of steep hill, this one got me last time! etc etc...I'm sure I must pass most of them in my travels at work!!

As per the initial question I tend to look at where I'm going first..(hence instead of a list of Starbucks I could goto Watford and see a list of whats there etc) and thought this may help..I know theres the Near facility but trying to do something different and still getting used to the Garmin.!!

I was also looking at keeping some data inside database tables and then merging when updates arrive so that I could try and keep/maintain an offline record but seems like to much work now.....

Cheers....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: