Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - urgent help needed with tomtom720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

urgent help needed with tomtom720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddyt0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: urgent help needed with tomtom720 Reply with quote

I have just got a tomtom 720 and want to download and install some of the POIs from this site,downloading seems quite simple but how do i unzip them and get them on the 720 which unlike my old 710 does not have an SD Card!
If anyone can help can they do it in a step by step manner because i really am that stupid!!
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i see you have downloaded the files so what to do now is right click on the zipped file and select extract all which brings up a wizard and then click next/finish and it will show you a new folder. After that open the folder and you will see the contents you selected. Then you select all the icons and then right click them and select copy. Make sure your TT is connected but CLOSE TT Home as you will not need it. Open up your TT In windows then open your map folder and in the map folder right click and then select paste and this will copy all the folders you downloaded into your map and then thats you done.

Make sure you back up first and always remember to safly remove hardware in the icon tray of your PC. Wink

Anything you are unsure about just ask. Smile
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every thing's correct with the above, except in the last line you copy all the FILES (not folders) into your map folder. If you leave the POI files in a folder, the TT won't see them.

It will be easier to understand if you have set Windows Explorer to show you the three letter extensions of all files. To do that,

Go to the 'Tools' Menu in Windows Explorer,
Select 'Folder Options'
Select the 'View' tab
Scroll down the list of entries and UN-tick "Hide extensions for known file types"

You can then see that each POI set that you want to add, consists of two files, an ".ov2" data file and a ".bmp" icon file (the picture you see on the map screen) with the same name.
It's those two files you need to copy into the map folder for each POI category you want to add.

Oh, and the trick with the TomTom's that have both internal memory AND an SD card slot is that Windows "sees" it as TWO new disk drives when you connect it up. Usually the card slot (even if empty) is given the first spare drive letter and the internal memory is given the second.
On my PC, the SD card slot doesn't get a fancy icon, but the internal memory automatically gets a round, red TT icon.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, Just noticed this as i was reading your post. Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on then ... edit your post and I'll edit mine and no-one need ever know! Laughing
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Go on then ... edit your post and I'll edit mine and no-one need ever know! Laughing

No No Andy, If i make a mistake its good to know that you guys are on your toes and notice them quickly. Laughing Laughing
alteaego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: POI's on 720 SD card Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I have new TT 720. I want to put the POIs (and speed cameras) on the SD card rather than the 720 internal memory. I have made a subdirectory on the SD card called Western_Europe and put the POIs in there. They are not recognised by the TT tho. They work ok if I put them in the main memory in the Western_Europe folder.

Am I doing anything wrong?

thanks
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: POI's on 720 SD card Reply with quote

alteaego wrote:
Hi Guys. I have new TT 720. I want to put the POIs (and speed cameras) on the SD card rather than the 720 internal memory. I have made a subdirectory on the SD card called Western_Europe and put the POIs in there. They are not recognised by the TT tho. They work ok if I put them in the main memory in the Western_Europe folder.

Am I doing anything wrong?

thanks
they have to be in the same folder as the map, there is a thread on the site about it somewhere, put them in the same folder and they will work
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As gardenshed says...
They need to be in the ACTUAL map folder, not just one called the same name. If you really want them on the SD card for whatever reason, you will need to move the entire map folder and all its contents to an SD card.
alteaego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys. Message understood - I have got them working by putting them into the main map folder. Pity tho, would be nice to be able to update all the POI's (not just cameras) on the card out of the device
PicklesDad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to ask why I couldn't see POIs in a map folder on the memory card (map on device memory). So thanks all.

I wonder why TomTom let this work for music and pictures, but not the map folder?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PicklesDad wrote:
I wonder why TomTom let this work for music and pictures, but not the map folder?

The POIs are linked directly to the map (you could have more than one). The MP3s and pictures are elements in their own right - not linked to anything else. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
PicklesDad wrote:

The POIs are linked directly to the map (you could have more than one). The MP3s and pictures are elements in their own right - not linked to anything else. Smile

Yeah, but what these guys are asking is why you couldn't have several seperate folders on the SD card with names matching the seperate map folders in the main unit (like "Western_Europe" "Australia" etc.)

I think its a good idea. I suspect there's no reason why it couldn't be done, just that TT haven't thought of it!

There's always the TomTom Feedback Form (You have to be logged in to their site).
PicklesDad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. I'm afraid to admit my current line of work is project management / software development and I can't understand why it can't be done at either the operating system level or more likely the application level. The only difference is the speed of the memory (card vs. internal), but given you can put the whole map on a card and use it from there I don't think that's the problem.

I'll drop some feedback on the URL you quote above.

Thanks!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: