Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How long to hold the reset button
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How long to hold the reset button

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: How long to hold the reset button Reply with quote

I have been reading other peoples problems and some of the answers are stating to hold the reset button in with a paper clip for 10secs, 20secs, 30secs etc.

As i am still having problems with my Hands-free and awaiting TT reply, my question is does it make any difference if i hold the reset button in for 10secs rather than 30secs and if it does can anyone show what the differences are. Thanks again.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think generally it's either a quick poke or a long poke! Quick version is in and out enough to start it off again, whereas longer version is hold it in until the thing shouts out "OK, OK, I give in!!" I may have seen TomTom recommendation for 15 seconds or I may not. Quick reset is the "soft" one, long is the "hard" reset. When I've done the long one, I've held it for ages (but I'm not sure how many I counted to). In my experience, if the short one doesn't work, the long one does, but if I don't do the long one for long enough, it doesn't work, so I do it again murderously!!

Apologies for such a technical response - it's very difficult to put it into simple terms!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quick reset is the "soft" one, long is the "hard" reset.
Apologies for such a technical response - it's very difficult to put it into simple terms!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Dennis....I was of the understanding that a 'soft' reset refers to the icon 'Return to Factory Settings' whereas a 'hard' reset refers to the pushing the reset on the bottom of the unit ... regardless of time spent holding the reset down.

I may be mistaken .... often am! Crying or Very sad
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Quick reset is the "soft" one, long is the "hard" reset.

Dennis....I was of the understanding that a 'soft' reset refers to the icon 'Return to Factory Settings' whereas a 'hard' reset refers to the pushing the reset on the bottom of the unit ... regardless of time spent holding the reset down.

I may be mistaken .... often am! Crying or Very sad
If any thing, it's the other way round.

The pin-in-the-hole Reset loses no data. All it does is force the Device to re-read the data stored on the SD Card, or the Internal Memory.

The reason for holding it in a long time is to ensure that the RAM loses all it's data. Similar to re-starting the PC.

The Factory Setting will lose all your personal settings. It will overwrite the various current settings Files that are stored on the card, or the memory.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys. To be honest i held it in for over a minute and still has not helped my hands-free fault. Got a reply back from TT today about it and they say from the description of the fault i gave them that it is a software fault and it will have to go in for repair.

How long would you say it would take them to fix a sorfware fault as i need my TT for going back to work after the Christmas holidays (15th January). I think it will take longer but was wondering what you think. I know you cant say exactly but a rough idea would do.

Thanks guys and hope you all have a nice Christmas and a lovely New Year.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
ixion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:

How long would you say it would take them to fix a sorfware fault as i need my TT for going back to work after the Christmas holidays (15th January).

TomTom repair facility try to turn units round in 10 days, some recent ones I have sent have taken 5 days. Not sure when they are shut over the festive period though.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ixion wrote:
Not sure when they are shut over the festive period though.
From the 21st December to 3rd Jan. Sad

See Here.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:
they say from the description of the fault i gave them that it is a software fault and it will have to go in for repair.

So they are still trying to sell that line???

If it was a software fault then either they would all do it, or reinstalling good software on it would cure it.
The buzzing hands-free is a hardware fault that they are keeping quiet about. When units have come back from the repair centre in Scotland, they usually have "replaced FETs". FETs are field-effect transistors and them's hardware!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: