Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My Navman icn530 and the daft routes it often comes up with
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My Navman icn530 and the daft routes it often comes up with

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongHaul53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: My Navman icn530 and the daft routes it often comes up with Reply with quote

I have a Navman icn530 bought in January this year which was supplied with 2005 maps. They include some roads built in 2004, but many roads built 10 (or even 30!) years ago are not included. It also does daft things. I have it set for "Quickest, "Motorways most often", and "Urban roads least often" yet last week it tried to turn me left off a straight main road onto a track for 200 yards, then right to run paralel with the main road for half a mile on another cart track, then right again for 200 yds, only to turn left back onto the main road we left! I then asked for the centre of Cromer and ended up heading for a town 60 mls South of Cromer. There's loads more, but you get the idea. Any ideas to get it thinking straight again? I've tried all the re-sets, and does anyone know how to get up to date maps for a reasonable price?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comment is often made, and often been answered. The 530 is probably no worse than any others, and a lot better than earlier sat navs.

The problem with map data is that minor errors in the data are magnified enormously by the complexity of the routing calculations, which are by no means perfect anyway (What is the perfect route - you say "tom-ate-o", I say "to -mar-to", but thats another discussion altogether). Is this your problem? - not really, but for today, it is what it is.

So what does this all mean to you, is there anything you can do? - New map data will be better, but not much. A newer model will be better, but not much, Others, such as Tom Tom, may be better, but not much. If you can't live with these kind of errors, cut your loses and get a paper map and engauge your brain.

Check the route before proceeding, and use waypoints, avoid areas etc, to modify the route as needed - use the device to suggest a route, but you actually make the final decision which way to go.

If you can live with it, but want it better, upgrading is an option. Most people find that if they "ebay" the 530 and buy a new system it is far cheaper than buying new maps for the 530.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to read ahead using the road signs, only last week I encountered two occasions where my TomTom 720 tried to dive off the main road for a small village center and back out again, all you do in these circumstances is ignore the device and it will work out what you are doing.

In the instances I mentioned above both were in North Scotland where bypass roads have been built, the roads have been in place for ten years or so, I remember them being built - but the map doesn't have sufficiant detail to use the new layout.

The A1M around the A57 interchange is another mess at the moment as far as the latest maps are concerned, nodoubt this will be picked up far faster than problems on the back roads of North Scotland involving small villages, BUT if the mapping companies are not notified of errors such as these there is very little chance they will be picked up - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: