Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Not enough space" when downloading new map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Not enough space" when downloading new map
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: "Not enough space" when downloading new map Reply with quote

Hi all.

So finally TomTom make the 7.10 maps available for my Go 720 (thanks to a very helpful 'John G' at TomTom - by far the most helpful I've encountered).

The map appears in my update list.

However, when I click on it to download I get a message saying "Not enough space on device".

The download is 1.8GB.

What's the best approach to this? I've already made a complete backup copy of the Go, just in case (seperate from Home's backup).

I assume I'll need to delete something, but what? And if there's a problem with those maps, can I just copy my backup back onto the TomTom ?

Thanks in advance.
LesMiserable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to buy a 2 Gig SD card, then transfer all your existing data over then download the neweer map onto it.
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5022
TT Home v 2.7.6.2056
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Not enough space" when downloading new map Reply with quote

epoch wrote:
Hi all.

So finally TomTom make the 7.10 maps available for my Go 720 (thanks to a very helpful 'John G' at TomTom - by far the most helpful I've encountered).

The map appears in my update list.

However, when I click on it to download I get a message saying "Not enough space on device".

The download is 1.8GB.

What's the best approach to this? I've already made a complete backup copy of the Go, just in case (seperate from Home's backup).

I assume I'll need to delete something, but what? And if there's a problem with those maps, can I just copy my backup back onto the TomTom ?

Thanks in advance.

I did a complete backup first using copying the contents to a folder on my "D" drive. Then from within Home deleted the Western Europe maps. Downloaded the update and let it install. Home2 then put the PGPSW camersa back on etc. Job done.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesMiserable wrote:
Best to buy a 2 Gig SD card, then transfer all your existing data over then download the newer map onto it.

That ain't going to work unless you delete the old Western Europe map off it. There's not enough room for both. Which puts you in the same situation of having to transfer all your POIs etc across. So there's no point in buying a new SD card.
xda's technique is fine.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
LesMiserable wrote:
Best to buy a 2 Gig SD card, then transfer all your existing data over then download the newer map onto it.

That ain't going to work unless you delete the old Western Europe map off it. There's not enough room for both. Which puts you in the same situation of having to transfer all your POIs etc across. So there's no point in buying a new SD card.
xda's technique is fine.

Andy, a week or so ago, when I tried to dl the North America 7.10 map to my tom tom 720 with no sd card, I was confronted with a lack of space issue. Using Home software 2.1, I removed the existing map folder from the unit. Home wouldn't let me dl the map, not enough space. So, I removed voices, still the complaint. Kept stripping and stripping till home stopped complaining. Let me download.

Well, 2 days later it seemed (actually 4 hours +), the new map did dl and, after 15 minutes into the install routine, the bloody software complained AGAIN about not enough space (-23 mb) on the unit!!

Then, the "fun" began as I had to go into the map zip file and strip a variety of cspeech_state. dat files to get the zip file small enough to install. I also found out that, for me anyway, just extracting the files & folders in the zip file to my hard drive and copying them to the unit wouldn't work as the unit complained "No maps found" when I turned it on.

I guess it is the act of installing via home software that generates a current mapsettings.cfg file for the unit to read. Even copying over my .cfg file from my backed up NA map 7.05 didn't 'take'.

What was most frustrating in the entire process was the fact that initially tomtom home software 'read' that there was enough space to download the map and then later the same software complained there wasn't enough space.

I can see a SD card in my future.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I (finally) got & d/loaded my "Latest Map Guarantee" v710 Euro map (albeit the smaller version) it overwrote various files in the Euro map folder & root. It didn't say there's no room (which there obvioualy was plenty of) or to delete/remove previous version first.

That's using TTHome & LMG, maybe it's different if you BUY a later map?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what it sounds like.
Normally when you BUY a map (even of the same territory), it downloads into a new folder leaving the old one intact.
Various people have recently been saying that they were suprised to find that their POIs were still intact on a new map. Now, that implies that either Home is being clever and copying them all across from one folder to another, OR that it is no longer making a new map folder, but is overwriting data in your existing one. No-one who's said that has reported back what exactly WAS going on though.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my previous post where I said that after the update the POI files previously installed were still intact.

When the new map was available to download in Home 2 it said there was not enough room and needed to have space created on the device.
I selected to delete the Western European Map which Home 2 did, and it started downloading the new one.
What I failed to do was open My Computer and take a look at the "T" drive which is the TomTom Go720 internal storage when docked to the PC to see just what it deleted.

During the install it shows what files are being installed, the last ones were all the PocketGPSWorld Camera files and some but not all of my own POI's. It also retained the additional downloaded TomTom gbr_doctor.inf and .ov2 files.

All the previous MapShare files CA****.ov2 & PA****.ov2 had gone.

There was no evidence of a new Western Europe folder being created but it gave the impression that it had only deleted the TomTom files that it was going to replace or overwrite within the map folder.

After the install I did have to re-setup all the POI warnings, re-do some of the map corrections.

I might do this update again when I get back from Alton this weekend to see just what it is deleting prior to the update downloading.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
There was no evidence of a new Western Europe folder being created but it gave the impression that it had only deleted the TomTom files that it was going to replace or overwrite within the map folder.
This was my experience. The only difference was I didn't need to delete anything because I had sufficient space.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mediafriendly
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
That's what it sounds like.
Normally when you BUY a map (even of the same territory), it downloads into a new folder leaving the old one intact.
Various people have recently been saying that they were suprised to find that their POIs were still intact on a new map. Now, that implies that either Home is being clever and copying them all across from one folder to another, OR that it is no longer making a new map folder, but is overwriting data in your existing one. No-one who's said that has reported back what exactly WAS going on though.

I think Home is being clever. When TomTom finally updated my Home with the latest 7.10 UK map, I left the previous 6.75 map on the device and installed the new one. When I installed 7.10, my speed cameras, voices, Vicki etc were copied over automatically.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the difference between a 4GB hard drive and 2GB flash memory. With everything installed only have about 120MB free.
I suppose I could have installed to the 4GB SD Card but would have had to delete 3.5GB's of MP3's and Photos etc.
Nokia 925 Windows 8
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrr!

The map download is 1988MB.

I tried removing the Western Europe and Canary Isles maps from the TomTom and TTHome still says there's not enough space.

So, I got a 2GB SD card. But stupid "IT Professional" me forgot to consider that a 2GB card is only about 1.91GB formatted. So - not enough room there either.

I really don't want to go buy a 4GB SD card.

Is there anything on the TomTom I can safely remove (as well as the maps)?

Thanks in advance.
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't doen this on my 700 as yet because I got the same message about space.

When it downloads what name does it give the map file?

Is it possible to download it onto the computer and then, if it is the same name just drag the contents onto the old map folder? This would keep all the pois and ogg.files whilst updating the rest of the files - assuming that they all have he same names!

The alternative would seem to be to drag the pois etc into the new file?

But I may be talking through my hat!

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOME doesn't give you the Option of Installing to another location. Unlike the pre-HOME Installation method.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
epoch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a good look through the TomTom filesystem and the only thing I could see which warranted removal was some audio book demos. Even with them, and the WE and Canary Islands maps gone, there was still nowhere near enough space.

Looks like a 4GB SD card is the only option. They're cheap enough, but it's still bloody annoying that TomTom release an update that won't even fit on the target device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: