Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is This The Slowest Repair Ever ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is This The Slowest Repair Ever ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Is This The Slowest Repair Ever ? Reply with quote

My 2nd 720 (the 1st was faulty and replaced by the retailer) died and went off to the repair centre on 12-10-07 - after weeks and weeks of emailing TT (most of the messages were ignored) and many phone calls they agreed to send me a new unit. That was on 19-11-07. I'm still waiting for it ....... Has anyone waited longer than this or am I the lucky winner of the Slowest Repair in History competition ..?

I am now considering my options - if TT were a UK Company I would be taking them to Court without further ado - Can anyone tell me what the legal situation is with TT being based outside the UK - can they be taken to the Small Claims Court in the same way that a UK Company can - or does any legal action have to be done in the country in which they are based (The Netherlands) ?

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent this today - I wonder if bypassing the UK Customer Service shambles will do any good ...

Harold Goddijn
TomTom
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
The Netherlands

BY FAX 003120 850 1099 & ROYAL MAIL RECORDED DELIVERY
06 December 2007

Dear Sir

Re: Lost TomTom 720 Repair/Service Ref: DER07101183635 Oct 11, 2007; FOC07111942938 Nov 19, 2007; My Questions History: 071024-001531 Proof of pick up; 071025-003330 FOC07111942938

Please do me the courtesy of reading and responding to this letter, which your appalling UK customer service/repair service made it necessary for me to write.

I bought a TT 720 at the end of July 2007. It soon became faulty and was replaced for me by the retailer. The replacement unit also failed and when I contacted the retailer for another replacement I was told that I would have to send it back to TomTom for repair because I had owned it for more than a month. I wasn’t too worried about doing that because when I had previously sent items to your repair centre they had been returned within a few days.

Well my confidence in your Company has now been completely shattered. I sent the unit off to you on 12th October 2007 and I am still waiting for it (or a replacement) to be sent to me. In fact since I bought my first 720 at the end of July 2007 I have had 2 weeks use of it altogether.

I waited for the 10 days that you state as maximum time for the unit to be repaired and returned to me and because the unit has not been returned I started the long procedure of telephone calls and emails to your support staff. There is a record of all my email correspondence on your website and as you will see I have been subjected to a series of lies and excuses by which any Company should be embarrassed and ashamed.

I have spent vast amounts of time on the phone to your support staff, and wasted more time writing emails to you.

I now have no alternative other than to give you notice that I will not tolerate any further prevarications from you and insist that your provide me with a refund of my full purchase price of the unit plus some appropriate amount of money in compensation for all the time and inconvenience this issue has caused me. If I do not receive a favourable response to this letter within 7 days of the date upon it I will instruct my solicitor to commence legal action against you for recovery of my purchase costs, expenses and punitive damages for my inconvenience without further notice.

Yours faithfully etc.

Trouble is I'm not sure how to go about suing a non UK Company ... Maybe it won't be necessary and Harold will send me a nice cheque today ...

Now then - what's the best non TomTom GPS unit I can buy ?

Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinks my rider was over 3 months
computergenie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Take a look here at the below link it also has information regarding abroad etc

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_goods_your_rights.htm
SanDisk 2GB SD Card.
computergenie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you pay by Credit Card?

Ifso any item £100 or more you are auomatically covered for 1 year with your credit card company, and if you did pay by credit card you can phone your creit card comapny up and they will deal with the problem and they then usually give you a full refund.

Some Important facts from that link are:

There are very important facts on that link.
SanDisk 2GB SD Card.
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is I am not having a problem with the retailer I bought it from - it is TomTom who have had the 720 for repair since October 12th ... I sent it direct to them, not via the retailer, in accordance with TT's instructions ... so what recourse do I have against TT ...?

computergenie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as you said TomTom states that items will be gauranteed given back and repaired etc within 10 days.

They have failed to do this and even thou the law does not specify a specific time you should be eligible for a full refund or a new replacement as it has taken more than enough of efficent time to try and repair and find the fault.

contact them by phone and say you contacted Trading Standards and that you have been to Citizens Advice and they have told you that Becasue you have waited a long enough time you are entiteled to a full refund or new replacement as TomTom has had enough time to investigate the faulty unit and to whether it is repairable or not, and also TomTom has failed it's 10 day gaurantee into sending the unit back to you.

Beleive me i have had problems with companys before and i always end up winning.

Even thou the law does not state a specific time for a product to be replaced/repaired or refunded you would be granted a full refund or replacement unit as the time you have waited is classed as "unreasonable".

Also i am very sure that all retailers must give customers 12 months warranty and that is with the retailer not the manufacturer then after 12 months it would be manufacturer.

In your case you would not be eligible for a reund unless you could prove that the fault was there then you purchased the unit which is very hard to prove but you could have argued your case with the retailer and you could of had a replacement unless they have a policy in place regarding that a tomtom which has a defect after 1 month would need to be sent back for repair/replacement which if that is the case which is very unlikely you would and should have been told this.
SanDisk 2GB SD Card.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to send a letter/e-mail to TomTom stating that "time is now of the essence" and giving them a reasonable time to respond with the repaired unit - say 1 week? Then you can take stronger action.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, When you returned the device you will have been given a code number (RMA) can you let us know via the forum what this was and then we will see what happens - No promises but it might assist the situation - Mike
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe anyone would send a 720 to TomTom for repair.

Why not just demand the shop to replace it?

Everyone knows how bad TT support is. Rolling Eyes
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Ted, When you returned the device you will have been given a code number (RMA) can you let us know via the forum what this was and then we will see what happens - No promises but it might assist the situation - Mike

Thanks for your interest. The original repair number was DER07101183635, but after the first 5 weeks of waiting for the unit to be returned, and after a lot of pressure from me, TT agreed to replace it instead of doing a repair - and provided and new number for that - FOC07111942938.

I have now written to the TT Chairman Harold Godjiin, demanding a full refund - I haven't much hope of even getting an acknowledgement to that letter but I'll wait a few more days ......

I did ring TT support again yesterday and Tim there told me that they have a huge backlog but that I should get my unit this week - he was more than a little confused though when I referred him to my letter demanding a refund (I had copied that letter to My Questions on their website so his confusion only proved that when you ring and give them your details and the incident reference they don't even bother to read the thread ...!)

It would be interesting to know just what percentage of the x20 units have had to go back - I suspect it is a massive percentage ..?

tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
I can't believe anyone would send a 720 to TomTom for repair.

Why not just demand the shop to replace it?

Everyone knows how bad TT support is. Rolling Eyes

As it happens when the 1st 720 died I did sent it back to the retailer for a replacement which came (direct from TT) within a few days, but when the replacement died I thought that if I went for another replacement that too could be duff so I might as well go for the repair. On previous occasions the repair service has been good with just a fews days turnaround, so I had no reason to think it would be any different this time ......

Now of course after this experience I know that the best way is to take it back to the retailer, and under no circumstances send it back to TT. Also that it is best to buy the damn things from a local store rather than online so that you don't have all the hassle of parcelling it up and sending it off, and if your face to face with someone in a store you can put up a much more determined argument than if you're doing it ny email or phone.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ........

mullengers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
I sent this today - I wonder if bypassing the UK Customer Service shambles will do any good ...

Harold Goddijn
TomTom
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
BY FAX 003120 850 1099 & ROYAL MAIL RECORDED DELIVERY 06 December 2007

I had to escalate one repair (that seemed to take an age) and got immediate response from writing to:

"TomTom Sales BV
Customer Support - Customer Relations Department
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
The Netherlands"
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a repair RMA for my 520 unit last Friday saying

Quote:
HOW TO SEND YOUR TOMTOM PRODUCTS?
Within 24 hours (regular working days) you can expect Royal Mail to drop off a package at your address with further instructions how to send:

It is now Wednesday of next week and still no returns package.

Are they always this slow getting to even stage 1 of a repair?

HummerUK
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaah it was at this point I was told my unit had been delivered and after a bit f digging we discovered it had been delivered to someone 500 miles south of my address!!

a few more weeks will pass young one then a replacement will appear - maybe

Never again

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: