Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wooddar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 7 Reply with quote

Is it worth buyin Tom TOm 6 as I understand TomTom 7 is due out soon. Any news on the date for the pocket PC version
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom 7 Reply with quote

wooddar wrote:
Is it worth buyin Tom TOm 6 as I understand TomTom 7 is due out soon. Any news on the date for the pocket PC version

If you've heard v7 for PocketPC is out soon then you know more than we do. TomTom have not yet even confirmed the existence of a v7 solution for PDA's yet alone announced any release dates.

I'd get v6, otherwise you could be waiting a long time.
wooddar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 7 Reply with quote

I thought as it has been in their hardward GPS devices it woudl be with us soom.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all hoping it will appear but TomTom have made no firm statement on its availability.
Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom 7 Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
wooddar wrote:

If you've heard v7 for PocketPC is out soon then you know more than we do. TomTom have not yet even confirmed the existence of a v7 solution for PDA's yet alone announced any release dates.

I posted the following under the TomTom Navigator subforum, but don't know how to link it so, I'll repeat it here. Darren says it rubbish. But apparently, TomTom is silent on next (Version7) PocketPC version, which is curious and maybe consistent. I don't know.

On Dec 4, a TomTom help line representative, based in the US, not in TomTom's European brain center, told me some bad news (at least in my view).

He said, TomTom will never again offer Navigator software in a retail box (with an enclosed CD) for customer installation. This means "Version 7."

Instead, TomTom will market all future cellphone/PDA based Navigator products only via the handset manufacturer. In other words, if you want TomTom, it has to be pre-installed on the device by the manufacturer.

Why did they do this? The rep told me that currently the huge number of problems with installs on unsupported devices was causing too much customer dissatisfaction and too much time spent for TomTom.

I'm shocked and disappointed if the RUMOR is true. But, I also can understand it.

Can anyone offer more firm insight?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you expect to confirm it? TomTom won't even publicly discuss whether v7 for PDA's etc is going to appear at all so they are hardly likely to discuss this.
Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Who do you expect to confirm it? TomTom won't even publicly discuss whether v7 for PDA's etc is going to appear at all so they are hardly likely to discuss this.

I simply thought someone from the community might have some information about this. I thought that was the idea of forums like this. But maybe I'm missing something.

But if TomTom refuses to discuss "whether v7 for PDA's etc is going to appear at all", that means something. To me, it's at least consistent with discontinuing it. But, simply because it is consistent, doesn't make it true. Still only a RUMOR.

In any case, this not a big deal Darren. Please don't feel compelled to answer all these posting.

But, if you hear, or anyone hears, anything, please let us know.
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One reason why TomTom will not dicsuss v7 for PDAs is, I suppose, is that they want us to continue buying v6 until such time as v7 does, or does not, appear.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom 7 Reply with quote

Captain_Eric wrote:
He said, TomTom will never again offer Navigator software in a retail box (with an enclosed CD) for customer installation. This means "Version 7.

Why did they do this? The rep told me that currently the huge number of problems with installs on unsupported devices was causing too much customer dissatisfaction and too much time spent for TomTom.

I love TomTom but I can't imagine that they spend too much time supporting their products. I have owned PPC versions since v2 and can't ever remember them actually solving a problem if they even bothered to respond at all. Customer support for their products is non-existent. That is why we come here.
Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom 7 Reply with quote

Based on this video from TomTom headquarters in Amsterdam, TomTom Navigator 7 (sold individually for Pocket PC) is dead.

Instead, they will offer it through HTC. I assume that means either preinstalled or "tuned" to a particular device, and sold via HTC, not all bad.

http://www.vimeo.com/649472

It's a very interesting video on High Definition Traffic by the way.

Captain_Eric wrote:
Darren wrote:
wooddar wrote:

I posted the following under the TomTom Navigator subforum, but don't know how to link it so, I'll repeat it here. Darren says it rubbish. But apparently, TomTom is silent on next (Version7) PocketPC version, which is curious and maybe consistent. I don't know.

On Dec 4, a TomTom help line representative, based in the US, not in TomTom's European brain center, told me some bad news (at least in my view).

He said, TomTom will never again offer Navigator software in a retail box (with an enclosed CD) for customer installation. This means "Version 7."

Instead, TomTom will market all future cellphone/PDA based Navigator products only via the handset manufacturer. In other words, if you want TomTom, it has to be pre-installed on the device by the manufacturer.

I'm shocked and disappointed if the RUMOR is true. But, I also can understand it.

Can anyone offer more firm insight?
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then it looks like they just lost this repeat customer, dammit Grrrr
AnorakStan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom 7 Reply with quote

Captain_Eric wrote:
Based on this video from TomTom headquarters in Amsterdam, TomTom Navigator 7 (sold individually for Pocket PC) is dead.

Instead, they will offer it through HTC. I assume that means either preinstalled or "tuned" to a particular device, and sold via HTC, not all bad.

Sad

Surely the "REAL" answer is that TOMTOM has got too big for it's boots, having grown to the size it has from initially selling the Pocket PC versions they have now developed there own Hardware solution and they will get more profit from selling that, so if they drop the Pocket PC version (as they obviously have) they will hopefully force more people to buy the Hardware solution and hence they will make more profit.

Profit is obviously there ONLY driving force - Customer Satisfaction has never been something they care about.

Lyndon C
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is business I'm afraid. Whilst we may not like it, PocketPC's are a nightmare to support and if they form a very small part of their sales figures, why spend considerable time and money producing solutions for them when they can make more profitable PND's which are easier to support?

Having said that, I do not have any new information on v7 for PocketPC, I'm still hopeful that it will appear.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still maintain that TT are, if they intend to stop supporting PDA/PPCs, shooting themselves well and truly in the both feet with a large calibre cannon.

With the ever-increasing numbers of these units in circulation, more and more people are cottoning onto GPS with their PDA/PPCs; this creates an ever larger market for PDA/PPC-based GPS software products, which can be confirmed by the large number of producers of this form of software.

As a result, manufacturers of this software should not expect retain their original customer brand loyalty if they ignore said customer base.

And let us never forget - and let them never forget either - that word of mouth counts more than advertising ever will: The retail rule of thumb is one positive sale generates maybe two or three more sales; one disaffected customer equals tens, if not hundreds, of lost sales through what retail today calls viral marketing.

I truly hope you're listening, TomTom. You need to wake up and smell the coffee before its' too late.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G1LIW wrote:
I would still maintain that TT are, if they intend to stop supporting PDA/PPCs, shooting themselves well and truly in the both feet with a large calibre cannon.

It's been said elsewhere that another reason (and potentially one of the main reasons) for not doing v7 on PDA is the piracy issue. Too many illegal copies of mapping out there. With an "all-in-one only" market they can significantly tighten up their map locking procedures.

Also I would imagine that V7 takes quite a bit more horsepower and V6 can hog a lot of my AXIM X51v - which is no slouch PDA. So there may also be technical reasons.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: