Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New maps 50% off - oh no they are not !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New maps 50% off - oh no they are not !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember, even though there are several definitions of "average" in maths, NONE of them even come close to being applicable here.

So the original claim is wrong, and their attempted justification is wrong too, which is even more un-ethical.
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern last year was the fact they use the words "New Maps" and should be using the words "Our Current Maps", (which hasnt changed) maybe they use "New Maps" like the term "50% discount" in their marketing because they think it looks good... but forget the fact that it is "misleading" or maybe we the consumer just dosnt understand the market of SatNav.

any ideas how old their New Maps are, lets say in comparison to a 2008 (or even 2007 edition to give them some leeway for errors) of a Garage Map found at a filling station... just out of curiosity of course... according to TomTom their New Maps have a date of when they obtained the data from TeleAtlas... see quoted message from TomTom:

"TomTom uses the best possible map data that are available in the market. Our maps have a version number and a date, for example 2007.1. This means that all alterations checked by TeleAtlas before January 2007 are processed in the map material. After the processing of these alterations the map data are being compressed by TomTom this is because then the data fits on a SD card and therefore is affordable for the consumer. This huge procedure of millions of changes and compressing the data takes time and has the consequence that the date of the maps are several months old at the moment of purchase by the consumer. Important is that we ensure that we come onto the market first or simultaneously with the latest maps."

as you say it is a shame TomTom still dont understand the importance of Good Customer Services, I also hope they do not win their bid for owning TeleAtlas, if there was another Mac OSX compatible SatNav system I would probably be using it instead of TomTom's

grabbed this image off TomToms site today (home page): 11/12/2007...
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been onto TT about misleading e-mails they have sent out about the 50%. They have now informed me that their web name says 'up to 50% off'
At times when talking to TT support it feels like i'm talking to a brick wall

Cheers

Keith
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: 50% off maps Reply with quote

You can talk to them until you are blue in the face and they just tell you more lies and give you the standard replies. If you tell them that black is black and that white is white they just tell you it isn't.
They now refuse to communicate with me and do not answer my emails. (See my earlier posts on this topic) I guess if you can't win an argument it's best to just shut up and that's what they've done. I have lodged a complaint with the Adverstising Standards Authority but I suppose they will tell them not to be naughty and not to do it again. The arrogance of TomTom is unbelievable and I for one will not buy another one of their products, no matter how good it is. Crying or Very sad I will probably give Garmin a go next time.
Happy New Year Folks. Laughing
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all my correspondence with them,TomTom just had the nerve to send me an email offering me "Up to 50% of new maps".
Their previous email offered me "50% off new maps" and they reneged on that. Not a company to be trusted. A company without scruples.
I wouldn't use any of their products again if they were the last satnav manufacturer on earth.
(Still waiting for a judgement from the ASA.)
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that to me certainly looks like 50% off. can't see any mention of "upto".
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a new email with the words "up to" added.
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bazza, what i am saying is on the ad they clearly state 50% off which we all know isn't the case.
I see your new mail were they put the upto in. do they really think that makes things right.?
AlanCollier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza

Time for a more direct approach?

Perhaps somebody here knows the names and email addresses of somebody working at TomTomUK? Keep up the pressure and let us know how you get on.

I think this stinks, they really are a slimy company.
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i looked at this add it showed 50% off but now after looking again it now states 'up to 50% off'..... nothing like moving the goalposts.
I somehow think that they knew they have f'up but will not or can't say that they have.
I have given up talking to TT as every answers i get back is like it's from a computer...

Cheers

Keith
bazzza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pennine,
Have you had a response from the ASA? I have only had a letter of acknowledgement. Since then, nothing.
Iphone 6
TT Via 135M
GO520 WiFi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: