Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Update of App on TT720 fails
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Update of App on TT720 fails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbeanpa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Update of App on TT720 fails Reply with quote

I've spent ages looking through the various posts on the forums and haven't spotted anything that resembles the problem I have. Anybody else encountered it, anyone got a solution? Tried to contact TomTom and even that failed (poxy site)! I've now resorted to e-mailing them and await a response....

I'm running TT Home v2.1.2.121 in Windows XP pro SP2

Just replaced me old TT go500 with an all shiney TT720 (wow it's good after the older unit!)

Out the box it's running App 7.010 (8290/070711).

I connect it up to the computer, home spots it, looks for downloads and reports an update is available (App v7.020) goes through the motions, reports all is done.

Trying to run the 720 from Home fails, just reports a file is needed then say's it's unavailable, try later - Very helpful.

Operating the TT720 on it's own results in the unit just sitting looking at me. Looks like it's trying to load the app then puts up a big red cross in a circle and flashes away to itself.

If I reconnect the TT720 back up to the computer we go through the whole process again, update available, download, all loaded - nothing works! Tried it at least a dozen times all with no success.

Only way I can recover is to return the device to the original files - thank goodness I made a backup before I did anything else.

Map updates and Mapshare updates all appear to be working OK.

Any info/help greatfully recieved.

Oh, and please be gentle with me I'm new the the world of Forums Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treat this as two separate problems...
1. the fact you can't get the "virtual" TomTom to work in Home. This is a known problem. For some reason, TomTom can't get their servers to download the right .dll at the moment (or TT have decided there is a problem with it and won't let it be downloaded. There's quite a lot about this on the forums already if you look.

2. The update to 7.020 should work. Have you tried doing the update and then pressing the reset switch on the bottom of the unit with a pin for a good 10-15 seconds and then switching back on (without any SD card in the slot, if you have one). You MAY need to do this 2-3 times.

However, although it is annoying if you can't get it to update, it isn't the end of the world. According to my list HERE , there wasn't much to that update:
Quote:
v7.020 (build 8294) - 16th Oct 2007 - GO520 and 720 only. Minor update for GO x20. Contains only small bugfixes (for MMC cards?)

Well done for making that backup! Just to check, it WAS done with Windows Explorer not Home, wasn't it? Home has a tendency to miss off large chunks of backups (eg the vital TTS voices). See HERE for instructions on Win Explorer backups (and lots of other important stuff too).
mrbeanpa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Many thanks. I had tried all you suggested, but obviously wasn't persistant enough. Off to London now, but will try it all next week.

Oh, and yep, did a simple copy drive to drive. Can't be pestered with all that bloat provided by TT - been in IT too long for that!

First time I've used a froum for this sort of thing - Good ain't they! Very Happy

Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: