Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One XL Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One XL Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerplunkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom One XL Issue Reply with quote

I am having an issue setting my home location. When I try and set it, it moves it over a mile from my house to the nearest junction as my road has house numbers but Tom Tom does not have them yet.

I tried to create a POI group called home but can't find out how.

Any suggestions to set my home location as my home location without having to insert a fake poi into a catagory it does not belong in.

Thanks.

BTW TomTOm One Xl latest version fully updated.
Pufin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a good idea to set the home location as your home, down the road or round he corner is much better. Reason, if the unit gets nicked while you are out, the tealeaf knows you are out and where you live.
Sad

Try setting it outside with a gps lock, then set it using present location.

Two TomTom 500's
App 7.161 GPS v1.21 Boot 4.8600 Map Western_Europe_1GB v710.1561
Installed on 2gig sd cards.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were you setting it? From "Address"?

A better way would be from "GPS position".
Go outside, so you have a good satellite lock then go Tap screen / Change preferences/ forward arrow / Change Home location /forward arrow /GPS position.
That should do it.

The "GPS position" icon is very useful for marking "Where you are now" in order to save it as a favourite or a POI... don't fall into the trap of wondering why it is 'greyed out' in "Navigate to..." though. If you think about it, why would you want to navigate to "where you are now"! (The same applies to "Home" - you can't navigate to it if you are already there, so that will be greyed out when you are at home.

You shouldn't need to do anything with POIs to get this working, but for general info, you create a new POI category by Tap screen / Change preferences/ forward arrow / Manage POI / ADD POI category /Name it. Smile
kerplunkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys I will give that a go.

Out of interest I have just used it to navigate to town and back, and it has a major trunk road missing (the road is over a year old). How do I try and get the latest map, when the Tom TOm software promises I have the latest map?
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live at Peterborough myself so which major road is missing? I've recently got a XL myself and thought local roads looked good.
The Thorney by-pass is on map 710 but not on 675 and that opened just less than 2 years ago which I think is ok regarding up-to-date mapping.
kerplunkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
I live at Peterborough myself so which major road is missing? I've recently got a XL myself and thought local roads looked good.
The Thorney by-pass is on map 710 but not on 675 and that opened just less than 2 years ago which I think is ok regarding up-to-date mapping.

I bought the One XL this weekend and updated it before use. The Thorney bypass is totally missing, yet roads in my village added earlier this year are on the maps. Plus the road my partner lives on in Orton is over twenty years old and is still not on the map.

How can a major road not be updated? Two years is a long time is road construction.

Why does my tom tom not update to map 710 is that is the latest? The tom tom pc software says I have the latest maps.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read this thread you will see that the procedure for using the map guarantee does not work. My XL came with map 675 and by phoning customer support they agreed to make the 710 map available for download through 'home'. I had to send them a scan of my proof of purchase first.
Regarding how up-to-date a map should be, I've got an AA paper map which claims to be 2006 but the Thorney by-pass is missing - I think TomTom map 710 is ok in comparison.
kerplunkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:
If you read this thread you will see that the procedure for using the map guarantee does not work. My XL came with map 675 and by phoning customer support they agreed to make the 710 map available for download through 'home'. I had to send them a scan of my proof of purchase first.
Regarding how up-to-date a map should be, I've got an AA paper map which claims to be 2006 but the Thorney by-pass is missing - I think TomTom map 710 is ok in comparison.

I may think 710 is ok if it were available. I shall contact the support department and see what happens.

However surely as one of the biggest sat nav companies they should sort out their software and make it work, so the "Promise" is true
kerplunkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the funniest response from TomTom support.

They ignored the fact my map was outdated and suggested I returned the item for a refund if I was not happy having a two year old major road missing.

I replied that it was the latest map I wanted and was told it was not available for my unit!
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read on this forum the response does vary depending on who you speak to. I made one tel call and did get a standard response as follows.
TomTom wrote:
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding your Map Guarantee Code

The Code that appears on the Green Leaflet that came with your TomTom device is a Map Guarantee Code. It is NOT a Promotion Code for Free PLUS Services such as Traffic and Safety Cameras etc.

If you buy a TomTom and a map update becomes available within 30 days of the Date of purchase, the Map Guarantee Code entitles you to a free Map Update.

You will also need to make sure that you have registered your TomTom device onto your TomTom account, to do this, please follow these steps:-
- Log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom Website http://www.tomtom.com/support/
- Once you have logged in, click on 'PLUS Services'
- Click on 'Select My Device'
- Choose your device profile
- Enter your Device Code of your device into your account. The Device Code can be found on the 'Show Version' Menu of your TomTom.

You can use the Map Guarantee Code by logging in to your TomTom account via TomTom Home.
If you haven't already done so, you can install TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/7602

We Strongly Recommend that you make a Backup of your TomTom device BEFORE you use the Map Guarantee Code and download any updates.

Once you have made a backup in TomTom Home, please do the following:-
- Click on 'File -Use Latest Map Guarantee'.

If you are Entitled to a free Map update, TomTom Home will download your Map update if the Map Guarantee Code is still valid.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

There was no green leaflet in the box but I sent this reply:
Snudge wrote:
I ordered my OneXL on 18th Oct so I am within the 30 day period so I qualify for the free map guarantee. TomTom Home does not allow me to do this - it's a problem your end. Home tells me that I have the latest map ands I know that I don't - I have map 675.1409.
Please arrange for me to download map 7.10.
Thanks

A few days later the 710 map was available in 'home' for me to download.
I'm pleased with the XL and would have kept it even without the Thorney by-pass.(It's the only difference I've found from the 675 map so far) The villagers of Thorney first asked for the by-pass in 1932 - I didn't mind waiting a week to get it. Smile
I think persistence and politeness is the answer
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thorney bypass, despite being over 2 years old ,was only added recently.

its been a major bugbear of mine for ages, and finally on 710, it was sorted.

btw, I didn't think XL had latest map guarantee - only v3 and the latest go's?

teleatlas are so behind. are the surprised people pirate the rider's navteq map?
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no map guarantee leaflet in the box but I asked anyway and got a reply saying the request had been approved. If they've made a mistake it's too late, I'm keeping it. Smile
TomTom customer service rocks - a really cool bunch of guys. Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: