Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hmm Spoken address eh?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmm Spoken address eh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Infama wrote:
Andy,

What is your feeling on the 710 maps?

Based on our posts on the 2 sites, it seems to be clear that the 710 WCE map is inferior to the WCE 675.1322 map. How could this be?

Did TT or TA mess up or is the 675.1322 map a Navteq? Even if this is the case, the 660 TA map has that Switch Island update that the 705 and 710 lack.

Sorry to go off-topic here, but it seems that VR issue has been solved now.

Wouldn't this have been better as a NEW topic? Doesn't have a lot to do with voice recognition.
Maybe a kind moderator can split it out?

As requested, I started a new thread.
Edited by DennisN to insert .....this link to it.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a stupid question, but how do I know that a voice is a "computer voice" that allows text to speech? I have only two british voices installed on my uni (Tim and Jane) they are obviously recorded voices.

So, where can I get computer voices in english?
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
Maybe a stupid question, but how do I know that a voice is a "computer voice" that allows text to speech? I have only two british voices installed on my uni (Tim and Jane) they are obviously recorded voices.

Not stupid at all if you haven't got any to look at! But quite simple if you have.
The flippant answer is that you can tell if it is a computer/TTS voice because it sounds cr*p!
the better answer is that on the voice selection pages in the top right it says "male" or "female" for the recorded voices and "male computer" or "female computer" for the TTS ones.

Now, why you haven't got any is a bit of a mystery.
The 720 in the UK usually comes with just the female TTS voice "Kate" installed on the machine, but there is a male TTS voice ("Simon") on the CD that came in the box. (I can't remember if Kate is on the CD - I SUSPECT NOT).
On the TomTom, the files themselves are in a folder called LoquendoTTS/EnglishGb/Kate and LoquendoTTS/EnglishGb/Simon.

I'd suggest you use Home to try installing Simon. If that works then the mystery is where Kate has gone, but if it doesn't then the mystery is why the TTS isn't working at all.

As a (possibly connected) aside... Does your speech recognition work in Navigate to/Address/Spoken address ??
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
The flippant answer is that you can tell if it is a computer/TTS voice because it sounds cr*p!
Actually, Andy, I find that if I use the FM speaker, my computer lady is better than Jane.

Won't the nice gentleman have a Swedish computer voice if he's in Sweden? - I haven't got a Swedish computer voice.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be going blind.... I looked at his details and I'm SURE I didn't see a country mentioned. That's why I said "The 720 in the UK..." just in case he wasn't in the UK himself.

So the question now becomes "what (if any) TTS voices are supplied on a Swedish Go720?"

Anyway... In *my* Home v2.1 in the UK, the first icon is "Add maps, traffic, voices etc".
Click on that and (ignoring "voices" on page 1 of 3) and moving on to page 3 of 3 there is an entry for "computer voices".
That offers me free downloads of Kate and Simon but also Dave and Susan, the two US voices.
But I bet what you get offered depends on what country you are in (Loquendo's copyright conditions again?)
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I will follow you advice and try to find Simon's voice tonight. I bought the unit in Sweden, that's true, but I still think that the TTS voice should be available on the unit.

Unfortunately Swedish isn't one of the supported TTS languages so I need to use English or another supported language. I don't intend to use the TTS capability much in Sweden (if it will work at all when language set to English) but when I go abroad.

Speech recognition works so my problem is only related to the missing TTS voices.

Regards,
Ulf
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, if I connect my 720 to computer with a blank SD card and choose the card instead of the Internal memory, when I go to update I'm offered a bunch of voices. Don't know whether they are computer voices and I've not been able to test it just now because I no longer have a blank card.

I would imagine the English computer voice would have a lot of difficulty with Swedish place and street names.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an option in change preferences to set the unit to read out street names when away from its own country, being in Sweden using a UK voice you will need this enabled for the voice to work.
It will struggle with certain names though, I recall Lutz recently mentioned that while in Germany the USA voice wasn't too good, loading a German TTS voice sorted the issue though, not an option for you, load the UK voice from the disk and give it a try -Mike
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
uffe73 wrote:

Not stupid at all if you haven't got any to look at! But quite simple if you have.
the better answer is that on the voice selection pages in the top right it says "male" or "female" for the recorded voices and "male computer" or "female computer" for the TTS ones.

Now, why you haven't got any is a bit of a mystery.
The 720 in the UK usually comes with just the female TTS voice "Kate" installed on the machine, but there is a male TTS voice ("Simon") on the CD that came in the box. (I can't remember if Kate is on the CD - I SUSPECT NOT).
On the TomTom, the files themselves are in a folder called LoquendoTTS/EnglishGb/Kate and LoquendoTTS/EnglishGb/Simon.

I'd suggest you use Home to try installing Simon. If that works then the mystery is where Kate has gone, but if it doesn't then the mystery is why the TTS isn't working at all.

As a (possibly connected) aside... Does your speech recognition work in Navigate to/Address/Spoken address ??

I installed the Simon computer voice from the CD tonight and it all works as expected. Using an english voice in Sweden produces a very bad pronounciation of the road names, but when used in England it works as it should (I tested with a demo route). That's what I wanted to verify. Too bad that TTS doesn't support Swedish. I know that Loquendo has a Swedish speech engine but maybe TomTom want's to save the money for that license...
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
akhannay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all... I live In South Africa and i loved the GO720 so much i bought it in the UK so the spoken addresses worked. well i downloaded the Southern African maps and the spoken address function ceased to function??? is that normal or am i doing something wrong?

sorry for this stupid question butdoes anyone know where i can get the remote sent to me in South africa? i cant seem to find it at any shop that will ship it to me... Please help with my two questions... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
akhannay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO?

please help guys... i will really appreciate it
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akhannay wrote:
HELLO?

please help guys... i will really appreciate it

For TTS to work, the appropriate map requires csspeech_xx_.dat files to be included. For example, here in North America, there is an xx file for each state and one for CAN(ada). Perhaps your S African map doesn't have that.

I'm assuming you have selected a computer voice as well.......
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy and Dennis:

Apologies for my inappropriate request back in November, and subsequent pursuit of similar information in other threads; I lost track of this thread and didn't see your comments until just now.

Frankly, I feel a bit cheated by TomTom and don't believe that I've done anything "wrong" by turning my speech recognition on on my 720. The SR software is licensed by Nuance, which is listed in the copyright menu so presumably they've been paid their royalty. Tele Atlas was clearly paid their royalty since I've been given the new maps with the cspeech files. I think TomTom has just been lazy (negligent) about providing this update to their customers.

Regardless, I'll try to be more aware of my requests and how they might be perceived, and respect the rules of the forum.

Cheers,
Toneloc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: