Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First Impressions of v7 on the x980t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First Impressions of v7 on the x980t
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: First Impressions of v7 on the x980t Reply with quote

To start with the sotware comes across as being a complete rewrite, rather than just a patch of v6.5

GPS lock - I find the software seems to lock onto sats much quicker now and even gets signals in the house now where v6 didn't. No idea how the tunnel mode works as just realised we don't really have many tunnels where I live.

New Interface - The menus are much nicer but could still do with a little work as sometimes you find yourself knowing the option you want but can't remember what submenu the option is in.
I like the improved search options for POI's, it would be useful if you could search more than one POI catagory at a time as sometimes it's hard to know what catagory you need to look in for the non Michelin POI.
It would be nice if TTS could be implemented for reading out the ViaMichelin POI descriptions.

Routing options - I like the way it's easier to switch between screens without loosing the programmed destination and once you remember where it is the 'reverse route' option is a quick way to well reverse the route Laughing I would however like to see the ability to program roads / areas to avoid. (some areas of Nottingham I wouldn't even want to be driving through)

Map GUI - I love the fact the new software makes much better use of the nice large screen on the x980t. v6 seemed to somehow make the map smaller than my old Navman which had a smaller screen size to start with. But now the map is nice and large and you can see so much more of the map while still retaining the handy pacman view for junctions and roundabouts.

Maps - All I can say is it's time TeleAtlas actually implement the corrections reported to them years ago, especially on roads where junctions have changed or no longer accessable to cars. (TeleAtlas provided POI's are also very out of date)
TeleAtlas really need to explain why the 2nd 2007 maps still seem out of date as it really reflects badly on the GPS. For most people they will simply blaim the GPS and possibly sell the Michelin and go elsewhere not knowing the same issues would exsist on another GPS with TeleAtlas maps.

GPRS / Bluetooth - Not really had chance to try this out fully as my new mobile which works with GPRS (SE w910i) has now been hidden away for Christmas but what I have been able to try looks really good.
Not had chance to fully try Handsfree but if it works as well as v6 then it's really good.
Now what would be good is if with the Bluetooth handsfree connection voice commands could be implemented so you could say 'GPS home' Laughing

Safety functions - Really nice extras, not been able to try them fully. However not all of the functions have TTS implemented which is a real shame as on the x980t it would be nice for TTS to be implemented for as much as possible.
The speed warner may get turned off soon as clearly TeleAtlas have not recorded the speeds of the roads correctly. It was warning me that I was going too fast on a 40mph road doing the speed of the road, whats funny about this is the fact the road was previously a 60mph road. One function that I may have to turn off unless Stu is able to get TeleAtlas to sort out the mapping issues. (This is one time where I think TeleAtlas being brought out by TomTom or Garmin could be a good thing as at least the quality of the maps should improve).
Also very odd is in the town I live we have 2 primary schools, one being older than the other but both been here for years. On the maps the oldest school is missing and the newer school has incorrectly been given the older school name (COME ON TELEATLAS sort it out your maps are getting beyond silly now).

TMC - Reception with v7 strangly seems better? not sure fully how this is or if I'm imaginging it but it does seem to tune to TMC much quicker. However my first time using TMC it got data that a road was closed which I knew about but strangely still tried to route me down the closed road?

Voice guidence - Instructions in general are improved with extra instructions which are new in v7 like 'at the end of the road' also when coming off a major road onto a slip road it now states 'in 200 yards take the exit on the left then at the island take the 2nd exit' so at least now you know roughly which lane you will need to be in at the upcoming roundabout on the slip road. In v6 it used to leave it too late and you would find yourself having to figure out which lane you need.
So far I'm pleased with the improvements.

MP3 Player - Not sure how much I'll use this but it's a nice feature and handy that it reduces the volume of the MP3 to give the instruction. I can see the MP3 fucntion being more useful on walking tours or the tourist routes to play specific information on POI's.

New PC software - Love the interface and it seems so much easier to use. Although Sync seems very buggy on my laptop often coming up Sync failed.

All in all I love the v7 software as it's such a major improvement over v6.5, ViaMichelin keep up the good work and patch the niggling issues while working on v8.

Hope you find this an honest first impression of v7. Overall I love the new version but admit there are a few things which could do with fixing in patches but I have ever confidence that if these issues are reported they will very likely be fixed.
I'm sure as I use v7 more I'll add more comments too this post, as I'm sure I've not covered all the improvements in v7.
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report and I will pass it on to our development team.

As for V8 - I know a few things already and its looking good!!

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Thanks for the report and I will pass it on to our development team.

As for V8 - I know a few things already and its looking good!!

Laughing so there is another version in development. That's so good to know Wink
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check my impressions at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=357903
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: First Impressions of v7 on the x980t Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Maps - All I can say is it's time TeleAtlas actually implement the corrections reported to them years ago, especially on roads where junctions have changed or no longer accessable to cars. (TeleAtlas provided POI's are also very out of date)
TeleAtlas really need to explain why the 2nd 2007 maps still seem out of date as it really reflects badly on the GPS. For most people they will simply blaim the GPS and possibly sell the Michelin and go elsewhere not knowing the same issues would exsist on another GPS with TeleAtlas maps.

My experience with tele atlas is that they are mostly always updated. On the Tomtom and Mio I always find that they come fully updated and include the latest construction changes. Also, look at Google mobile which exclusively uses tele atlas and those maps are always updated.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Serious bug(s) Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Also check my impressions at
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=357903

Hi,

I found some serious bugs which needed to be fixed asap. I had yesterday the chance to take a longer journey via the highway and discovered a serious problem.

When I choose the fastest route, it made me to exit the highway in order to take the sideway for 100 m of the interchange and go back on the highway again. It was very confusing and very dangerous, since this sideway isn't meant to do this. It did this twice.
I've checked the Michelin site and the problem occurs there too:
See Here
Select the fastest route and you will see, it'll 'exit' at E314,Genk,Hasselt,Leuven and at Dendermonde, Geraardsbergen, Ninove
When you choose the Michelin advised route, it doesn't do this.

Furthermore, I can confirm the delay and this becomes rather dangerous in highways. Take eg this route
See Here
Step 6 is a turn right and immediately turn left. The unit can't cope this and the visual and spoken guidance comes too late.

I also encountered two T-crossroads (outside highway) where the unit didn't say whether I needed to turn left or right. It assumed that the road continued at the left hand side, which isn't the case at all.

Lastly, the TMC is confusing. It warned me 70 km in advance for a traffic jam, which is good. The problem is that it was meant for the other direction of the highway. So I wonder how the unit is able to calculate the route keeping the TMC in mind if it interprets it wrongly. When I passed the traffic jam I saw that red arrows where in the correct directions, thus the TMC info was correct. Thus the unit has a problem over here.
Btw what is the meaning of the black arrows? I saw these multiple times.

I hope these bugs wil be fixed soon, since the make things dangerous.

Ps I wanted to report stuff on the viaMichelin site, but I don't see anything on the (Belgian) Dutch version of the site. Isn't there any support available?

Eddy

Edit Once, to ammend the links - Mike Alder
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had chance to have a bit more of a play and I really am liking the v7 software, except it seems to not like missing turns. I missed a turn but knew I could get another way, but unlike V6.5 it was almost insistant it was going to get me back onto the origonal route ignoring the fact I could get the way I was going. At one point it even tried to get me to turn right at a set of traffic lights where it clearly showed right turns are not permitted and never have been. (Dig at TeleAtlas again here)

Other than the odd weirdness with v7 I do still love the new software and find the maps much easier to see and follow on the x980t as it makes full use of the screen. If anyone ever tried the x980t with 6.5 you will know that the maps finished up no bigger than smaller screened GPS units when you have the 'pacman' mode on.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encountered yesterday a strange problem. I wanted to explain somebody which way to go and entered a start and destination and wanted to show the route on the map and the destintation didn't seem to be the one I've entered. It happened a couple of times before I did actually show the correct destination
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Sorry that I haven't been in touch for a while but to say that we are busy with the Christmas rush would be an understatement.

I just wanted to update everyone on whats going on and how we are stiull working to support you.

I have a meeting on Thursday with Product Management and while I can't promise that all the issues will be cleared up right away, I do have the list from the site (thanks to you all) and will be going through each issue.

Just to let you know the V7.02 update on the web fixes several problems including:

"Slip Road Flaw": Route would take you off some slip roads then back on again.
- Message "Corrupted data" in Content Manager, under Vista
- Dangerous curves indication (left or right) was random
- System would shut down when deleting a stage along route planning
- No route after download of MyViaMichelin via GPRS
- ... and many wording mistakes that were corrected

We will have an update arounf 17th Decenber to V7.03 which will fix the speed camera download issues some people are getiing and other issues - I will post a full list of what this changes when I have it.

I know that some of you have had an issue with creating new folders when you have downloaded V7.02 and would ask anyone who can to email me a screen shot of this error to show to the developers.

I have now got a direct line to one of the chief software developers on the team and any info you give will be directed to him to make any urgent changes which affect the use of the products. Any cosmetic changes you want to recommend will be taken on board and put forward for inclusion in V8 in March but I think we need to sort out errors first.

Thanks to you all for the support,

Regards

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just been doing some tests with the TMC and it does seem to work and divert, but it would seem regardless of the manual or auto setting it always seems to automatically re-route.
Should it be doing this? I noticed that the re-route is because of the closed road but the GPS unit doesn't even advise the road is closed.

I know it had re-routed but I would like the assurance of the display to let me know there is an issue but the GPS has took care of it.

Is this a bug or the way it's been designed to force a re-route on closed roads?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I have seen is the speed camera icons have changed? They are no longer the blue ones like on v6 which used to match the icons on the website but now they are something different that aren't as easy to see.

Can we have the old icons back please as I much prefered the blue ones (that match the website)
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said in http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=62232, I find the POI icons rather small an I guess that the I didn't recognise is the speed cameras. A list of them would be nice.

I general I would say that everything should be bigger. What's the use of putting of as much map as possible on a scren when one can't read it?
I have very good eyes and I need to pay much attention on the screen in order to see it properly, which makes things very unsafe.
I prefer having less map which is more readable when driving, even for the motorway/highway mode.

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Another thing I have seen is the speed camera icons have changed? They are no longer the blue ones like on v6 which used to match the icons on the website but now they are something different that aren't as easy to see.

Can we have the old icons back please as I much prefered the blue ones (that match the website)
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

This must be something specific to the 980 since IMHO the icons are now much clearer on the 970. WHereas previously they were embedded in the map alongside the road they now appear in a separate box to the right of the map showing the camera type and distance - clearer and easier to assimilate the information

I also like the VM derived 'fixed camera' warnings where it actually shows the speed in a red circle and gives a spoken warning rather than the chimes for the PGPSW cameras. The only aspect of that I don't like is that it doesn't differentiate between standard fixed cameras e.g. Truvelo, Gatso etc and the "deadly" average speed SPECS cameras.

I was on the Northampton ring road for the first time ever last week in the dark and couldn't see any cameras at first when warned and then suddenly realised I was in a SPECS zone where the cameras were located in the central reservation and painted blue which made them very difficult to see!
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:

I was on the Northampton ring road for the first time ever last week in the dark and couldn't see any cameras at first when warned and then suddenly realised I was in a SPECS zone where the cameras were located in the central reservation and painted blue which made them very difficult to see!

In BE it's a bit less good and far from accurate. It warns for camera's where there has been never been and the ones that stand there for ages aren't indicated. On top the speed warning isn't good at all. Sliproads gets a warning of 50 Km/h (motorways are 120 in BE) and ways where 70 Km/h is clearly indicated gets a speeding warning when over the 50Km/h

I've set both off.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
perussell wrote:

In BE it's a bit less good and far from accurate. It warns for camera's where there has been never been and the ones that stand there for ages aren't indicated. On top the speed warning isn't good at all. Sliproads gets a warning of 50 Km/h (motorways are 120 in BE) and ways where 70 Km/h is clearly indicated gets a speeding warning when over the 50Km/h

I've set both off.

I think the incorrect speed warnings is a Teleatlas problem ( you should report them to Teleatlas), and incorrect speed camera s in BE are probably down to an inaccurate speed camera database (not controlled by Michelin). The speed cameras in the UK are extremely accurate in my experience, although I have turned the speed warnings off because the Teleatlas info is not upto date.

The ViaMichelin website states for BE:

1: The ""fixed safety camera"" functionality offered covers safety camera locations announced and broadcast by the authorities.

So if your authorities cannot provide accurate data then its not a ViaMichelin issue....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: