Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V7 - SD Card Backup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V7 - SD Card Backup
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vizzair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: V7 - SD Card Backup Reply with quote

ianwarrilow wrote:
I got my 980T a few days ago and am very pleased with it so far. Navigation is pretty good and TMC works well in my area and has saved me at least one probable long wait on the M6 already. Anyway on to the real subject of the post.

I figure that taking a backup of the original card has got to be a good idea. A new Sandisk Ultra II should be arriving in the next couple of days a so I thought I would seek advice on the best way to do the backup. From what I can see it seems the way to do it is:-

Remove original card from PND, Insert new card in the PND, turn it on and connect to PC.
Use the 'Restore SD card' option from Content Manager.

Anyone got any experience of doing this and possible pitfalls ?

OR
the alternative , put the original card in a card reader and copy everything to the PC. Format the new card ( on the PC ) and copy everything to it.

Anyone tried this , does it work ?

Any advice much appreciated , many thanks in advance.

I have just got a 970 and thought this very thing. However, if you put a new SD card in the unit and attempt to connect, the unit refuses to connect as the SD isn't valid, So you cant run the Content Manager to restore the SD .. Catch 22 . You need a valid card to be able to restore a card.. Sad

I copied the orginal to a new SD card using the excellent Driveimage XML free disk copying software ( google it ), and placed the orginal in a safe place.

On the subject of SD vs SDHC , the newer SDHC uses a different format and cannot be used with standard SD card readers and equiptment, so probably not work with the units as they don't carry the new SDHC logo mark.
ianwarrilow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems absolutely crazy!!!

Maybe STU could answer this one - how are you supposed to recover from an SD card failure , unless you have a backup ?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the SD Restore is quite as bad as it looked vizzair. I've just experimented with it and, yes, CN did not recognise the unit with the blank SD card in (Panic!!).

But after investigation, I found that ActiveSync had cleared the 'Allow USB Connections' box (see Connection Settings in File - it's done that to me before). Once I set it again, I fired up CN and it gave an error message about a corrupt SD card and said to do a restore. I ok'd the message and CN then showed the normal screen with all the options. So I think (hope) there isn't a serious problem here after all.

Still if you have an SD reader (I've got a cheap USB one) a direct copy seems straightforward, as long as the new card works ok of course - I presume that doing an ordinary copy of the VM card to a suitable folder on hard disk and then a copy back onto the blank disk (including any hidden/system files) would work too (??)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: