Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please help me decide which Sat Nav to buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me decide which Sat Nav to buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allengn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Please help me decide which Sat Nav to buy? Reply with quote

New to this site, but really glad I discovered it. Has already helped me significantly.

I'm looking to buy my first Sat Nav (for Christmas). Do not need the various MP3 / Bluetooth / Picture viewing add-ons, but as I am likely to be relocating to Germany next year, it must have street-level European mapping. Budget is up to £200.

Other requirements: Need to be able to easily capture / import POI's and camera databases, is reasonably light, easy to operate and could be used occasionally out of the vehicle. Free traffic monitoring would also be nice but only if it works!

Have looked at the TT One V. 3 Europe and the Garmin Nuvi 250. Both seem to fit the bill, with neither appearing to have any major issues. Currently have slight preferences towards the Garmin purely on the basis that it takes SD cards and the slightly adverse comments on the new menu structure in the TT.

Would appreciate your views particularly if you could suggest other makes / models which fit my requirements that you think I should consider. I would also welcome any opinions on whether the additonal cost of going to the respective wide-screen versions of the above are worth the extra money.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to read.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too hung-up about menu structures. TomTom and GARMIN are different in this respect; having used both I found I got use to the differences.

Wide screen doesn't add too much - other than you get to see more map to the side of the side of the route you are on. Although it makes the menu layout less cramped.

You've narrowed the list to a couple of nice units - best advice would be to go and try them out in a shop - see how you get on with the menu structures etc.

The 'free' traffic info (TMC) is worth it if you do a lot of miles. There are issues in UK due to lower transmitter power rendering the internal aerials next to useless except near to the transmitter. This can be fixed by connecting to external aerial. In this respect then I believe that GARMIN (via TrafficMaster) have more reliable info at present - but this is a purely personal feeling based on several years of using the TM Freeway unit prior to the nuvi 660 I have.

I don't know about the 250 but the 310 and 660 have a pedestrian mode allowing you to find your way back to the car when you have forgotten where you left it Wink I suspect the 250 will have this also.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the TomTom ONE, see If you can find a TomTom ONE V2, it has an SD card slot, and as its an older model, you might get it cheaper. It won't have the newer maps or mapshare, but you could always update them later on.
allengn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Went into my local Halfords yesterday, where they had both models on display (working) and a helpful assistant.

Immediately saw that the Garmin had satellite lock, whereas the TomTom didn't. (This was inside the store, well away from the windows) Asked the Garmin to calculate a route to Düsseldorf, which it did quickly going direction I would have expected (through the Tunnel). Tried the menu systems out on both, neither would give me any cause for worry. In terms of size, felt the Garmin was slightly more compact that the TomTom.

Asked about the wide-screen versions. Shop assistant said exactly what has been said on here, that the only added benefit is that it shows a slightly wider map, but obviously costs more and is bulkier to carry around.

Have therefore decided on the Garmin. Now need to find it at the best price.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nuvi 250 is £119 at Amazon and Dixons at the moment. You can't put a traffic receiver in the 250. If you want traffic the NUVI 660 is £212 from Pentagongps. Just to add another which may be of interest, the ViaMichelin X970T Version 7 Europe from Play.com for £145, comes with traffic, bluetooth and Europe.
longitude
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Tom Tom navigator owner since the first version up to the current version running on an Dell Axim and I have always thought it did it's job very well. I would like to get a One XL or Nuvi 300/350 and am also finding it difficult to decide which one. The review on this website gave the Nuvi a glowing report but then I read on the Nuvi forum that owners were having difficulty getting their units to navigate a sensible route. The phrase "the Nuvi loves back roads" comes to mind. Not sure if Garmin have resolved this but it's put me off the Nuvi.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brand new Nuvi 660FM took me to sister-in-law via back lanes (despite faster route configuration). Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: