Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket release for Tomtom version 7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket release for Tomtom version 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like reteb, I too have been using their products for many years, originally running the software on a Psion 5 connected to an old Garmin GPS. State of the art 10 years ago.

I feel they have lost the plot a bit with the PDA market and I now use IGo which I find far superior.
TT have gradually taken customising options which I find useful out of their software so I doubt V7 if it comes will be much of an improvement.
Shame really as I guess TT have been responsible for more saved marriages than any other piece of software.
From TTs point of view I suppose there is more profit in selling dedicated PNAs rather than just the software.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briwy wrote:
Like reteb, I too have been using their products for many years, originally running the software on a Psion 5 connected to an old Garmin GPS. State of the art 10 years ago.

I feel they have lost the plot a bit with the PDA market and I now use IGo which I find far superior.
TT have gradually taken customising options which I find useful out of their software so I doubt V7 if it comes will be much of an improvement.
Shame really as I guess TT have been responsible for more saved marriages than any other piece of software.
From TTs point of view I suppose there is more profit in selling dedicated PNAs rather than just the software.

Also more control over pirated copies - which is probably the main reason for not producing V7 for the PDA (at least as a 'general release'). I was a long term TT user - similar to yourself - still have the Psion5/homemade cable and GPSII+ !

I decided at the start of the year that PNDs were the way to go and went for a GARMIN in pref to a TomTom (have been a VERY happy GARMIN handheld GPS user for lots of years). I still have TT6 on my DELL X51v but won't be updating the maps. Have not regretted the decision. The PDA is still used as business/personal tool
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

Makes me feel better to see that someone else has spent hundreds if not thousands on GPS stuff.

Psion 5, Garmin 11+ (brilliant the time), Palmtop software, bits of cable etc approx £800
More Palmtop software £150
Had people at work queing up to see this 10 years ago.
Boss so impressed he spent about £2500 on incar satnav in his BMW because he didnt like "dangly cables"--fool

Dell X5, Garmin Etrex (rubbish) more bits of cable TT3 approx £600

TT5 £100

Dell X51v, Garmin 60CSx (bloody brilliant) more cable TT6 approx £700

Holux 236 £50

Car mounts £60

Must be mad, still get lost.

Daren't let the better half see this

Brian
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you guys... 'boys toys' I guess. I'm still sold on the PDA approach, and TT6 runs just fine on my 'newish' Vario 111 with bulit in GPS. Should TT discontinue this route then I'm afraid that, looking at my sons recent purchase of the latest Co Pilot, then that's the way I will go. Pretty sad, after 8/9 years of using bits and pieces. They should remember the old saying 'We have a choice.'
Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, unfortunately, started another thread on this topic:

TomTom to stop selling software on CD's?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=362376#362376
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed the latest version of CoPilot, and so far it seems that they have re-established their place among the leaders of satnav software, albeit without TTS.

TT7 will need to be a pretty good improvement to justify major outlay, and if they don't bother with PDAs then I won't bother with them

Laurie
ladytoast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurie53 wrote:
I've just installed the latest version of CoPilot, and so far it seems that they have re-established their place among the leaders of satnav software, albeit without TTS.

TT7 will need to be a pretty good improvement to justify major outlay, and if they don't bother with PDAs then I won't bother with them

Laurie

Laurie

A lot of people wouldn't be in a financial position to purchase another solution as you have been able but I do wonder how many features people actually need to have right now (we managed for some time without sat. nav. at all after all) Smile Many people just want the latest and greatest without properly assessing their needs, they soon forget the latest and move onto the next latest. I have certainly been guilty of this in the past, hell I'm checking this thread too.

I am curious what features co-pilot has over TT6 that places it at the top of your market?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem is keeping up to date as far as maps are concerned....like buying a new road atlas each year...not that they are necessarily up to date. This is the razor blade business for the suppliers that we tend to have to get locked into.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briwy wrote:
Phil

Makes me feel better to see that someone else has spent hundreds if not thousands on GPS stuff.

Yeah - it mounts up over the years Laughing

My wife is used to it by now!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: