Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's my best move?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's my best move?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: What's my best move? Reply with quote

I have the navman 3400 sleeve for my Ipaq which I have used for over a year with their SmartNav software.

Recently I changed to Tom Tom Nav 2 software which I much prefer, but the TTFF is now unbearable! I suspect this is down to the navman hardware working with the Tom Tom driver.

So the question is, which is the best hardware to go for to work with Tom Tom Nav 2 software. I have an ipaq 3970 which has bluetooth, so that is an option, and I also already own a compact flash sleeve, so that is too.

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

Ian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer depends on your usage and the amount of cash you have to spend. You could choose from a newer Jacket type receiver such as the Emtac, a CF GPS, a mouse GPS or a Bluetooth solution.

If your sole use is in-car then the simplest and most efficient set-up is often a GPS Mouse but you are then tiede to 12v power. CF is a convenient form factor but it is not ideal for in-car use and the most adpatable of the lot is Bluetooth but as you can guess this is the most expensive.

If you wish to use in-car primarily but have the option to use away from your vehicle on occasion with maximum compatability should you upgarde your PocketPC in the future go Bluetooth.
IB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren

I was tending towards bluetooth, so that has sort of made my mind up.

Having a loook through the reviews, I think the GlobalSat BT308 Bluetooth GPS Receiver looks particularly good.

However I couldn't see it in the list of drivers for TomTom Nav2 - do you know if it works with the software ok?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does, TomTom does not have a setting for every available GPS (and many fo them are there just to make set-up a little easier) but so long as the one you choose is NMEA compatable (and the GlobalSat is) then it will work with TomTom perfectly. Just set TomTom to use the BT Com Port, NMEAv0183 as the protocol and 4800bps as the port speed.

Another thing is HP chose to re-badge the Globalsat BC-308 in the US for use with their GPS package so if they think it's worthy of their badge it must be a plus Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: