Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion GoPal 210 with TT5 - No GPS Signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion GoPal 210 with TT5 - No GPS Signal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFifth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Medion GoPal 210 with TT5 - No GPS Signal Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've installed TomTom 5 on my GoPal 210 and the software seems to be running fine, however I never seem to get a valid GPS signal.

I have configured TomTom to use 'Other Cable NMEA GPS' and set the GPS baud rate to 4800. I then select 'GPS serial COM2'.

The indication in TomTom changes from 'No GPS Device' to 'No valid GPS signal' so I assume that TomTom has found the GPS receiver OK.

The problem is it never seems to get a valid signal. In the GPS status screen I can see several gray, numbered dots begin to appear on the compass, but they never turn blue and I get no strength indication in the bars.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? The normal navigation software that comes with the 210 seems to pick up satellites without any problems, so I guess the GPS receiver is working. Is the baud rate incorrect?

Any help greatly appreciated!
TheFifth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update...

After leaving the GPS on in my car during a journey, it eventually got a signal after about 15-20 minutes.

Does everyone else find that establishing a valid GPS signal takes a very long time using TomTom 5 on a GoPal 210?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After leaving the GPS on in my car during a journey, it eventually got a signal after about 15-20 minutes.

Wait for a valid GPS signal BEFORE driving off.
TheFifth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

Wait for a valid GPS signal BEFORE driving off.

I did initially! I left the unit stationary for around 10 minutes before setting off, then after another 15-20 minutes it found a signal.

When I use the navigator software that came with the unit it picks up a signal in around 30 to 90 seconds, so the GPS is working fine. I'm experimenting with the baud rate settings in TomTom to see if this has an effect and will report back. Initially it doesn't seem to but I've not had time to do a full test yet.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I use the navigator software that came with the unit it picks up a signal in around 30 to 90 seconds, so the GPS is working fine.
Until recently I was using TTN5 on my Mio P350 and was having to wait, sometimes ages, for a 'lock'. I always assumed it was because of my cars Athermic windscreen but recently changed to iGO 2006+ and I get locks in under 30 seconds. It also now gets a lock indoors where I couldn't with TT.

Same device, same car, so problem appears to be TT on a non TT device.

Oh, and baud rate. Most devices I've come across use 4800 except the Navman Pin 570 which is 9600.
TheFifth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update after a few tests.

I've set the baud rate to 2400 which seems a little better, although 4800 seems to work too. TT5 still takes ages to pick up a lock, however I have discovered that if I run the built in Navigator software and let that pick up a GPS signal (around 30 seconds), then close navigator and quickly open TomTom, TT5 picks up the signal straight away and holds the lock perfectly from then on. It even reacquires the signal quickly after traveling through a tunnel.

Thanks Lost_Property, It's good to hear it's not only me that's having issues! Letting the Medion software pick up the GPS signal before running TT5 is not a big deal, so I'm happy that this works.

I find the software that came with the GoPal 210 to be a little crappy. It constantly gives incorrect audio instructions and the animated map updates really slowly. I find it's all too easy to take a wrong turn on a complicated junction. TT5 works better and is far more usable, so I'm glad I've got it working at a reasonable level.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted.

Quote:
Same device, same car, so problem appears to be TT on a non TT device.
I should have added, it was getting the initial lock which was the main problem with TT. I found, when experimenting with WinFastCE, I could get a lock quite fast. Closed Winfast and started TT and as you say, everything fine after that.

All the signals are sent every second with the VGA string coming every five. A baud rate of 4800 is fast enough for all the data to be collected. A baud rate of 2400 may 'clip' some of the data and may slow things down slightly.
DeLorean
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone find a fix for the slow TomTom GPS lock issue?

I love using the Medion 210T as a cheap mini TomTom, but the GPS issue is a real pain.

P.S. the Medion works much better through my athermic windscreen than my TomTom ever did Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: