Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - False Alerts on Tomtom One XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

False Alerts on Tomtom One XL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul317
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: False Alerts on Tomtom One XL Reply with quote

If you are on the M5 passing junction 17 (Cribbs Causeway), either north or southbound, you get a mobile 30 alert and a redlight camera alert. The mobile camera is 6091 and just off the motorway. There are 4 redlight cameras grouped closeley together - 9471, 9472, 9202 and 9203 - I dont' know which one generates the warning. I have my Tomtom One XL set to warn only if on route. Is this a Tomtom bug or a bug in the Safety Camera Database?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably 9471. It's only 30 yards from the Motorway and 'on Route' carries a certain amount of left- and right-hand sweeping.

Also the screen position of roads on the Device are not necessarily 'real life'. Close, but just a graphical depiction.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent versions of the TomTom software and maps have widened the scope of what is considered "on route". I get a lot more false alerts now on specific cameras that have not moved in the database.

The worst situation is at motorway junctions the sliproads and the usual roundabout at the end of them are now considered "on route" even when you are staying on the motorway. This didn't used to be the case with v5 software but was bought in with one of the v6 versions.
Paul317
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Autoroute the mobile camera is 97 yards away from the motorway and the nearest redlight camera is 44 yards away. I would say that anything more than 10 yards should be considered off-route. I didn't have a TomTom back in the V5 days but it sounds like they had a better algorithm then.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar situation close to where I live (on the A34, near the M42 junction). There is a camera on the northbound side of the dual carriageway, just north of a roundabout. If I travel southbound, I always get warned about this northbound camera, just as I am about to pass it.

My belief is that I am getting warned because I could potentially go round the roundabout and back past the camera, as this roughly corresponds to the warning distance I get. The warning is far too close to be due to "right-hand sweeping".
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul317 wrote:
I would say that anything more than 10 yards should be considered off-route. I didn't have a TomTom back in the V5 days but it sounds like they had a better algorithm then.

Don't forget that TomTom are not thinking about cameras!
The POI system is for lots more, you wouldn't want the TomTom to NOT tell you about a Petrol Station because it was 10 yards off your route would you?

I guess that is why they have widened the catchment area and included entire junctions. The fact it (slightly) messes up using it for camera warnings, doesn't worry them particularly...they want you to use their own camera warnings, after all! (and they work slightly differently).
Paul317
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Don't forget that TomTom are not thinking about cameras!
The POI system is for lots more, you wouldn't want the TomTom to NOT tell you about a Petrol Station because it was 10 yards off your route would you?

You could untick the "warn only if on route" box for the other POIs. Up until now cameras have been the only category I've been interested in on my route.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but my main point is that TT aren't interested in changing things to make it work for OUR camera database, when they are trying to sell us their own.
Paul317
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your point. However, I feel that they ought to be concerned that "on route" should mean just that, and not "on another road running parallel but 100 yards away"!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite agree, it annoys me too!
But it looks like they've changed it deliberately, for whatever reason... Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: